AVIC411.com

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my AR1 in March 2012 during the Best Buy sale ($200) but I assume it still has the old old firmware 2.22 on it, since it doesn't show what firmware I have under settings on the AR1. I installed a regular 5-pronged relay because my wife didn't want to have a switch on the dash.

The only way I can get AR1 to play videos is to do the following:

-turn car on --> wait for AR1 to load --> when it loads, plug in your iPhone --> wait for it sync with AR1 --> click on the "Apps" icon on AR1 --> warning will come up but you cannot click "ok" to go beyond this point

--> turn off your car with your iPhone still connected --> turn on your car again --> AR1 should load up quickly --> click on "Apps" icon again on AR1 --> should go to a different screen to tell you to connect your iPhone --> click "ok" --> takes you to a blank screen --> start video/youtube on iPhone and video should play back on the AR1

Okay I just discovered this by accident. I have a brake bypass relay. It worked great through 2.22 but would not work with any of the newer versions. I by accident updated to AppRadio 1.7 which messed things up. So I went ahead and updated to firmware 2.50. 2.50 definitely is faster and Bluetooth works much better, but I couldn't use any of my apps because the brake bypass was broken. I also have Mike’s AppExts on.

Here’s the discovery; in my car if I start my car and wait till the AppRadio has booted up with AppRadio app up, I can’t use my apps. If I leave everything plugged in and shut off my car (take my key out) and then restart my car, everything works. So for now till I come up with another fix this works in my car everytime.

Update: I don't have to start my car, just turn the key till accessories come on, wait to boot up, turn off, key must come out, put key back in. You can either start the car or just turn to accessories and either way the brake bypass works. So if we could put a delay on the relay for about a minute, I think it would work.

• 2 weeks later...

is anybody having issues with the switch on 2.5? i tried to use maps and motionx to type in an address for directions but it wouldnt allow me to type, the warning screen came up and i used my switch but only cancel showed up and nothing about accept.

possibly just a one time issue, have no tried since

I just picked up my App Radio 2 unit today from best buy. After a playing around with a relay, I accidentally stumbled across a much easier fix. Basically you just need a switch. Hook up the parking brake wire from the harness to the switch and ground that wire to the car also (you will either need a second wire or you can cut some of the parking brake wire to ground it). Do not do anything else to the switch and it will work perfectly once you flip it on and off a few times.

You can test it out by taking the parking brake wire from the harness and touching it to the frame of the car a few times and it will read it is the parking brake being released and unreleased (touching frame=parking brake on; not touching frame=parking brake off). Leave it against the frame and press the okay button and you are good to go. When you remove the wire from the frame, it will show up as the parking brake being deactivated. The switch does this for you when you flick it on and off.

Edit: The switch is just a basic toggle switch that I was using to turn my radar detector on and off easier.

Edit2: Wiring Diagram of how I hooked it up. Hope it helps. http://i.imgur.com/fnamG.png

I just picked up my App Radio 2 unit today from best buy. After a playing around with a relay, I accidentally stumbled across a much easier fix. Basically you just need a switch. Hook up the parking brake wire from the harness to the switch and ground that wire to the car also (you will either need a second wire or you can cut some of the parking brake wire to ground it). Do not do anything else to the switch and it will work perfectly once you flip it on and off a few times.

You can test it out by taking the parking brake wire from the harness and touching it to the frame of the car a few times and it will read it is the parking brake being released and unreleased (touching frame=parking brake on; not touching frame=parking brake off). Leave it against the frame and press the okay button and you are good to go. When you remove the wire from the frame, it will show up as the parking brake being deactivated. The switch does this for you when you flick it on and off.

Edit: The switch is just a basic toggle switch that I was using to turn my radar detector on and off easier.

Edit2: Wiring Diagram of how I hooked it up. Hope it helps. http://i.imgur.com/fnamG.png

EDIT I followed your directions ( I think) I just ran a ground wire from a screw on the radio itself to the switch and then ran the parking brake to the switch as well and jackpot! works like a charm, very happy.

Stop using a relay people...Just install a switch.........so much simpler and it only took all of 30 min to do

+100000!

Take it from someone who's tried a relay and a Pac TR7. They both worked......for a short time. Save yourself money and aggravation, the switch is the best way.

+100000!

Take it from someone who's tried a relay and a Pac TR7. They both worked......for a short time. Save yourself money and aggravation, the switch is the best way.

I'm switching alright, to a different HU and brand. I've had it with this fiasco. I'll I want to do is get in my car and be able to use my head unit. There is constantly something going array. I'm finding myself lately not even plugging my phone in, which makes it almost totally useless except the radio and the ironically the Bluetooth works. I'm switching to a unit that doesn't require an iPhone connection.

I'm switching alright, to a different HU and brand. I've had it with this fiasco. I'll I want to do is get in my car and be able to use my head unit. There is constantly something going array. I'm finding myself lately not even plugging my phone in, which makes it almost totally useless except the radio and the ironically the Bluetooth works. I'm switching to a unit that doesn't require an iPhone connection.

you knew before even buying the APPRADIO that it requires an iphone connection to be useful lol

I need some clarification from you guys who are using a toggle switch as a break bypass.

As far as switch wiring, are you just tying one side of the switch to the Pb wire coming out of the radio and the other to ground?

I'm still a bit confused as to what signal the radio is looking for. Is it 12v-ground-12v or is it continuity-open-continuity?

I need some clarification from you guys who are using a toggle switch as a break bypass.

As far as switch wiring, are you just tying one side of the switch to the Pb wire coming out of the radio and the other to ground?

I'm still a bit confused as to what signal the radio is looking for. Is it 12v-ground-12v or is it continuity-open-continuity?

Yes just run the parking brake wire directly from the radio to the switch, then run a ground wire from any metal part of the car to the switch as well. For me I just ran a ground wire from a screw on the side of the radio to the switch and worked like a charm.