AVIC411.com

iPhone Charging Problems SOLVED w/ iPhone 4

VBLUE...good god...please stop telling everyone to check and replace their cables. WE HAVE!!! Im on my third cable and still having intermittent problems. I have a 3GS with avic f700bt with pioneer cables. I can get it to charge about one out of every four tries. I hate to rant...but unless you have something more constructive to say other then..."rip your unit back out and replace with another 50$ cable and try again" you should reconsider. Maybe just because something works well for you...you may be lucky...others, in the case of this forum...are having legit problems.

jb, you have one post, so welcome!

As Vblue and many others have found over time, the number 1 issue with ipod and iphone connectivity is indeed cheap cables, individuals come and go and say "I bought this $10 cable on ebay and it works, so ALL ebay cables are fine!" but the empirical data on the site over the years shows over and over that cheap cables are at the root of more issues then good quality cables.

VBLUE...good god...please stop telling everyone to check and replace their cables.

I hate to rant...but unless you have something more constructive to say other then..."rip your unit back out and replace with another 50$ cable and try again" you should reconsider.

I am not going to reconsider anything. Replacing the cable is the first line of troubleshooting. It should be considered the first component to fail and usually is. Maybe you should take about a week and search the troubleshooting forum and count the amount of times the cable was the problem as opposed to anything else. Regardless, this is easy to eliminate. Go to Best Buy and buy either a new Pioneer or Apple Composite AV cable. If the problem doesn't go away then you can return the cable. Then at least you will know that you have another problem. I would expect a noob like you however to be able to figure that out on your own. So as soon as you do have something useful to contribute yourself, please feel free to let us know.

VBLUE...good god...please stop telling everyone to check and replace their cables. WE HAVE!!! Im on my third cable and still having intermittent problems. I have a 3GS with avic f700bt with pioneer cables. I can get it to charge about one out of every four tries. I hate to rant...but unless you have something more constructive to say other then..."rip your unit back out and replace with another 50$ cable and try again" you should reconsider. Maybe just because something works well for you...you may be lucky...others, in the case of this forum...are having legit problems.

The iphone 3GS DOES NOT CHARGE PROPERLY WITH THE F SERIES DUE TO ITS OLDER APPLE CHIP! This has been confirmed by Pioneer. That is the reason that I purchased an X910bt BECAUSE it has the new Apple chip that charges the iphone 3GS. I have since gone to the IOS4 software for my 3GS and found that it does charge in my F700 (now a spare that I use for modding and testing), but NOT ALWAYS. This is a hardware problem and nothing else, this cannot be fixed unless you go with the X series of AVIC's. The iphone 3GS charges EVERYTIME in my X series, and that is why I upgraded

• 1 month later...

There's no chip that controls the charging. It's only a certain resistor value in the plug, so the Apple Composite Video Cable, which is designed to charge an iPhone 3GS, and let it output video (that's the only thing the Apple chip controls), will charge your iPhone. JVC also has a cable they make for some of their head units that will also work. I use one in my car with my F700BT.

• 4 weeks later...

ok - months later - i have an update for everyone

so - my problems with pioneer's cable got worse and worse - at first, it would just intermittently charge - then, i was only able to get audio out of the left speakers - then it wouldnt charge my iphone at all (and still - audio out of the left channel only) - then when i bought my iphone 4, i lost the ability to skip to a certain letter in searching through songs/artists/etc - and finally, it wouldnt charge the iphone - and i could barely hear any audio from the left channel (in addition to the no audio coming from the right channel)

i finally got around to installing the apple branded cable and now EVERYTHING works as it should

- audio from both channels

- my iphone charges every single time i plug it in

- im able to skip to a certain letter when searching through albums and songs

a lot of people were giving vblue flack for recommending the purchase of the apple branded cable - but in my case - it solved all of my problems

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know what everyone's issue is... but apparently I dont have it.

Ive had my iPhone 3GS since August of 2009 (that was before iOS 4.0) and have been using it with my AVIC-F700BT without any issues. Granted every time I plug it in to the head unit, it says "Device is not optimized for this product" or whatever, but other than that it works flawlessly. All iPod controls work, I can watch videos, etc. Every once in a while I'd have trouble getting it to charge, but I contribute that to the awkward angle the iPod cable connects to the iPhone at when its sitting in the cradle I have in my car.

• 1 month later...

OK...finally got around to trying out the "apple branded" cable. Same issue for me. Does not charge...everything else works fine. I have to come to the conclusion that as others have said this is a hardware issue stemming from the AVIC itself. There is no one solution fits all here...as much as VBLUE would like to think so. If you'd like I can invite you over to my house and you can watch me install the cable...we can both stare in awe as the 3GS does not charge....

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 3G iPhone and it charged and worked fine (sans the pixelation when you zoom in on the album art). I recently got a 3Gs as a hand me down from my sister and I plugged it in and it charged fine.

Then I wiped it and installed the latest OS and it now will no longer charge and gives me the message "This device is not optimized....".

This does not appear to be a hardware problem at all, rather a firmware issue.

Without the charging I'm debating on keeping my 3G as I do long rides while on calls and need it to be charged. I don't want to upgrade to an iPhone 4 as that means I'm stuck for 2 years.

Any other input to this issue would be appreciated.