AVIC411.com

I spoke with Pioneer today regarding Z1's Woes and Fixes

Did the rep tell you what the cost of the map update will be? Also, what will be the cost to fully update from the Z1 to Z2?

Nah I didn't get into that... I got upset when I found out they were marketing a new player when it was just the same old thing with a new update... who knows... we will see. He was telling me about the bluetooth update that is supposedly out that fixes the echo problem... anyway

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read in the "Z2 Introduced" thread that the upgrade will be $200.00 and will be on 2 DVDs. I guess I can live with that. But I'm going to wait until some guinea pigs on this forum, upgrade theirs first to hear if its worth it.

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we all chip in and just ship the disks around? 200 Z1 owners = $1 per Z2 upgrade. Wow what a bargain!!!

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we all chip in and just ship the disks around? 200 Z1 owners = $1 per Z2 upgrade. Wow what a bargain!!!

That sounds like a good idea to me. Or...we can get a pretty reliable person like Ducatiboy and have him buy the update and we can pay him like 5-10 bucks for copies to cover the cost of the discs, time, and shipping. I think most people here would be willing to do it and in the end he'll make a bit of money for being the guinea pig and he'll get to keep the originals. Or...200 of us can pitch in a buck, have Ducatiboy buy it, and he can make torrents for us all to download. What do you think, Ducati?

I don't want to get into too much legal hot water on this. I'll have to see what the legal documents are with the update. If they just charge you to get a copy of the disks, I'm sure we can work something out. If they make it like "$200 for your update and you have to destroy the disks afterwards" or something, I might be a little hesitant to get pioneer pissed off at me.

They'll probably try the same thing they did to the majority of the people who were selling burned copies of the navi discs. I mean the update discs for the z are pretty much the same idea right.

I never heard of this.... what happened.... what did they try to do to people? Threaten them? Sue them? I was just curious.

They'll probably try the same thing they did to the majority of the people who were selling burned copies of the navi discs. I mean the update discs for the z are pretty much the same idea right.

I never heard of this.... what happened.... what did they try to do to people? Threaten them? Sue them? I was just curious.

Friend of mine was sent a cease and desist order I think it's called. Basically said if he didn't stop selling the copies they (pioneer) would take legal action against him.

Friend of mine was sent a cease and desist order I think it's called. Basically said if he didn't stop selling the copies they (pioneer) would take legal action against him.

That's what I would be worried about.

The cndv60 software is around by way of pirating (Hence lots of the torrent links were hosted on Thepiratesbay website! LOL)

It really is a sticky situation here. I think the license will probably state that the purchase of the dvd's allow one license per purchase.

Yah, before anything was "publically" traded on this forum, we would have to see how the license is worded.

Maybe even after the update the disks might explode in 60 seconds or some other Mission Impossible like thing....

Maybe even after the update the disks might explode in 60 seconds or some other Mission Impossible like thing....

LOL!

Hey why not? Disney used to sell DVDs for $5 that would expire in 48 hours, once the disc was removed from an airtight pouch. Too bad they buckled to environmentalists afraid of more waste in the dumps LOL Poor Mickey Mouse

so why worry about publicly trading here, the software would be available in the 'usual places' for that kinda thing wouldnt it?

Because of

1: If we get all "We are all going to pirate the update" even before it comes out and Pioneer thinks this is going to happen they can either make it much more expensive or adjust the way they are going to do it (that might make it harder for us) if they think this is a decent revenue stream for them.

And the much more important one...

2. I don't want to get Jason in trouble. If you go to the12volt.com or many other forums, they will not tolerate any talk about nav screen bypasses do to possible legal issues associated with watching video while driving. I know things eventually get shared in the "usual places" no matter if it's a nav update or the new version of windows or photoshop. These "usual places" tend to give some protection to the poster. If Pioneer sees lots of threads on how to pirate their new update (that they charge for), I wouldn't be surprised to see Jason get a letter warning him of legal action if he doesn't put a stop to that. I would like to make sure that doesn't happen.

Not that I'm going to stop any of this speculative talk at this time and I'm not chastising anyone for what was talked about so far. This update won't be ready for months. But I just want people to think about how posting something so specific on how and where to pirate something might effect Jason and his forum. That's the main reasons to "worry about it". When it comes out, I'm sure that some people will be able to install this update without paying for it. I'm sure Pioneer knows this will happen as well. If there becomes a link here to a copywrited file or a thread saying how to get around paying it could cause ramifications to Jason.... and I think as a thank you for letting us congregate here, we should try to make sure that doesn't happen.

That was my thought on it.