AVIC411.com

AppRadio 4 with CarPlay just announced - finally...

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/pioneer-sph-da120-with-apple-carplay

As I say, I think the bypass is easier in the UK and Europe for some reason. We've only ever had to ground a wire which is usually only grounded with the handbrake to get it working. I'd imagine that whatever works for the AR3 should work with the 4 though, although that's not a guarantee!

The manual says you need a CD- IU201S cable which plugs in a proprietary socket for 30 pin Apple devices. I will try with my girlfriends iPod at the weekend though. I suspect you'd only get audio though and no apps/video if it were an iPod touch.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the AR2 and AR 4 have the same inputs on the back and I can upgrade as y ou did just by removing and installing back the new unit. I'do hate to have to rewrite everything, it is a nightmare!!

Does the AR4 comes with the GPS module and the microphone, or our have to buy it separately?

I wonder if the AR2 and AR 4 have the same inputs on the back and I can upgrade as y ou did just by removing and installing back the new unit. I'do hate to have to rewrite everything, it is a nightmare!!

Does the AR4 comes with the GPS module and the microphone, or our have to buy it separately?

Yes, the AR2 and AR3 have identical inputs and leads, so you will be able to do the same as me. The AR4 also comes with mic and GPS which again is identical. You can just switch the head unit and leave everything else as is.

Only issue I had was with the reverse camera. When I did my AR3 install, I was a bit lazy and didn't ground the power for the camera because it could get a ground via the video jack. For whatever reason, this doesn't work on the AR4, but when I grounded the camera to the chassis, it worked fine.

Yes, the AR2 and AR3 have identical inputs and leads, so you will be able to do the same as me. The AR4 also comes with mic and GPS which again is identical. You can just switch the head unit and leave everything else as is.

Only issue I had was with the reverse camera. When I did my AR3 install, I was a bit lazy and didn't ground the power for the camera because it could get a ground via the video jack. For whatever reason, this doesn't work on the AR4, but when I grounded the camera to the chassis, it worked fine.

That is very cool. So it should be an easy swap.

I expect my backup camera to work without any issue as it is already grounded properly.

It is for carplay. You need to same leads as before if you want to use Appradio.

One minor annoyance is you can'd just plug it into the other lead to choose between carplay and AR - You have to go into settings and change a preference and reconnect the phone.

That said, I'd imagine Carplay is going to kill off Appradio as it becomes pushed as a standard.

That said, I'd imagine Carplay is going to kill off Appradio as it becomes pushed as a standard.

App Radio was a nice try, but it has no future and no past. So the few apps that supported it will eventually switch to CarPlay if API are available. Why support a non-standard third party API if there is one from Apple that will work on any third party hardware.

Cool, I can't see any use for appradio mode with car play.

Totally with you on this. CarPlay is the way to go. Especially when Pioneer did not even badder updating their AppRadio software in time for iOS 8...

On my app radio 2, I selected the mode to be with iPhone 4 and I use a 30 pin to lightning adaptor, and use my 5s as an iPod. And since switching back and forth between the 2 modes sucks, it it in iPhone 4 mode all the time...