AVIC411.com

Pioneer CD-UB100 USB adapter

I was just looking at the new 2007 Pioneer product line and came across this thing. It allows you to connect USB drives or MP3 players like the Ipod to any newer IP Bus head unit, and it says it supports Ipod direct control like the new Pioneer head units.

I'm just wondering if the Ipod interface would be faster using this adapter. I've always been curious if the slowness was caused by the IP bus or just poor software. Has anyone tried one of these yet?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 21,00.html

In a way, it's still cheaper to use an iPod. $120 vs. $50. That $70 is a long way to the price of an iPod. Apple sells refurb 20GB iPods for $99.

Although since it's USB... if its indexing/internal database is any good, then you should be able to plug in a cheap $30 40GB USB-powered external laptop drive to it. How well that works will depend on its indexing ability though.

I would actually prefer that over an iPod because I prefer just copying my music folder over. I use XPlay2 instead of iTunes because it makes my iPod act more like a generic MP3 player where it syncs automatically to my music directory without any kind of "front end" software.

OK, answered my own question. It is the actual cable. So you have to buy the adapter and the cable separately.

It says it offers "direct control". I wonder what that entails?

Here is a link to their "uBUS"

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/cat/article/0,,2076_310069607_405683232,00.html

EDIT: Looks like it does work with the Z1:

Using as an external unit

The following head units operate this unit as

an external unit. For more details about the external

unit, refer to the head unit’s manual.

! 1KEY to 6KEY doesn’t be used to operate

this unit.

Head unit group 4

The following head units are navigation units

featuring touch panel key operation.

AVIC-D2, AVIC-N2, AVIC-N3, AVIC-Z1

Link to the manual too:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/386020169CDUB100OwnersManual1129.pdf

So does anybody with a Z1 want to pony up the 100 bucks and try one of these things? LOL They're available on Ebay now. I'd try one myself, but I don't know where I'd put it until I get a new car.

I'm really curious how the Ipod interface looks. Since the Ipod doesn't support control over USB, I don't see how it could use the same Ipod interface the standard Ipod adapter uses.

Bummer... Well, no sense spending the money on this then. I guess it is OK for those that don't have or want an actual "iPod" then they too can connect to the Z1.

Did you notice that it won't even display directories that don't have music in them? So, don't even think about connecting that USB thumb drive to try and run some kind of app... It only lists supported music files, which, by the way, does not include Apple lossless files.