AVIC411.com

Antennas: GPS & XM!?!?

Does anyone know if it is ok to mount the GPS and the XM antenna on that same little metal plate or are you only supposed to mount the GPS there so if doesn't affect the reception of the NAV?

Also, Whats the consensus on mounting right below the PLASTIC paneling on the dash? Does it affect reception?

Thanks!

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:47 am Post subject:

What about mounting the two antennas next to each other?

Thanks!

David

you can mount together and under a plastic panel. should work fine. there are other threads on this as well

yes you can put them together next to each other

yes, and that wormhole is somehwat unknown at this point but Steven Hawking has wrote a few books on what "could" happen if you were to go into one. You might get pushed into a singularity which could be the start of our next universe. You would be the size of an atom and have infinite density!! people would be like, "Damn, you're tiny man, how much do you weigh?" and you'd respond," I weigh as much as the whole universe dude, fuck off! I'll kill you!" But, if you were to be in that wormhole and the phasing of the wave were to reverse, you might get sent back 180 degrees and come back to rturn to your car where you started. BUT, i could be set back 1000 years in the past, which would make you the ONLY car owner in the world!!! So, I'd say do it, it's worth a shot

hahahahahaa

Does anyone know if it is ok to mount the GPS and the XM antenna on that same little metal plate or are you only supposed to mount the GPS there so if doesn't affect the reception of the NAV?

Also, Whats the consensus on mounting right below the PLASTIC paneling on the dash? Does it affect reception?

Thanks!

David

I would suggest that you just be sure that the XM antenna has a clear view to the sky. The satellite signal is relatively weak. I have Sirius, and if I pass under a bridge, I can lose the signal. My GPS antenna is mounted under the said plastic paneling with no apparent problems.

XM has two satellites, one positioned around AL/GA border, the other around NM/AZ border and are stationary. Sirius has three satellites that are not stationary, and this allows for two satellites to be over the USA at all times. So, if you block the direct line of sight between either of these antennas (depending on system) and the satellites with metal, such as a metal roof, you will lose the signal.

If you mount the satellite antenna under the plastic dash, it may lose line of sight due to the angle to the satellite having to pass through a metal roof. If you have a convertible or live in the south, you are less likely to lose a signal.

GPS has 26 satellites, that travel north to south, so at all times, in almost any direction you will have at least 4 satellites. Therefore, mounting the GPS under the dash is no problem.

I just ordered a 2007 Seqouia WITHOUT a Nav because I had my eye on the AVIC-Z1.

I've learned from this TERRIFIC forum how to enable the Nav while the vehicle is moving (sort of - at least I know there is a solution).

(sorry for the thousand questions below, but this will make the difference between a Kenwood, Stock or this unit...Tx)

I had been concerned about having to mount both antennas magnetically on the roof ( it looks like a retrofit and has the wires hanging out...etc.).

1. Reading the below posts, my understanding is both these antennas can be mounted UNDER the dash and still work? IS that true?

2.Has anyone had experience with this unit in the Seqouia?

3. WIll a "certified Pioneer" installer know how and where to mount the antennas and where to mount, under the dash?

4. Any ideas on how I can make sure this unit is MFGed after 8/2006 to minimize the amount of E-brake bypass steps and/or circuit (if I understand SMinnTech post accurately).

Again, folks, thanks for the help. I really want this unit but can't tolerate the e-brake bypass.

XM has two satellites...

Correction, Four satellites operating right now. Two will soon be kept as in orbit spares. (They are in geostationary orbit)

Sirius has three satellites that are not stationary,

Sirius will also have four satellites later this year. (They are in geosynchronous orbit).

Sirius always seems to be one step behind.
Not their fault, they just happened to start up a lil later than XM and have to play catch up. (If anyone noticed, I havent been so harsh on Sirius lately. Just trying to be nice ;) ).

It would be nice if Sirius did come out with a newer chipset that didnt burn up so much power on their portables.