AVIC411.com

Z 130BT speed display

Does anyone know if you can see the speed displayed on the screen?

No disrespect, but if you are referring to the real-time speed of your vehicle, this information is useless to constantly display on your head unit; this is why we have speedometers. Redundant info will only clutter the screen.

Now, if you are referring to the speed-limit of the road you are traveling, as RGARJR stated, there is no option to enable this feature. I would agree that this would be a great feature to have displayed on the screen. But, then again, you would have no excuse for the patrol officer when he/she stops you for speeding. :sad:

No disrespect, but if you are referring to the real-time speed of your vehicle, this information is useless to constantly display on your head unit; this is why we have speedometers. Redundant info will only clutter the screen.

Now, if you are referring to the speed-limit of the road you are traveling, as RGARJR stated, there is no option to enable this feature. I would agree that this would be a great feature to have displayed on the screen. But, then again, you would have no excuse for the patrol officer when he/she stops you for speeding. :sad:

I disagree. Not everyone's speedometer is accurate. I have a modified truck with larger than stock tires. My dash speedometer is off about 9%. I don't need this feature, but I did want to point out the need for others...

• 2 weeks later...

^ I have a sti on stock size tires and my spedo is still off. I use to have the alpine 900bt that showed the speed and with 3 other gps units and confirmation from a police radar, the gps was totaly correct. my speedo was 4 mph off. this was also true with a 07 gli i use to have.

^ I have a sti on stock size tires and my spedo is still off. I use to have the alpine 900bt that showed the speed and with 3 other gps units and confirmation from a police radar, the gps was totaly correct. my speedo was 4 mph off. this was also true with a 07 gli i use to have.

Agreed, its nice to know what your speedo error is, specially for me since I like to go slightly above the limit (but not enough to get ticketed).

You can display the speed in the 3D Calibration Status screen. And once you figure your speedo error, it isn't necessary to display it on the main screen all the time. The error will be a fixed ratio. For example, I found that when my speedo reads 50mph (at constant speed), the 3D calibration screen says about 48. So, I have about 4% error. Or -1 MPH for each 25 on the speedo.It isn't hard to figure (in rough numbers) that at 30MPH speedo I'm only going about 29. At 75MPH I'm going 72. Or at 100MPH, I'm going 96. Of course, my car has a digital speedo readout, so that makes it slightly easier.

I don't need to see the GPS speed all the time and I think the AVIC screen is already too cluttered.

• 1 month later...

Hey all. New to the AVIC forums. I struggled with two different Kenwood models for various reasons before moving over to Pioneer. I've only had the Z130BT in my truck for 2 days, but all in all I have to say I'm pretty satisfied. At least the unit doesn't randomly reboot when listening to HD radio like the DNX-6960 did or have a slow as Christmas interface like the DNX-6980.

Anyways, I thought I would shed some light on the Speed Limit notifications for GPS units. My understanding from a Crutchfield rep, is that Garmin designed and owns the speed limit database that you see used in certain systems. This is why all of the Kenwoods have that feature. JVC had speed limits as well, but they use a version of Google Maps who have designed that in their system as well.

I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but they tech sounded like he knew what he was talking about and it makes some sense.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My F700BT is hacked a bit, but it has a speed readout and it has saved me a few times. My speedometer is off since I'm using 235/45R17 tires instead of 225/45R17 tires. Doesn't sound like much, but it accounts for about 4mph at 70, and if you're trying to squeeze 5mph over the limit you end up about 9 over the limit and that will get you a ticket.

Lots of upgraded hacks were available for the F700BT...I guess I have to find something for the Z130...if it's available...

would the speed read out on the Unit if it had this option be the same as the spedomter readout since to get speed you have to run to your VSS Veicle Speed Sensor wire

i would think that is how it picks up how fast you are going am i wrong ?

No, it is more accurate because it calbrates the VSS with the GPS over a period of time. Speedos usually have an error of 1-5%.