AVIC411.com

5000 and Android phone (S4)

The 4000 has HDMI while the 5000 does not. The 4000 on the other hand does not have any form of built in navigation. For that you would need apps to do anything. 

As far as this mirrorlink question, the S4 does support it, and I think the HTC one does as well. In order to use mirrorlink you just plug a USB to Micro usb into USB port 2 (has to be port 2 on the radio) and plug the other end into the phone. You then have to open a Mirrorlink app. Samsung for example has car apps that do this. 

As far as apps mode, you are a fish out of water with the 5000. It just doesn't support your devices. Sorry. It does support Apps, just like Pioneer advertises, but only for iPhones on the 5000.

That's the issue with the Adroid phones in general vs the iPhone. The shear number of iPhones on the latest OS release and the large number of differant android phones with various releases of android and hardware specs. It's a heck of a lot easier to develop for one device than 100.

The 4000 has HDMI while the 5000 does not. The 4000 on the other hand does not have any form of built in navigation. For that you would need apps to do anything. 

As far as this mirrorlink question, the S4 does support it, and I think the HTC one does as well. In order to use mirrorlink you just plug a USB to Micro usb into USB port 2 (has to be port 2 on the radio) and plug the other end into the phone. You then have to open a Mirrorlink app. Samsung for example has car apps that do this. 

As far as apps mode, you are a fish out of water with the 5000. It just doesn't support your devices. Sorry. It does support Apps, just like Pioneer advertises, but only for iPhones on the 5000. 

Thanks for info. I did connect the USB to micro USB for my S4 but the unit said INCOMPATIBLE USB device. Can you point me to the Samsung car apps for Mirrorlink which is what may need to be used?

PS: I tried DRIVELINK from THE DRIVE TEAM and it crashes on S4 when opening. I have read this is a common problem with DRIVELINK software :-( Not sure when this will be fixed.

Thanks for info. I did connect the USB to micro USB for my S4 but the unit said INCOMPATIBLE USB device. Can you point me to the Samsung car apps for Mirrorlink which is what may need to be used?

PS: I tried DRIVELINK from THE DRIVE TEAM and it crashes on S4 when opening. I have read this is a common problem with DRIVELINK software :-( Not sure when this will be fixed.

What's your radio mode set to?

Go to settings>system(the screwdriver and wrench button)>input/output settings>smartphone setup. Your radio should be set to "others". If it is set to iPhone your radio won't work over USB with your phones.

What's your radio mode set to?

Go to settings>system(the screwdriver and wrench button)>input/output settings>smartphone setup. Your radio should be set to "others". If it is set to iPhone your radio won't work over USB with your phones.

Its set to OTHERS ..connection via USB. Still I see the "Incompatible device" error. However I can play pandora if i set the radio input to Pandora.

Its set to OTHERS ..connection via USB. Still I see the "Incompatible device" error. However I can play pandora if i set the radio input to Pandora.

Make sure your phone is not set to charge only when usb is connected. You make have to go into phone settings and change the setting from "charge only" to another option that allows phone to communicate with head unit. It has been a while since i owned an Android, but i remember having to change that setting to tether(for example). Also has to be USB2 not USB1. I have a feeling the phone is the one not allowing the communication, once you have the head unit set to USB.

Make sure your phone is not set to charge only when usb is connected. You make have to go into phone settings and change the setting from "charge only" to another option that allows phone to communicate with head unit. It has been a while since i owned an Android, but i remember having to change that setting to tether(for example). Also has to be USB2 not USB1. I have a feeling the phone is the one not allowing the communication, once you have the head unit set to USB.

I tried the "tether" option but then I got stuck in the "FORMAT READ" display ...Nothing happened at all...

i was using tether as an example, since it is for sharing internet. I could not remember the options that showed up when i plugged in to computer, options were something like, charge only, connect as external drive(or something to that order).  i just remember having to change the setting for the computer to connect. I thought this might be the hold-up, since the incompatible device error message. The head unit obviously can't communicate with the phone. Just trying to help figure this out with you guys.

For the Samsung phone you'll need the Play Store app "Drive Link." From the bit of playing I did with that app, it sorta kinda looks like AppRadio. It also looks like it might even work, unlike AppRadio. 

Let us know how it works out if you can get it running. That might be the impetus for me to get a NEX unit.

For the Samsung phone you'll need the Play Store app "Drive Link." From the bit of playing I did with that app, it sorta kinda looks like AppRadio. It also looks like it might even work, unlike AppRadio. 

Let us know how it works out if you can get it running. That might be the impetus for me to get a NEX unit.

He has tried that already, see previous post. It crashes on startup on his phone.

He has tried that already, see previous post. It crashes on startup on his phone.

This is unfortunate. Hopefully pioneer will get android auto into the NEX line at some point in the future. Both your phones will most likely be supported.

• 2 weeks later...

You may require drivers for your specific phones. For Samsung the driver to allow your phone to "talk" to Mirrorlink is called Drivelink. In checking the Google Play Apps, this is not available for Samsung phones beyond the S3. And, from what I see on Google Play that app doesn't seem to have made many folks too happy.