AVIC411.com

Power-Off delay module

I was looking into making a delay circuit to prevent our Avics from rebooting during cranking when you start your car when I came across what looks like could be a good solution.

This option could allow adjustable shut down delay.

What do you think?

http://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=EK01

Good option?

With this mod you wouldnt have to pull from your ignition wire as the power being provided to your deck would simply come from the 12v constant you already have hooked up to your radio. Basically the 12v acc wire would be used as a switch for the delay.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking into making a delay circuit to prevent our Avics from rebooting during cranking when you start your car when I came across what looks like could be a good solution.

This option could allow adjustable shut down delay.

What do you think?

http://www.sailorsso...tails&Item=EK01

Good option?

With this mod you wouldnt have to pull from your ignition wire as the power being provided to your deck would simply come from the 12v constant you already have hooked up to your radio. Basically the 12v acc wire would be used as a switch for the delay.

An even better (and cheaper - through Amazon $19.49 linky) option is the PAC TR-7 module. It does many things, and is primarily used as a parking-brake bypass for Alpine NAV units. But is also is a relay with a programmable delay for both ON and OFF. The manual makes it look a little daunting, but many have said it isn't that complicated Manual. See feature #12. Only 4 wires are needed for this function (black, red, green, blue)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to bite the bullet and try this PAC unit out. It should arrive here sometime next week and i'll let you know if it works with my 06 Dodge RAM and the Z120 AVIC.

Hope you also saw this other thread. Especially that last post (although you might want to read back a few. http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/31218-how-to-avoid-reboot-when-starting-vehicle/page__view__findpost__p__233448

• 1 month later...

The PAC-TR7 is the way to go. I use this with no problem (I also use more than one for other things as well). As mentioned, the manual looks daunting, but you only need, power, ground, and your switched wires, and you can switch 12V or ground (blue or brown wires). Think through the programming. Read it until you understand it and it's actually quite easy to do once the light bulb goes on in your head. Try it a couple of times and if you goof, just start over again. You probably can't hurt the PAC unit. If I remember correctly, I used program 6 (but don't quote me).

You can also use a relay on the switched power line to the avic with a capacitor and resistor on the line, but the PAC unit is a better way to go. Good luck. And enjoy.

hg

I always wanted to know how it restarted, cant you rewire one of the wires with a constant 12 so the ignition 12 doesnt affect it or something?

wiring up the decks acc power to a true igntion wire will avoid reboot.

during ignition start up at the key cylinder, first click energizes acc. 2nd click energizes acc and igntion. while in start position, starter circuit eniergizes, acc loses 12v, igntion remains energized.

its odd you say that because I tried doing that already with a true constant 12 and it didnt work. But maybe I miss thought my wires... I'll try again sometime hmm

use a digital multi meter. Probe the wire your testing. if it reads 12 volts while the key is being cranked, you found it. Depending on some cars, they're might be a horrible voltage drop. If so, you can use a relay to trigger continuous power feed to the head unit when in either acc or igntion state.

• 4 months later...

I have an f700bt and the startup time (45-60 secs) is annoying... especially if you just turn off the car for 5-10 mins.

I also have an u310bt, which they seemed to have solved this problem by using a separate PNA faceplace (much like other portable gps devices) which has a battery in it and can go into lower power standby mode.

Thanks to this thread I have been reading through the PAC TR-7 manual, and for 15 bucks shipped on ebay, i dont think you can beat the various functionality of the thing.

Looks like i want to use mode #12 - "3 programmable timer outputs on constant trigger"

However, the max delay time indicated above was less than 5 mins. This seems just a bit short for me.. I would think my sweet spot would be between 10-15 mins of delay-to-off.

I also saw this relay-delay-turn-off design while googling: http://www.astron.nl...v/poweroff.html

I like this guys idea, mainly because it could preset to do a longer, say ~10 mins, delay, but is fixed and can slightly vary since the timing is based upon the capacitor drain characteristics. Anyhow, any value between 10-15 mins seems like it would do.

Since we only need to power the acc (red) line and not the battery (yellow) line, and my understanding is the main current draw is off the battery (yellow), I was thinking about simplifying his design a bit to eliminate the relay, and go straight to using the mosfet for the switching task on radio acc line. (also note his corrections on his site about wiring of mosfet leads and the resistor values for the manual-off switch..

poweroff.gif

I see that the B+ (battery, yellow) line on the avics is rated at about 10A, and this must be the main load carrying line. However, I'm wondering if anybody has done real world current measurement test on ACC+ (acc/ign, red) line to see how much draw i will need to handle with the mosfet?

On the other hand, the PAC TR-7 looks nice:

I see that the TR-7 can power up to 2A @ 12vdc. I would hope acc line doesnt draw more than a few hundred mA max!

I'm also thinking about the fact that when acc power goes off, I want to delay the turn-off of the unit, but I may want to mute the unit. So I'm reading over the instructions and wondering if somehow we can use the delays on this...