AVIC411.com

Z1 to Z2 conversion at dealerships only?

Hey,

I was speaking with a Pioneer Nav Tech today and got the info that the update would be close to $250 (most likely) and that it would be done at dealerships (takes 3-hours or so). Of course it is software update only.

Anybody heard otherwise or the same?

If this is actually true that updates will only happen at dealerships, I think they are doing it to minimize piracy (unconfirmed Z2s :-)). But wouldn't dealerships charge additional 'installation' charge on top of the $200ish whatever the update DVD costs?

I asked whether those who are buying Z1 from dealerships could get the update for free - he said that is up to the dealership.

~Phal

Z1, Bluetooth, IPod, XM/NAV, Steering Remote, DVD rear-seat remote

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard that rumor too but there is no real way to confirm yet. What I heard is that the dealer has to go onto a website and enter the serial number from the Z2 software package and it spits out a code that has to be entered into the Z1 when installing that exact software. Makes sense since so many people were pirating. As for charging for it, I am sure the retail price includes a markup from what the dealer pays so hopefully they don't charge to "install" it, and by install I mean put in two DVDs and type in a code

well going by your rumor, why couldnt you use THAT serial everytime you install, surely they arent putting a limit on the # of times it can be installed, do you think its actually possible they could even do that since theres really not a two way communication ? I mean whats to tell the z1 that the software package belongs to another z1?

oh boy. yeah um ok. You saying that the unit communicates back to the sat?

You never know.... :lol: You are right, no way. But what if you needed some online "z1 serial" conversion to a new SN unlock code for each install or something. No communication needed from the Z1 and you would need to "register" each install with pioneer unless someone cracked the Z1 SN to unlock code or whatever they used.

maybe i am giving more info then i should but a better way for pioneer to do this (they probably already know) is to generate a serial of the unit based sofware, so that software itself has to be activated and ONLY works by reading the serial off the avic unit and putting in the serial from online, that is generated solely for that unit alone. LIke a check between the serial of the unit and the serial code given. But then again this would encourage many people to fast track the software development for pioneers avic units. and with there being probably far more smart'er people out there willing to try, I dont know if thats something pioneer wants to take on right now.

In line with what ducatiboy guessed, we use that every-day to let users upgrade their telecom (and other) units to new code or new feature.

This is generally how it works:

Each hardware unit has its own serial number. When that serial number is entered on to Pioneer's support website, it then generates a upgrade-key that uses the Z1's serial# as an input key (along with some other known-to-both-parties-key based on some MD5/AES256 (whatever encryption standard they want to use) encryption.

That upgrade key can only be recognized by the Z1 that has that serial# (decoding the key using the same decryption mechanism and known-to-both-parties-key and validating the serial# built into that key with its own).

This upgrade mechanism vastly reduces piracy issues...

If this is what Pioneer truly is deploying, they built this mechanism(s/w upgrading feature) into the Z1s from the beginning (or added that as part of the bluetooth upgrade patch :-), you never know).

Two things now available for those who want to upgrade to Z2:

1. Find a hack (not saying I support it, I am mentioning options)

2. Pay

There could be two upgrade prices. If purchased Z1 previously from pioneer dealership,then pay one price, and may be higher if previously purchased from 'gray' market (or whatever). I am not sure how they are going to prove that this is a gray market purchase - you can always say it was a christmas gift.

Anyways, the whole thing now looks bad because not only we are not sure how good the upgrade is (z1 to z2), it could be a painful process getting the upgrade.

I personally believe Pioneer should make this a 'free' upgrade for Z1 customers - first because these all paid close to $2K or more for this piece of euipment, are brand ambassadors for future AVIC customers (this is a very important thing), and having a word that pioneer 'takes care' of their customers is a great way to attract new customers. After all, this is just a software update.

Common Pioneer - we are your premium product owners - we need special treatment!!!

cheers

Phal

No I don't think thats going to happen. just like installing any OS it will ask for a key to enter.

All Pioneer needs to do is sell the Z2 update 'software' which will come with a key to enter.

what is the difference doing it like this over taking it to a shop. Most shops all full of BS so thats not going to sell for Pioneer at least not for me.

Don't care for others to know what I have or don't have

Ok I talked to my Pioneer Installer who sends their people to class for this crap... and he said Pioneer will release an upgrade and you can order it from Pioneer or get it at your local dealer.... they said it will cost $250 and it will upgrade like any other upgrade. They said it will bring the AVIC Z1 to the same standard as the Z2.... He went to a Pioneer convention and he has not lead me wrong yet... I was his first Z1 install... So I hope that answers all the questions...