AVIC411.com

need help my unit wont boot

well just got my unit back they give me a new HD and still locked Grrrrr

so no chance of getting the password from them cus they dont program the drives they come preloaded so that just sucks .

why is it that A-ff wont give us the PW its 1 PW for all the units ???

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this being my first post, I first want to thak you all for the tremendous help you have been with my installation and operation of my pre june Z1. I have been following these posts for several months now and I like many others am excited by the fact that the HDD can be copied.

However not all of us would have the equipment ( proper computer, balls etc.) to un-lock and copy the HDD. So.... I'm just saying....that if somebody with the proper equipment were to, maybe, ahem, go on google and type in Toshiba mk 3029 gace and find all of the companys willing to sell that HDD for less than $150.00 (because I really doubt if Pioneer would sell it) and....maybe....Clone their unlocked ( having the extra HDD will allow for the personal stuff to be cleaned without having to redo it all) image and sell it for about $200.00 there my be a few people that would then have their back-up HDD to play around with. Just a thought. besides wouldn't it be great to have, especialy if there was more than one user...he could pop in his own hard drive and all of his stuff would be as he/she wants it. (something for pioneer to develop for future units).

well just got my unit back they give me a new HD and still locked Grrrrr

Yah, I would have guessed that.

so no chance of getting the password from them cus they dont program the drives they come preloaded so that just sucks .

That doesn't surprise me.

why is it that A-ff wont give us the PW its 1 PW for all the units ???

It's one 1 PW for every thoshiba drive (even not used by pioneer), but it's probably the same password for ever Z1.

A-FF won't tell us because of 2 reasons:

1. They know but if they told us then we wouldn't need to pay them $50

or

2. They don't know it but they figured out how to write a "known" password over the build in one, then their software unlocks the drive with the new password it just overwrote over the stock password from Pioneer.

Just a guess.

ohh BTW i can get as many drive as i want MSRP $459 my price $240 Canadian

So that's $78.54 American? :)

• 1 month later...

:shock: Just wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade to the 40GB HDD that toshiba offers for automobile's. I believe the model # MK4036GAC. It has the same specs as the current 30Gb HDD in the z1. I was thinking of copying the image and transfering it to the new drive. I found this link were they are selling the HDD for $58.00.

http://store.generalsales.com/product_i ... 2e65119cfa

almost sounds too good to be true but I'll do some more research.

To my knowledge no one has tried this. I know copying an image works cause I have copied my image to a hard drive messed up the stock drive and restored it back with the image I made.

But any time I have tried to create a new drive with that same image, no luck. I didn't have an automotive drive to try and only tried it with the laptop drives I owned. If you want to spend the money go for it.

I was thinking of trying it, but if it didn't work, I have not use for a 40 gig laptop drive, that's too small for me to use on a laptop. So I never bought one. If it doesn't work and you are stuck with it and have a use for it anyway, go for it.

well turns out that they are an hour away from where i live and they do have a local store. I'm going to be in that area later on this week so I am going to swing by and check them out. If all looks well then I am going to pick up one or two. ducatiboy, are you using norton gost to mirror the drive or just backing it up? thanx