AVIC411.com

Z1 to Z2 conversion at dealerships only?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so from what I gather, the software that installs on the Z1 uses the serial number that is embedded in the Z1 to create an unlock serial code, correct?

From this, the serial number for that unit and the serial number for the disc are entered online, and the online service generates the identical code, so that the Z1 can be unlocked to Z2 status.

So wheres the solution in this? Once someone pays for the upgrade, copy those discs, note the unlock code acquired from Pioneers website and then hack your HD with the serial number of the Z1 that the code was generated for. Install discs, enter generated unlock code and VOILA.

Easy as cake. :shock:

thats why I still think Pioneer will just sell it to the market. Even with the map upgrade. all you do is buy the DVD.

Ok, so from what I gather, the software that installs on the Z1 uses the serial number that is embedded in the Z1 to create an unlock serial code, correct?

From this, the serial number for that unit and the serial number for the disc are entered online, and the online service generates the identical code, so that the Z1 can be unlocked to Z2 status.

So wheres the solution in this? Once someone pays for the upgrade, copy those discs, note the unlock code acquired from Pioneers website and then hack your HD with the serial number of the Z1 that the code was generated for. Install discs, enter generated unlock code and VOILA.

So I leave for a few weeks to figure out a LED taillight retro (which I just about have done by the way) and you guys are telling me there is a Z2 now and it's just a software update?

Wow....and a gracenote update since the one in October of November I see.

So do we know what the software update is? Is it an interface change or just a map update?

I'll wait until those of us with the Z1 and ducati original bypass flashing unit do the install. Then if everything still works for them, I'll do the upgrade if it's worth it.

Keep fighting the good fight fellas!

Duke

Your assuming people know how to hack their HD and would risk doing so to save $200. I would bet that is a very, very small percentage of Z1 owners

Well heres the other thing, I'm no computer guy, but aren't there like 28-30 common algorithms for generating serial codes like that?

Anyway, if you have two known serial numbers and have generated a 3rd, discrete serial number from those known values, although it would be time consuming at first, I would think you could find the correct algorithm for generating the unique serial number to unlock the new upgrade. Once you have that, its just a matter of having the upgrade disc.

We were discussing this where I work the other day in regards to hacking a software license for a RF Propagation tool we are trialing for our cellular network. Worked on the same general principle of submitting two sets of known data, and being sent then a unique "key" or serial code for the demo software we are testing.

Heck, we don't even know for sure if this is the route they are going, but I would doubt for one, they would develop a unique algorithm just for a Z1 upgrade. This isn't like we are trying to break into Fort Knox.

Chris.

nice info Cris... thats a good point.... I remain optimistic about us finding a way to convert to a Z2 for free... It might take a while, and someone might need to bite the bullet to buy one so the data is available to us all, but once it's out there it's out there...

I'll pay the 250.00 if I get to do the update on my own and keep the Disc.

Again I really think this is how it will play out. Sure there are some out there that will wait thinking they will get a free copy sooner or later.

Bottom line is if the new Z2 is better worth the 250.00. I'm not the only one that will pay for it.

Guess we will find out in the coming month or 2