AVIC411.com

Hey guys,
I am using the Z1 and the Ipod adapter CD-IB100. I have A LOT of artists on my ipod. When I go to search, artist and want to find say Nine Inch Nails I have to scroll down quite a bit.

It takes FOREVER! For some reason when I hit page down, it takes like 3 seconds to come up. Going down 20 pages, that accumulates into a rather long duration.

Does anyone else have this problem? I used an ipod with 1/16 of the amount of songs i had and it did the same thing. If i upgrade to the CD-IB100ii will that resolve my issues?

Please advise,

Nick
  • 1 month later...
Note: I also posted this in the general AVIC-Z1 forum.

If enough people complain to Pioneer about the FRUSTRATING Ipod music search function, maybe, just maybe they will fix it. I have emailed the company the message below and have been posting on every Pioneer Avic-Z1 forum I can find. Please send a similar email to Pioneer!!! The masses that spent $3000 on this toy will be heard!!!

customer.support@pioneerservice.com

-----
To the AVIC-Z1 software developers:

I have the AVIC-Z1 installed in my car and I have to say it is amazing! The navigation feature is perfect and music sounds great! However, since I am quite a perfectionist, I do have one complaint that I really hope you can address.

I have the IPOD adapter (CD-IB100 II) installed and it works the way it was designed. I have to let you know that there is a defect in the software that makes navigating my Ipod through the Avic touchscreen nearly impossible. I have a 60GB ipod with over 1000 artists and 8000 songs. When I want to search by artist or song it takes literally 15 minutes to get to the end of my artist list and 45 minutes (!) to get to the end of my songs list!!! This is unacceptable! With my Ipod clickwheel I can get to the end of either list in SECONDS. Scrolling 5 artists or 5 songs at a time on the AVIC touchscreen is not only frustrating, it is DANGEROUS while driving. There needs to be an update to the software that accelerates the search function.

I have several suggestions that would fix this defect:
1) Be able to search any list (artist, song, album, playlist) by alphabetic letter: A, B, C...W, X, Y, Z.
2) Be able to drag the scroll bar down with your finger as far down the bar as you want (like you can in any computer program with the mouse).
3) If you hold the down arrow button, the list could scroll faster
4) Make one of the non-touchscreen real buttons jump down 50 items in the list at a time
5) Make a circular button that mimics the Ipod clickwheel - if Apple can create software that recognizes circular, varying speed touch, then I'm sure Pioneer can too! This would be the ultimate solution that would make every Ipod owner happy.

Maybe using more of the hard drive’s memory would help?

I implore you to do something about this and I would love to help with the process or with be your “super-user” test subject if you like. I work for a software company and am familiar with the software dev-QA cycle.

The main reason I bought the AVIC-Z1 was to use my Ipod with it. I have a bunch of friends that have seen the AVIC-Z1 in action and they love it, but we all are disappointed with the Ipod control. I could convince at least 10 people to buy this system if you fixed that one functional defect. So please, please, please tell me that you will fix it and that there is someway to update the software on my unit!

Thank you for listening to my gripe! I really do love most everything else about your product. Keep up the good work!
Here's what I emailed them:

I have the AVIC-Z1 with the CB-IB100II installed. It takes forever to scroll down my list of artist and songs. This makes it almost useless to me and dangerous; I've weaved off the road a couple of times trying to scroll through things (there's a lawsuit just waiting to happen there guys!).

Would it be possible to make the scroll bar touch sensitive so we can just drag it down? That seems like a simple fix to me. Allow an alphabet jump to artist or some such!

Is the source code open source? If so, I'd like to take a shot and doing some programming on it.
[quote name="metech"]I have the AVIC-Z1 with the CB-IB100II installed. It takes forever to scroll down my list of artist and songs. This makes it almost useless to me and dangerous; I've weaved off the road a couple of times trying to scroll through things (there's a lawsuit just waiting to happen there guys!).[/quote]

Great now that will be locked out while in motion. :D
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="metech"]I have the AVIC-Z1 with the CB-IB100II installed. It takes forever to scroll down my list of artist and songs. This makes it almost useless to me and dangerous; I've weaved off the road a couple of times trying to scroll through things (there's a lawsuit just waiting to happen there guys!).[/quote]

Great now that will be locked out while in motion. :D[/quote]

Can't wait to see your new ciruit workaround for that! You can get another Ducati with the proceeds!!! :twisted:
It may be moot, but don't forget that you can go from A to Z by pressing the up button at the top of the list. It won't help getting to the middle of lists, but it helps getting to the end.

Pioneer is working on a new iPod interface, and it will be released sometime in the next 6 months, the big questions is whether or not our existing source units will support it.
[quote name="skicrave"]IPioneer is working on a new iPod interface, and it will be released sometime in the next 6 months, the big questions is whether or not our existing source units will support it.[/quote]

How do you know this? That sounds promising! How do you know this? I'll bet they can increase the spead with just a new unit. As long as the IP Bus they use isn't the slower of the two.
I sent the email to Pioneer Customer support like bartski333 said. This is the answer I got back from them:

[quote]"Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll pass that along to the engineering group for evaluation. Make sure you register the product on Pioneer's web site, this will allow you to receive future updates on your products.

Thank You,

Pablo
Customer Service Representative"[/quote]