AVIC411.com

I have a HTPC, it goes through my AV Reciever. Best of both worlds.

The point was that I don't even need an AV receiver

I don't want "online" maps provided by Apple or Google as my only form of Nav as I may be out of coverage.

There are always alternatives.  Heck, my first [electronics-based :)] nav system was a laptop with Street Atlas and GPS module... back in '98.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are always alternatives.  Heck, my first [electronics-based :)] nav system was a laptop with Street Atlas and GPS module... back in '98.

Ah, that's brings back memories for me. That was also my first navigation system. The laptop was about two inched thick and weighed 12 pounds.

I agree totally, they should have released AVICSync and then release carplay when it's ready. Yes I do want a polished product and not a thrown together app, but these AVICSync connected services should have been running, tested and ready for prime time upon release of the HU. I really like the unit but it is not a finished product as for what was sold to me. I was willing to wait a bit, but this bit is passing. If another unit is released that I like I'll be returning it for a full refund, I already called my credit card and spoke with them about it and I have there blessing. Hence the reason I like to pay by credit card for items.

I do hope pioneer gets it going and releases the app to finish off my nex.

For $1,400 (retail for the 8000, but who paid retail?) we were buying not just the current product, the the promise of a better product when the upgrades came. I love the multi touch screen, but I rarely take advantage of it. I spend more time cleaning the finger prints off the screen than I do pinching and zooming. But, it is by far the best HU that I have ever installed/used.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do doesn't it?

How about playing SACD or DVD-A discs? Wiring KEF speakers in for full 7.1 audio in DTS-HD?

As I said, I have a HTPC running through my AV and it gets a lot of use, but it's no replacement for my OPPO Bluray player. Best of both worlds...

I guess it all depends on what you want to do doesn't it?

How about playing SACD or DVD-A discs? Wiring KEF speakers in for full 7.1 audio in DTS-HD?

As I said, I have a HTPC running through my AV and it gets a lot of use, but it's no replacement for my OPPO Bluray player. Best of both worlds...

I have a blu ray burner, Pioneer's most recent best, don't remember the model number offhand.  Cannot only read those, and a lot other types, I can burn 'em too.

And my system is 7.1 audio... everything doubled: 14 JBL studio monitors, two JBL 2269H 18" drivers in self designed and constructed cabinets... they literally shake the house.  I only realize it in other areas of the house because when I'm in my theater room, it shakes me, too!!!

This is reflected by their opting to not go with a major player in GPS navigation.  If they had gone with Garmin, they could have included HD Digital Traffic and not even have to depend on a SmartPhone for data transfer.

The navi software Pioneer is using for the new units is based on iGo which is one of the bigest navi apps in the world so they are going with a major player here. And Pio cant use Garmin sense they are in bed with Kenwood.

The navi software Pioneer is using for the new units is based on iGo which is one of the bigest navi apps in the world so they are going with a major player here. And Pio cant use Garmin sense they are in bed with Kenwood.

I thought it was Nokia here maps?

I have a blu ray burner, Pioneer's most recent best, don't remember the model number offhand. Cannot only read those, and a lot other types, I can burn 'em too.

Really? Could you get hold of the model number of this mythical SACD reader / burner? You'll make a lot of people happy if this is real.

Since 2008 Sony have refused to license the DSD hardware decrypter for any PC based drives as they aren't secure.

They don't make one and yet they let Pioneer?!

Really? Could you get hold of the model number of this mythical SACD reader / burner? You'll make a lot of people happy if this is real.

Since 2008 Sony have refused to license the DSD hardware decrypter for any PC based drives as they aren't secure.

They don't make one and yet they let Pioneer?!

Busted!!!

But I should note it was not my intent to mislead.  Just a bit too overzealous and didn't confirm. But then again, it was a loaded question from the get-go, and you knew it.  BTW, it don't read DVD-A either.

In a perhaps sad attempt to save face, I'll offer the following:

Wikipedia states "...research published in 2007 found no significant difference in audio quality between SACD and standard CD at ordinary volume levels." Source: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14195

And regarding both formats, there is the issue of available titles, not to mention both are essentially dead formats... especially with the wider acceptance of blu ray.

Then getting back to the topic, from my viewpoint it seems a bit contradictory on your part to even bring up SACD and DVD-A when you're taking the stance the difference between lossless and 320kbps mp3 audio qality is imperceptible!

Multichannel Audio, that's the only reason.

I have 8,000+ CDs, all ripped to lossless (ALAC) and held on multi TB RAID storage, in the house they get played like that through the Sonos, however I find myself having less and less time to listen to audio in the house so most of my music listening is done in the car on the commute to work or in the office through my iDevice and headphones.

For those purposes I rip to lower bitrate AAC files and I'll be honest I struggle to tell the difference in a noisy environment when I'm not listening intently as it's "background" music, hence my original comment about car environments and lossless audio.

However SACD & DVD-A being the precursor to Bluray have a number of classic albums which are only available in multichannel audio on those formats, I have upwards of 100 of those discs which can only be listened to on a dedicated player through an AV Receiver (OPPO & Denon in my case).

Hence my "best of both worlds" comments... :)

Nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds... which leads back to my earlier comment about the pros and cons.  Discrete multichannel from audio only media is one of the cons, but not a deal breaker.  All my content, be it stereo or 5.1 gets 'virtualized' to 7.1 through Dolby Pro IIx processing.

So we're back to the more relevant issue.  Porting phones has become a major feature and selling point for head unit manufacturers.  The next step in car infotainment systems could simply be a dock type interface for the portable device of one's choosing.  Perhaps even wireless.  To some degree, one can already do it if they wanted.  For example, take a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3 and stream audio over bluetooth and completely go without a head unit.  Yes there likely are limitations... but it seems we consumers run into that no matter what route we decide to take... :)