AVIC411.com

Backup camera activation

I have a 2010 FJ Cruiser. I tapped into the backup camera of the vehicle and plugged it into the camera connector on the stereo 130BT and I hooked up the wire. If I change the mode to av2 and put the truck in reverse, the camera shows up on the screen. When I try to turn the camera on through the menu, it will not turn on. I thought the camera wire hooked to my camera activation wire would do it. I have searched all over for a wire diagram of the head unit but can't find one. Any advice would be great. I would like to see the camera in split view when towing. Thanks.

I have a 2010 FJ Cruiser. I tapped into the backup camera of the vehicle and plugged it into the camera connector on the stereo 130BT and I hooked up the wire. If I change the mode to av2 and put the truck in reverse, the camera shows up on the screen. When I try to turn the camera on through the menu, it will not turn on. I thought the camera wire hooked to my camera activation wire would do it. I have searched all over for a wire diagram of the head unit but can't find one. Any advice would be great. I would like to see the camera in split view when towing. Thanks.

The head unit does not provide power to the camera. Your vehicle only turns it on when you are in reverse. In order to view the rear camera when not in reverse, you need to rewire the camera power to an ACC (switched) source. Then the camer will always have power when the key is switched ON.

The head unit does not provide power to the camera. Your vehicle only turns it on when you are in reverse. In order to view the rear camera when not in reverse, you need to rewire the camera power to an ACC (switched) source. Then the camer will always have power when the key is switched ON.

Thank you for the information. Do you know what the purpose of the wire for the camera. Not the video but there was a wire I had to run to my tap. Is it ground? I see the option in the menu for camera on and source as being 12v power or ground. This is why I was looking for a wire diagram. I thought with those options, there is a way to make the HU turn it on. Also, do you know if you buy the pioneer camera, do you have to wire it to a switch? I don't mind putting a switch in. I just want to understand how this works and explore all other options. Thanks again for any info you have on this. I really appreciate it.

Thank you for the information. Do you know what the purpose of the wire for the camera. Not the video but there was a wire I had to run to my tap. Is it ground? I see the option in the menu for camera on and source as being 12v power or ground. This is why I was looking for a wire diagram. I thought with those options, there is a way to make the HU turn it on. Also, do you know if you buy the pioneer camera, do you have to wire it to a switch? I don't mind putting a switch in. I just want to understand how this works and explore all other options. Thanks again for any info you have on this. I really appreciate it.

First a disclaimer. I don't have a BU camera. But I think I understand how it all works. I believe the wire you are referring to is the BU sensor wire. It's only purpose it to tell the HU when the car is in reverse. It doesn't power anything. And as you've stated, the HU needs to know if it is a +12v or ground connection. This sensor has two purposes for the HU:

1. To switch to the rear camera view on the HU screen (if configured) when in reverse.

2. To assist in "dead reckoning" so the NAV can estimate to a close precision your current position when it can't get a satellite fix (like in a tunnel, parking garage, etc.).

You don't need a manual power switch if you power the camera from a switched fuse (on w/ACC). No need to worry about power drain by having the camera on all the time while you are driving. The only bad thing is you'll have to run another wire to the camera from the fuse box.

First a disclaimer. I don't have a BU camera. But I think I understand how it all works. I believe the wire you are referring to is the BU sensor wire. It's only purpose it to tell the HU when the car is in reverse. It doesn't power anything. And as you've stated, the HU needs to know if it is a +12v or ground connection. This sensor has two purposes for the HU:

1. To switch to the rear camera view on the HU screen (if configured) when in reverse.

2. To assist in "dead reckoning" so the NAV can estimate to a close precision your current position when it can't get a satellite fix (like in a tunnel, parking garage, etc.).

You don't need a manual power switch if you power the camera from a switched fuse (on w/ACC). No need to worry about power drain by having the camera on all the time while you are driving. The only bad thing is you'll have to run another wire to the camera from the fuse box.

Thank you that clears alot up. I may have something hooked up wrong because when I am in reverse I have to go to AV2 to see the camera. I have the camera setting to "off" right now but have tried it "on" with the setting to ground and 12v and the only difference it made is that with the camera setting on, I get a message that says the image may be reversed when it boots up. If I turn the camera setting off, I don't get the message. So I was thinking that it could be on of three things.

1. I tapped the wrong wire so I am just getting video input but not turning the camera on.

2. The bypass effects the situation

3. I have to run a power wire straight back to the camera. (I don't want the image popping up in the mirror when driving down the road)

I may be thinking too much. I wonder if called Pioneer, they would give me a wire diagram. I looked in the manual and unless I missed it, I didn't see a wiring diagram in there. Thanks again for the help.

Thank you that clears alot up. I may have something hooked up wrong because when I am in reverse I have to go to AV2 to see the camera. I have the camera setting to "off" right now but have tried it "on" with the setting to ground and 12v and the only difference it made is that with the camera setting on, I get a message that says the image may be reversed when it boots up. If I turn the camera setting off, I don't get the message. So I was thinking that it could be on of three things.

1. I tapped the wrong wire so I am just getting video input but not turning the camera on.

2. The bypass effects the situation

3. I have to run a power wire straight back to the camera. (I don't want the image popping up in the mirror when driving down the road)

I may be thinking too much. I wonder if called Pioneer, they would give me a wire diagram. I looked in the manual and unless I missed it, I didn't see a wiring diagram in there. Thanks again for the help.

