AVIC411.com

Do you think this could work?

Just did a quick photoshop to see how this would look, but my jeep has a din and half dash and the z1 needs a double din. i think i would have to hack up the front of the dash a lil bit to make it work.

Original

IMG_0178.jpg

Top view to show the room behind headunit

top.jpg

Photoshop

jeepwithavicz1.jpg

if any one else can make a more realistic photoshop do it and post it.

You're fortunate that the vents are directly below the stock radio and not the climate controls.

This could definitely be done if you eliminate the 2 lower vents, cut out the ductwork and block that off. But you must block off the ductwork or you risk condensation (from the moist air of the A/C) entering the Z1 openings.

You'll of course, also need to make a custom face plate.

If you have rear vents for the passengers, you won't need these two vents anyway. If you wanted to keep the vents, you would need to fabricate a casing for the Z1 which would protrude above the dash and probably look like shit.

But it can be done.

Cheers,

Kevin

You're fortunate that the vents are directly below the stock radio and not the climate controls.
I was thinking the opposite; I was thinking that it’s a pity that the vents are below the radio and not the A/C. He has auto climate controls so it’s a set its set it and forget it. They are pretty easy to relocate; glove box, center console, a friend of mine moved his to his sunglass tray up top near the sunroof.

It will take some work, but I would suggest that if you can’t make it look good then just go with a N3.

madmanfrommars, i have thought about it but the rb1 is in my opinion it is lacking in functionability compared to the z1. It would install nice but the screen is sooo small, have to see, are they coming out with a avic-n4 or something, that would install better than the z1 probably.

The only bad part is that there is no vents for the back thats what it relies on to get air to the rear passengers.

tjdehya,

If it was push button climate control and molded into one panel, then yes, that would make thinks easier, but this cc has dials and most likely has vacuum tubes which would be somewhat tedius to relocate. And personallly, I would not want my climate controls relocated. I would much rather do away with the two vents.

Just my opinion though.

YEah def an eclipse. By the way if you should decide to do this I hope yours comes out ALOT better then that one. Looks bad real bad...

See I actually think it looks like he did a pretty decent job on everything else, he just did a crappy job of matching the custom faceplate to the wood grain interior.

If you can do what he did and just make a faceplate that matches the interior woodgrain, it should look pretty good.

99Lim,

In your last picture, you must have had more clearance between the top of your dash and your vents than the jeep in the first picture. Because, by looking at your first picture, there is NO WAY that the Z1 will fit without relocating those vents.

Is the Eclipse screen smaller than that of the Z1?

My stereo opening is double din and I still had to do some cutting to get my Z1 to fit. The Z1 is a FULL double din. Not even a little bit under.

If you think you can do it without moving or eliminating the vents, I say go for it. And I want to see pictures when it's done. And then I'll eat crow.

Good luck to you.

Kevin

yeah that eclipse thing looks pretty bad, a panel that isnt even close to resembling other pieces in the dash, the unit is even mounted all screwy and not as flush as I would like.

Please really take some time if you attempt this, dont just settle for anything less then perfect.. maybe even get some dash pieces that have the similar design of wood grain to use.

If you copy what he did and integrate the vent bezel into the radio bezel, you can cut the radio hole lower without it looking weird.

Looks feasible.

I think the only thing wrong with that guy's install is the HU looks like it's pushed out too far, it needs to be inset a little more. The white color also looks like crap, it needs to be woodgrain to match the other woodgrain on the dash, or flat black to match the climate control below it.

i tried matching it up with some of his woodgrain... OSUV i believe that guys has a 2001 or newer Jeep grand cherokee, so maybe the dash size changed a little bit. Mines a 99 so there could be a change but i doubt it. Maybe i should consider the d3 because of the price and it does the same thing basically and smaller right? Just a thought i guess

The guys jeep with woodgrain

doubledinnaviwoodtrimeclipse.jpg

That guys jeep with a z1 and woodgrain

doubledinnaviwoodtrim.jpg

Or another option that madmanfrommars suggested jeepwithrb.jpg