AVIC411.com

H.264 video support in NEX - answered

I've read many others on this forum that have tried an SDXC CARD and they haven't worked, solid likened hear from those guys again.

Well it's an interesting note that the review in question had the drive formated to NTFS instead of FAT32. That may be a factor.

Edit: Corrected an abbreviation. 

I've read many others on this forum that have tried an SDXC CARD and they haven't worked, solid likened hear from those guys again.

The problem people had with sdxc cards, formatted to ntfs or fat32, was corruption after several writes and rewrites. I have been researching this, and some say there is a hidden partition that needs to be removed(causes corruption) and some say the controller is different and that causes corruption. General consensus is use a 3rd party partition manager software to remove all partitions and then format. There has to be a reason all sdxc cards are formatted to exfat.

The problem people had with sdxc cards, formatted to ntfs or fat32, was corruption after several writes and rewrites. I have been researching this, and some say there is a hidden partition that needs to be removed(causes corruption) and some say the controller is different and that causes corruption. General consensus is use a 3rd party partition manager software to remove all partitions and then format. There has to be a reason all sdxc cards are formatted to exfat.

Straight from SanDisk's Knowledgebase (http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd%2Fsdhc%2Fsdxc-specifications-and-compatibility):  "SDXC cards will work in SDHC compatible readers (not SD readers) if the computer OS supports exFAT."

The reason why most/all SDXC cards come formatted exFAT and not NTFS, is probably because OS X not having native NTFS support. (just imagine most lay persons returning their cards claiming they don't work)

Sdxc compatibility with computers is not the issue, pioneer does not support exfat, sdxc does not come formatted fat32. Sdxc cards have had corruption problems when formatted fat32. Pioneer manual is correct in stating only sdhc is supported, because of this. Again, people have reformatted sdxc to fat32, and they are read by the head unit, but when they have changed files or written over files, many have had file corruption, i have been trying to find out what is causing the corruption.

SDXC cards are pre-formatted with Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system. Microsoft does not publish the specifications of exFAT and its use requires purchase of a license, so many alternative or older operating systems do not support exFAT, even if they support the SDXC card reader hardware. This means that SDXC cards using exFAT are not a universal exchange medium to all SDXC host devices.l

SDXC cards can be reformatted to use alternative file systems. For example, FAT32 supports volumes up to the SDXC's maximum theoretical capacity of 2 TB as well, and technically it can be used in a SDXC host device that can handle volumes larger than 32 GB, if the device can support the card's file system.

However, in order to be fully compliant with the SDXC card specification many SDXC-capable host devices are firmware-programmed to expect exFAT on cards larger than 32 GB, and consequently may not accept SDXC cards reformatted as FAT32, even if the device supports FAT32 on smaller cards (for SDHC compatibility). Therefore, even if a file system is supported in general, it isn't always possible to use alternative file systems on SDXC cards at all depending on how strictly the SDXC card specification has been implemented in the device, and it bears a risk of accidental loss of data, as a host device may treat a card with an unrecognized file system as blank or damaged and reformat the card.

FAT32 does not support volume greater than 32GB, although you can "hack" to support >32GB. There's nothing stopping anyone from formatting SDXC card using different file systems other than FAT32 or exFAT or NTFS; the SD card shows up as as low-level USB Mass Storage Device (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass_storage_device_class). From what I can find, SDXC is electrically compatible with SDHC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital).

The corruption you're referring occurs due to corruption of FAT32 writes onto non-standard FAT32 formatted device. That is a data issue, not an issue caused by some fundamental SDXC vs. SDHC physical format. I would like to see more factual claims other than anecdotal evidence on this discussion - thanks.

• 2 months later...

For those who encode/transcode movies for their NEX, the highest supported h.264 profile is High 5.1. 4000NEX's manual has a lot of wrong information about resolutions and stuff, so I wanted to check what the unit is really capable of, so I transcoded a 2 min clip with various profiles, and 5.1 was the best my NEX played. A file with 5.2 profile was recognized as a movie, but its preview was blank and it didn't play.

The unit seems to play direct Blu-Ray rips without any problems (i.e. no transcoding, no modified audio), so if the storage is not a limiting factor, I suggest using DVD and Blu-Ray rips straight without any conversions. 720p and 1080p both work fine with AAC audio passthrough. Even with these quite large files (~20 GB for a Blu-Ray movie) NEX is really fast, and using the time slider in playback works instantaneously.