AVIC411.com

Avic 8000NEX - iDataLink questions (Maestro RR)

It appears that the Avic 8000NEX in its current configuration does not support the feature of displaying car information with 'gauge like' screens.  In fact Maestro told me on the phone that the Maestro RR only controls the steering wheel radio controls that are on the steering wheel.

My question to all of the AVIC experts is:  do you think that Pioneer will 'correct this' in the future?

Will the correction be in the manner of a Software/Firmware (not sure of the correct term) update?

This iDataLink 'feature' is available with Kenwood and Alpine head units.  It is basically reading the ODB II info from your car.  

It has 5 Gauges with the option of displaying:

Boost/Vacuum

Distance to empty

Engine Load

Engine Coolant temp

Engine Oil temp

Exhaust gas temp

External air temp

Fuel pressure

Instantaneous fuel economy

Intake air temp

Intake manifold air pressure

Mass air flow

RPM

Throttle plate position

Torque

Timing advance

Transmission Fluid temp

Vehicle speed

I spoke with Idatalink and they said the NEX units will not support gauges or vehicle info at all this year. Only certain Maestro functions like Sync with Ford and Sattelite radio with GM. This is shame because the NEX units will do so much else...........Once that Damn firmware update is released!!!

the guages show more than listed as it shows acceleration, # of gals left and a couple more.  You can only chose those that are supported by the car and the firmware version of the meastro controler.  I was told about the nex and no guages as well.  It doesnt really matter if you are holding out for carplay but if guages are what you want if your using the meastro rr then you really need to get a kenwood or alpine.  I am sure though wether it be this years nex or next years nex guages will be added to a pioneer radio that supports the idatalink.  Just because the car information option is the only reason to buy an idata link capable radio over a radio that does not support the link.  The RR does however work as a SW controller as my installer did not install the RR correctly the first time and even though the radio was not connected to the RR through the idatalink jack the SW controls still worked for the vol +/- and the bluetooth controls of the phone I have.

Ron

The car info screen of radios that support that screen allow you to read and clear TDC's as well no phone or scan tool needed..  I also have a scan tool for my car that allows me to program my supported options that the dealer disables or does not enable by default but its easier to just setup the radio using gauges i would want anyway but would not want to be taking up space.

Ron

I can't wait for the moaning and groaning once Carplay is released...... I can tell you right now it's not going to work 100% for everyone.... 

And yet the bitching has been non stop because Carplay wasn't released in "early summer" as implied. Taking longer to resolve compatibility issues, or licensing issues, or marketing issues means little to some people.

I can't wait for the moaning and groaning once Carplay is released...... I can tell you right now it's not going to work 100% for everyone.... 

And yet the bitching has been non stop because Carplay wasn't released in "early summer" as implied. Taking longer to resolve compatibility issues, or licensing issues, or marketing issues means little to some people.

They sold the units with a promise of early summer carplay. When I buy something with a promise I expect that promise to be kept.

The least they could do is give a reasonable timeframe explination.

They sold the units with a promise of early summer carplay. When I buy something with a promise I expect that promise to be kept.

The least they could do is give a reasonable timeframe explination.

This is why companies like Blizzard famously never give any timeframes, they just say it will be ready when it's done. Lots of issues can come up developing a big update like this, and Carplay is something of an entirely new product for Apple. If they wouldn't have given the summer timeframe, people would be complaining that they never gave a date when it would be released, and whining that it's vaporware. 

This is why companies like Blizzard famously never give any timeframes, they just say it will be ready when it's done. Lots of issues can come up developing a big update like this, and Carplay is something of an entirely new product for Apple. If they wouldn't have given the summer timeframe, people would be complaining that they never gave a date when it would be released, and whining that it's vaporware. 

If Grandma had balls she'd be Grandpa.

They did set a date, that date has passed & I find it great all these Pioneer employees are here to shovel the corporate fecal matter.

If Grandma had balls she'd be Grandpa.

They did set a date, that date has passed & I find it great all these Pioneer employees are here to shovel the corporate fecal matter.

Ha - I'm not a Pioneer employee. I think it sucks just as much that the update isn't out, since I really want Carplay. I'm just pointing out that if they had never given a timeframe people would just be bitching about that.