AVIC411.com

No Car Play Plans For Waze :(

PMd them on the Facebook page the other day about this and they responed that there were no plans at this time. Kinda disappointing. Waze is the only app I will miss once I go CP. Just putting this out there FYI.

I do not think Waze will say something about this now. I am an map editor in Waze and a beta editor of their iPhone app and they are doing finishing touches on version 3.8.

The "there were no plans at this time." answer may be because their priority is not that one. They are finishing a new version and like other companies, waiting for WWDC and see what Apple is going to tell developers about iOS 8 on June 2nd and see if carplay will be open for more companies other than the music apps they already have.

Yeah I certainly don't think the answer they have me is permanent as long as Apple doesn't stand in the way. I just suspect we won't see it this year if we ever do. Also, with CP's heavy reliance on Siri, it makes it kinda hard to integrate third party apps until Apple starts opening up Siri for third party apps.

The problem Waze faces is that there just isn't any API for them to use in iOS 7. The only API CarPlay has right now in their dev documentation is how to provide CarPlay with music items in a structured way, and a means to let CarPlay tell you to start playing an item. Nothing to display any sort of UI yourself. Hacks could change this, as I'd wager Maps is using a private API to do its work, but it may take some time to get it working reliably.

Even if Waze wanted to jump in here, they can't until Apple widens the APIs around CarPlay that third parties can use. And that's ignoring the fact that you need special permission from Apple to use the CarPlay APIs in the first place. Waze's response is the diplomatic one when they just don't know if/when they might be able to deliver a feature.

• 6 months later...

I'd keep an eye on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Auto

http://www.android.com/auto/

Waze was aquired by Google in 2013:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/google-maps-and-waze-outsmarting.html

I haven't tried, but does Waze work through the NEX platform via iPhone (not via CarPlay)?

Don

If audio and Apple maps is all you want, CarPlay is adequate. But I want total control of my iPhone's apps(all of them), and use of all the inputs on my NEX, without changing cords, changing smartphone setup, every time i want to use an app made for our head units.  This whole NEX-CarPlay-AppRadio experience has been a continuing disappointment for me. It could be years before we see what a lot of us have envisioned since the arrival of the NEX head units and the hype that both companies have been dishing out. They should have put a disclaimer on every feature that reads,"may or may not work as advertised" i.e. AppRadio, Datalink, CarPlay, MirrorLink. 

By the way, this is just a RANT, that is all.

My problems with Carplay are mostly Apple's fault.

(1) There are no CarPlay "apps" to support in-built radio functions. So you want to listen to XM? Go back out of Carplay to do so. Same with rear video entertainment, etc.

(2) They seem to pick and choose who gets to make a Carplay app. So Overcast got to make a podcast app, but no other maps app?

Anyway, maybe someone will jailbreak Carplay to create new Carplay apps. But, like I said before, it will take some time before there is enough critical mass to do it.

(1) There are no CarPlay "apps" to support in-built radio functions. So you want to listen to XM? Go back out of Carplay to do so. Same with rear video entertainment, etc.

(2) They seem to pick and choose who gets to make a Carplay app. So Overcast got to make a podcast app, but no other maps app?

Anyway, maybe someone will jailbreak Carplay to create new Carplay apps. But, like I said before, it will take some time before there is enough critical mass to do it.

I find going from CarPlay to Sirus/XM very easy. Mode, Sirus. That's it. Not much different than changing from any other function to Sirus. But, try that with AppRadio and it is much more of a pain. My experience with CarPlay is that it is fairly seamless using CarPlay and the Pioneer side.

Don't expect a ton of CarPlay apps until some of the new cars start rolling out. We may have it in aftermarket now, but that's a small group of users. Until 2015/2016 models roll out, app developers won't spend the time on it. How many CarPlay radios do you think are out in the wild right now?

(1) Since CarPlay is an in-dash interface of a specific set your phone's apps - this would only be possible or make sense if the iPhone had its own XM tuner or AM/FM tuner. That's why there is an NEX icon on Car - to take you back to everything that isn't affiliated with CarPlay. 

(2) It looks like all CarPlay apps are for playing audio from various services. I don't think that Apple's application programming interface (API) includes any criteria for anything other than audio apps (for now?).