AVIC411.com

XM vs Sirius

XM or Sirius  

33 members have voted

1. 1. XM or Sirius

• XM
    • Sirius

I recently bought the infamous Z1 and subscribed to Sirius Sat. radio. I'm
Satisfied with the programing but dissatisfied with the Z1 display. I would have least expected a display of the Categories to choose from. Anyway, reading the difference between XM and Sirius functionality on the Z1, It seems that pioneer favored XM and offered a better display and layout of the channels and category. Can anyone tell me the major difference.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure with the z1, but coming from a d1/d2 i can agree. i started out with sirius and absolutely hated it. I also noticed the sound quality wasn't even tape quality. then i went sold my sirius tuner and went xm, and everything seemed to get better. i'll have my z1 installed soon enough...i'll be posting my thoughts on the z1 with xm nav traffic asap.
[quote name="tgrove"]the display of your sriuis aslo depends on which tuner you are using

SIRPNR1 or SIRPNR2?[/quote]
Is there a difference between the display options/features/sound quality? What are the significant differences? I was hoping the display would show the album art, Artist, Track, Channel... all together.
I started with XM 3 years ago and added Sirius also so I can speak to both. In fact I have both the XM Traffic and sirus recievers hooked up to my Z1. The difference in sound quality, less commercials, better signal strength, less cut outs, all go to Sirius. I never listen to music on XM, the bandwith on their channels SUCKS... I like both for Sports, traffic etc, but if I had to choose one it would be Sirius. It is widely known that XM has bandwith issues on many channels, thats why their talk channels sound like you are listening through a tin can an string.
Personally, I'm having more "cut-outs" with the SIR1 than I did with my old FM Sirius adapter... looks like I might have to upgrade to the SIR2. OR, start moving the warts around on the back of the Mustang.

I've also got both XM and Sirius installed although I tend only to listen to Sirius Channel 11 (Radio 1 from the UK)
I love Sirius... and would choose Sirius over XM if I had to choose. Thankfully I have them both and NavTraffic. BUT, while Sirius blows XM out 98% of the time, ya cant beat Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour! What a programming home run for XM.

Sirius programming is more cutting edge. Very polarized programming. From Howard Stern to the Catholic Church to Hair Nation to Martha Stewart!
XM is more middle of the road. Designed to accomodate greater mass appeal. Less controversial.

There is no right or wrong as to which is better, but I certainly see where the 2 have differing strategies to go after market share.

~Sh
Will one of the posters with both xm/sirius describe the screen display/interface differences? Can you choose genres for station selection on both? Is the artist name/song title displayed on the z1 for both?

Also, where is the best place to install the antenna? I have a 06 4 runner and would rather not have to wire under the rubber weather stripping for fear of water leaking in. . . . .I would rather put it in the front grill, etc but have heard mounting location can drastically effect reception??

Thanks for all the help
Well I ordered XM last night. I got three months free radio and free activation. Then asked for three months of navtraffic. First off the people at XM are COMPLETE IDIOTs. Yes, if you're reading this and you work at the XM call center I just called you an utter moron. Call me and I'll be glad to call you plenty of other things.

1. I called from my home phone was hung up on 4 times in the middle of activation with the human activators, not the machine!
2. I asked for 3 months of navtraffic. Was told it was 3.99 a mth after the first people said 3.33 a mth and then 11.97 in activation. Well I looked online at my CC statement and I'm somehow charged 18.97. Who the heck knows how that happened? But I'm not calling again unless it goes out in three months.
3. On the way to work this morning 694E (a major highway just outside minneapolis) was crawling at 20 mph and NavTraffic thought everything was rosy green the entire way. I guess it'll get a better test on the way home though as I'll pay more attention to it.
4. I like country music and the local stations up here in MN are horrible so anything is better then what I have (minus the awesome collection on my new iPod, which I LOVE BY THE WAY, now I know why everyone owns these things). XM country stations have been ok so far.
5. The person on the phone said all I would have to do is call if I was activating another XM radio to use around the house and it would be free as all I need is the one service (XM Radio). That there would be no addional fees or activation. Well I'm looking on the internet and it looks to me like you have to pay for a family plan and activation on the radio. Is everyone at this company a dumbass or is it me for not reading the internet right? This is kind of a big deal because I'd like to put one in the back yard by the pool and don't feel like paying for a month for it.

Duke
My experience is that they are all dumbasses.

I was able to get a package w/ Audio and NavTraffic only after 4 calls to XM. In the end, while I did get a discount on the audio piece by going quarterly...a quarterly billing of NavTraffic gave me no discount. Just the monthly price times 3.

After many experiences adding, deleting and swapping radios on the Sirius website and thru their customer service, its staggering just how much more together Sirius is. Granted Im partial to the Sirius service, but looking objectively at both customer care operations, Sirius is substantially better.

As soon as the NavTraffic and Sirius thing take off...I MIGHT just end up dropping XM. However, it looks like the Z1 will not support a Sirius traffic system. Its all tightly coded to XM. Cross that bridge when we get there. Right now Id be happy with a 'PNR3' that offers something as simple as channel numbers in the preset buttons!!
[quote name="tburns21"]Will one of the posters with both xm/sirius describe the screen display/interface differences? Can you choose genres for station selection on both? Is the artist name/song title displayed on the z1 for both?
[/quote]

Anyone?

My Z1 is going in soon and I was just thinking about this.