AVIC411.com

Pulling my Z110BT to do upgrades, what should I add?

I will be pulling my z110bt unit (never done that before) and updating the tuners and IR control, is there anything else I could/should put in while I have the unit out?

Here is a little info one my system:

2002 Ford Ranger with a canopy and no view out the back.

• Pioneer AVIC z110bt
  • Backup camera at bumper level (not sure of the current brand) seems to be decent night vision, though I have nothing to compare too since I've never had another unit.
  • Does anyone have experience/opinion of the pioneer "easy" parking system? thinking about changing to that if it works well
  • MSN Direct tuner is coming out, and ND-TMC10 is going in
  • I am replacing the GEX-P20HD HD radio receiver, the old unit seems to have stopped working. Perhaps it is just a connection issue too and I can save the $100 :wink:
  • I have a GEX-P920XM radio receiver coming (mistake in the ordering process for the HD receiver) Do any of you have experience with the XM or Sirius receivers? If I decide to keep/install it which way is the better way to go? Not sure I need to pay anouther $200 a year to listen to radio
  • PAC WRI-P and a Pioneer CD-SR11 steering wheel remote will be installed.

What other goodies gadgets or updates should I do while I have the unit out?

Thanks

lol, I have thought about that!!

I would like to put a second camera on the back and have it hooked into a rear view mirror video screen to simulate having an actual rear view mirror. It's annoying that I cannot get a view out back with the z110bt without putting it in reverse.

lol, I have thought about that!!

I would like to put a second camera on the back and have it hooked into a rear view mirror video screen to simulate having an actual rear view mirror. It's annoying that I cannot get a view out back with the z110bt without putting it in reverse.

In the Z130 there's an option in Home / Settings / Maps / Display where you can turn on the rear camera. Is that not available on the older version?

_Am

Here's an idea . . . . .

I recently custom-fitted an over-the-air DTV converter box along with an amplified antenna. Its all STEALTH too, meaning you wont know its in there until I pull out the remote and start changing channels like I'm on the couch.

DTV is great, but it doesnt work when the car is in motion (US technology limitation). The picture is crystal clear when stationary. I now have a PERFECT excuse to wait in the car when the misses drags me along to go shopping.

I'm putting together some photos/videos of my install to post on this forum.

In the Z130 there's an option in Home / Settings / Maps / Display where you can turn on the rear camera. Is that not available on the older version?

_Am

It is available on the Z110 - I've used it on mine. You are correct, it's one of the map display options with 2D, 3D, etc. The rear view is 2/3 of the screen and the map is the other 1/3.

I just tried looking to turn on the rear view camera while in motion and it doesn't let you on the z110. the map settings is greyed out.

My project has been a little bit on hold. All my components have arrived but I've been out of town for work alot and we had a snow storm/power outage this last week.. Heading to San Jose today through the weekend. Perhaps next weekend wiil be my time!

Here's an idea . . . . .

I recently custom-fitted an over-the-air DTV converter box along with an amplified antenna. Its all STEALTH too, meaning you wont know its in there until I pull out the remote and start changing channels like I'm on the couch.

DTV is great, but it doesnt work when the car is in motion (US technology limitation). The picture is crystal clear when stationary. I now have a PERFECT excuse to wait in the car when the misses drags me along to go shopping.

I'm putting together some photos/videos of my install to post on this forum.

I love this idea, cannot wait to see your stuff

I just tried looking to turn on the rear view camera while in motion and it doesn't let you on the z110. the map settings is greyed out.

how is your camera powered? most installers connect it to the reverse lights, and in doing so it will only power on when that line is powered, or when you are in reverse. if you wire it to a switched power supply (ignition on) you can view the camera anytime you like. this is all assuming you have swapped the pin over for the bypass.

I was able to get the camera going. when stopped the map settings becomes availible and I could get the camera to show on the screen as the other members described.

I have 2 problems with this as a solution to my wanting to see whats happening behind my truck (no rear view window)

1.) the camera is mounted below the bumper, just above the hitch. I love this for backing up to hatch up a trailer, but with it on while driving, it's so close to the ground you mostly just se pavement screaming along at incredible percieved speed. I think I will still mount a second camera on the top of my canopy to have a better perspective.

2.) the camera is not great at night with a car behing you. all you see is a huge flair from headlights and cannot make anything out. Does anyone know of a better camera for night vision that does not succumb to being washed out by lights?

Thanks