AVIC411.com

so im assuming i just need to get a module and install it in the app radio?

Unfortunately, that's what it looks like... I was really excited at first, I thought someone had cracked Pioneer's API.

I'm really surprised no one has figured it out by now. The AppRadio compatible apps already have the code in them, but it's under NDA. Idealy, one would just need to write a jailbroken app that runs in the background and listens for the touch screen commands from the AppRadio directly. That way we get to keep bluetooth calling and no mods to the AppRadio would be required.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, that's what it looks like... I was really excited at first, I thought someone had cracked Pioneer's API.

I'm really surprised no one has figured it out by now. The AppRadio compatible apps already have the code in them, but it's under NDA. Idealy, one would just need to write a jailbroken app that runs in the background and listens for the touch screen commands from the AppRadio directly. That way we get to keep bluetooth calling and no mods to the AppRadio would be required.

thats best way, but unavailable now...

It's a bit more complicated than that. Even with access to the SDK, a lot of work would need to be done to splice it into existing applications. The API is already a bit intrusive and sandboxing in iOS makes it difficult to transmit data between applications.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Even with access to the SDK, a lot of work would need to be done to splice it into existing applications. The API is already a bit intrusive and sandboxing in iOS makes it difficult to transmit data between applications.

So are the plans right now essentially to install a mimics module with some kind of switching software that will switch Bluetooth during incoming calls?

In any event, I would gladly forego any pioneer software as there are many beautiful media players, and navigation options that currently exist. I don't use the am/fm tuner function at all (in fact, I didn't even install the antenna lol), so even if this is a mimics module, I think that will have a large target audience. The *only* thing that might suck is losing steering wheel control. But that was really only good for song navigation, and if one were to use swipe controls (plenty of JB hacks that can accomplish this) then its nearly a moot point.

Anyone ideas on price point of this product for those in the know?

On a non-jail broken device, yes, apps are sandboxed, we're not talking about that.

It would need to be jailbroken, thus allowing an app running in the background to listen for the appradio and then create system wide touch events. Other apps wouldn't need any modification, they wouldn't know the difference.

The mimics app does this already via Bluetooth, it really isn't a stretch to have it done via the cable.

On a non-jail broken device, yes, apps are sandboxed, we're not talking about that.

It would need to be jailbroken, thus allowing an app running in the background to listen for the appradio and then create system wide touch events. Other apps wouldn't need any modification, they wouldn't know the difference.

The mimics app does this already via Bluetooth, it really isn't a stretch to have it done via the cable.

Interesting. I've never been able to get "system wide touch events" working. Tried for a while. If I could get that part working, I could write the entire hack right now by hijacking the AppRadio app.

Capturing the events from the AppRadio is the easy part. Once you capture the touch events, how do you pass them to the current application?

Interesting. I've never been able to get "system wide touch events" working. Tried for a while. If I could get that part working, I could write the entire hack right now by hijacking the AppRadio app.

Capturing the events from the AppRadio is the easy part. Once you capture the touch events, how do you pass them to the current application?

The mimics guys have figured it out, they capture the touch events via Bluetooth and make them system wide. Get in touch with them.

The mimics guys have figured it out, they capture the touch events via Bluetooth and make them system wide. Get in touch with them.

Will do, thanks. Though I don't see them providing too much insight since I'm basically writing a direct competitor to their product. 8)

ok so have been giving this a lot of thought and figured id post up on how to do this.

first you need to jailbreak you phone. Then buy the tv out or display out app from cydia,the mimics module drivers, sb rotator and landscapelock.

you need to then purchase the mimics module from mp3car.com or customgadz

if you want to keep the radio functions you will need the oem switcher module they are fairly cheap and can be found on both sites.( not required if you just wanna use the the unit as a screen and touch panel)

once the module arrives you need to open up the unit and locate the touch ribbon and remove it, insert the ribbon into the module and find a way to secure it to the inside of the panel, then take the barrel connector and cut it off and strip the wires and solder the positive and negative to the radio harness positive and negative wires.

ok so have been giving this a lot of thought and figured id post up on how to do this.

first you need to jailbreak you phone. Then buy the tv out or display out app from cydia,the mimics module drivers, sb rotator and landscapelock.

you need to then purchase the mimics module from mp3car.com or customgadz

if you want to keep the radio functions you will need the oem switcher module they are fairly cheap and can be found on both sites.( not required if you just wanna use the the unit as a screen and touch panel)

once the module arrives you need to open up the unit and locate the touch ribbon and remove it, insert the ribbon into the module and find a way to secure it to the inside of the panel, then take the barrel connector and cut it off and strip the wires and solder the positive and negative to the radio harness positive and negative wires.

Not really worth destroying your app radio then if it is in warranty, since this is then a hardware solution it is basically useless and destroys a good unit, it is fine with just a touch screen unit but not the app radio, hence fail

Not really worth destroying your app radio then if it is in warranty, since this is then a hardware solution it is basically useless and destroys a good unit, it is fine with just a touch screen unit but not the app radio, hence fail

And there may be a software only solution on the way, depending on how much I figure out over the weekend.