Other than the Z130 installation manual (which I only have for a Z120), you shouldn't need any wiring diagram for the HU. It sounds more like you need the wiring for your vehicle.

The bypass has nothing to do with this, and when talking to Pioneer, don't tell them you did it. On the Z120 connection harness, there is a brown RCA connector specifically for Rear Camera. The Z130 probably is the same. That RCA, and the Violet/White BU wire are the only wiring connections the HU needs. That wire should go to a circuit that is only activated/switched when the car is in reverse. I tapped into the backup lights circuit. Normally you'd run the wire to the rear along with the video cable. Since you used an existing wire harness, you need to get a diagram of how it is wired. You might need to modify that harness to power the camera even when you are not in reverse. That could cause problems with any other components that might use that circuit, so you need to be careful.

As far as configuring the AVIC, maybe someone else should jump in here. Like I said, I don't have any hands-on experience with that.

Good luck

Other than the Z130 installation manual (which I only have for a Z120), you shouldn't need any wiring diagram for the HU. It sounds more like you need the wiring for your vehicle.

The bypass has nothing to do with this, and when talking to Pioneer, don't tell them you did it. On the Z120 connection harness, there is a brown RCA connector specifically for Rear Camera. The Z130 probably is the same. That RCA, and the Violet/White BU wire are the only wiring connections the HU needs. That wire should go to a circuit that is only activated/switched when the car is in reverse. I tapped into the backup lights circuit. Normally you'd run the wire to the rear along with the video cable. Since you used an existing wire harness, you need to get a diagram of how it is wired. You might need to modify that harness to power the camera even when you are not in reverse. That could cause problems with any other components that might use that circuit, so you need to be careful.

As far as configuring the AVIC, maybe someone else should jump in here. Like I said, I don't have any hands-on experience with that.

Good luck

Thank you for the information you did give. I appreciate it. I have a good start on this and will update this post when I get it all figured out. I am getting ready to change the microphone out and hope that is the problem with no one hearing me. Thanks again.

The split screen view works but only until the camera times out. It doesn't stay on no matter which polarity setting I use.

There is an option to split the screen with the rear camera full-time. If you go into the viewing settings where your options are "2D Mode" and "3D Mode", and set it to "Rear", the video should not timeout. It's used for keeping an eye on towed trailers or something similar. Or you could just use it to see the cars behind you without turning around.

Hope this helps.

I have the Z110BT upgraded to 120BT, when I hooked up my 13$ Ebay cam I had 12v to the cam when key is on. Googled where my reverse wire is and connected the brown wire I THINK from the HU, I believe, shoot not sure. I do know when I put the truck in reverse the cam comes on full screen and goes off when in drive. I wanted to instal an extra switch so I can turn on the screen cam when driving, just for the fun of it, or if I am pulling a trailer.

I know it was pretty easy and that cheap BU cam has been through a winter and washed plenty and still works great. Hope this wasn't completely useless to you.

There is an option to split the screen with the rear camera full-time. If you go into the viewing settings where your options are "2D Mode" and "3D Mode", and set it to "Rear", the video should not timeout. It's used for keeping an eye on towed trailers or something similar. Or you could just use it to see the cars behind you without turning around.

Hope this helps.

That is what it's set to but it turns off after a minute or so of driving.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, maybe you guys can help.

My problem is a little different concerning the reverse camera. When I first start-up my car, my Z130BT already goes straight to the... Image May Be In Reverse screen. Once I put my car in actual reverse, the camera turns on and it works perfectly. BUT once I put the car into drive, it continues to stay on the...Image May Be Reverse screen - which is just a blacked out screen. Why does it do this? Shouldn't the unit go to the main menu after putting my car into drive?

So to get out of that ...Image May Be in Reverse screen after putting the car into drive, I have to push the mode button to have access to my Radio/Nav etc BUT once I do that... the Reverse camera will no longer turn on and work when I then put the car back in reverse! The only time it will come back is if I totally shut down my car and restart it and then the same problem happens.

So in effect.. My rear cam only works one time during start up. I tried changing the polarity in the settings menu with no luck and my installer is at a lost. Can anyone help or have any ideas of what I can do? I'd really appreciate it!

Hi, maybe you guys can help.

My problem is a little different concerning the reverse camera. When I first start-up my car, my Z130BT already goes straight to the... Image May Be In Reverse screen. Once I put my car in actual reverse, the camera turns on and it works perfectly. BUT once I put the car into drive, it continues to stay on the...Image May Be Reverse screen - which is just a blacked out screen. Why does it do this? Shouldn't the unit go to the main menu after putting my car into drive?

So to get out of that ...Image May Be in Reverse screen after putting the car into drive, I have to push the mode button to have access to my Radio/Nav etc BUT once I do that... the Reverse camera will no longer turn on and work when I then put the car back in reverse! The only time it will come back is if I totally shut down my car and restart it and then the same problem happens.

So in effect.. My rear cam only works one time during start up. I tried changing the polarity in the settings menu with no luck and my installer is at a lost. Can anyone help or have any ideas of what I can do? I'd really appreciate it!

You have several problems, but here is the first one to fix.

1. The power for the camera is connected to the backup lights, but should be connected to ignition power. Camera should have power anytime the vehicle key is on.