AVIC411.com

How do I update the maps for an Avic-6000nex

Hi. Has anyone had any success updating the maps on a 6000? I've been to naviextras.com, registered, dl'ed the toolbox, etc... and can't get anything to work. The toolbox doesn't detect the brand new/fat32 formatted 8gb micro sd card and the sync button on the headunit doesn't do anything with the card installed, either. I'm trying to avoid pulling the headunit back out to try the usb method. I thought I remembered reading on here that someone had success with the card. Thanks.

My home address isn't in the maps... and my apartment complex is nearly 20 years old!

That's likely the fault of whoever built the complex. My wife's old boss had that problem - his housing development wasn't on maps nearly ten years after it was built. So he went to the county, and the builder hadn't submitted whatever needed to be submitted in order for that to happen. He and a few other homeowners got together and got it taken care of.

We have two things to look for next week.  Apple is expected to give the go-ahead to manufacturing to release their latest firmware for individual units.  This firmware will contain AppleCar play support but if we look at the latest update in the EU markets, there is another note in the firmware release notes that say this version is required for the use of the naviextras site.  The site works but currently we cannot initialize the USB/SD card in the navigation menus and synctool.  I would bet that the mention of supporting naviextras directly enables the sync tool to work.

• 4 weeks later...

With the latest firmware that was just released, it allows the Synctool inside the GPS to install and initialize.  I tried it out, it wrote some information to my drive then I plugged into my laptop and opened Naviextras toolbox.  It detected the system was an AVIC-8000 and that the maps were out of date.  The latest maps available are still a year old, 2013Q4.  The maps preinstalled were 2013Q2.  Something else I noted, it says my update subscription only lasts until October 27th, 2014.  This is odd because we are supposed to get 90 days as part of the latest map guarantee program.  Initially this was 90 days from the first day your system acquired GPS signal.  I contacted support a month ago and inquired/complained about the tool to update the maps not being available and asked if the 90 days started when we got the unit or when the Syncapp was released.  I was told and still have the email from support that says "Since the update has not been released it will be 90 days from the day of the update becomes available."  The clock should start yesterday on October 2, 2014 and last 90 days until January 1, 2015, let’s just hope they release some maps before then.

Crazy they are still a year behind, but back to the update part.  The navitoolbox downloaded all the 2013Q4 maps (took hours!) and put them on the flash drive but when I actually try to install in the car it throws an error.  Has anyone successfully got this to work yet?

Has Pioneer officially launched map updates for the NEX units yet?  It sounds like they have just enabled the update feature with this new firmware, but I haven't seen any press releases from Pioneer announcing that.  There isn't even any mention of how to update maps in the user manual or on their website for any of the NEX units.  I would think the 90-day free update period would begin when they go public with this feature.

That said, I registered at NaviExtras, downloaded the Toolbox, prepared a USB Drive in the nav settings of the NEX, and plugged it into my computer.  The 2013Q4 update is listed, but it isn't free for me... $129.99!!!!  I got my 8000NEX in May.

I got through! And other than a dropped call on my first 10 minute wait, I had a really great experience with Pioneer Technical support.

Here is what I have learned:

Our one "free" map upgrade will be made possible by the yet to be launched AVICSYNC not through NAVIEXTRAS.COM which is a "3rd party company" and not supported by Pioneer.

I commented on how happy I was with CarPlay, and yet he apologized for being 4 days late after the Summer deadline. 

He went on to explain WHY it was late, which I found interesting and indirectly assuring of Pioneers quality control. He said the 1.06 firmware that enabled Carplay was tested with iOS8.0.2 and was ready for release when they received, very late in the 1.06 development, iOS 8.1 beta . He said that iOS8.1beta had some glitches with CarPlay in NEX 1.06 so they held it until a fix was ready.

I know I appreciate this decision as I would have gained an unknown amount of glitches when I moved to my iOS8.1 beta over the weekend, shortly after just gaining CarPlay.

So it does, indeed, appear that Pioneer is trying their best to keep up with Apples fast iOS rollouts at least one beta version into the future.

This simple explanation on Pioneers facebook page could have quelled many on this forum (but not all... some of you will never be happy). It definitely makes me feel better, at least now, after learning of the issues they prevented.