AVIC411.com

AppRadio 4 with CarPlay just announced - finally...

Much thanks JJJones! I am going to pull the trigger finally. Now if only carplay would utilize Waze instead of Apple map crap!

I think it is just a matter of the developer making an update to his code to support Car Play. Contact them and ask the question.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it being that unlikely, they want users, if they thought like that they wouldnt release Waze in the app store at all

Agreed. And they did it for App Radio, so why not Car Play?

Maybe the turn around time is more due to the limited hardware to test on, the limited number of users, hence the limited number if request for it..

Would love to see a jailbreak tweak for Carplay that would allow more apps to work.  Anyone jailbroken on iOS8 yet and see any tweaks being developed?

Even if a jailbreak would exist, the best you could expect will be a screen mirroring. Not an optimize view.

The solution is for the developers to update their apps...

Even if a jailbreak would exist, the best you could expect will be a screen mirroring. Not an optimize view.

The solution is for the developers to update their apps...

LOL.  Not the case bud.  Apple will decide what apps can be "optimized" not the developers.  It will take a jailbreak tweak to get into the guts of the carplay code and "trick" it to show on screen.

LOL.  Not the case bud.  Apple will decide what apps can be "optimized" not the developers.  It will take a jailbreak tweak to get into the guts of the carplay code and "trick" it to show on screen.

There'so already a few apps supporting Car Play without jailbreak:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/carplay-enabled-car-owners-will-heart-the-new-version-of-iheartradio

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/23/iheartradio-rdio-are-latest-ios-apps-to-add-support-for-apples-carplay

By the way for Canadian buyers, Futureshop and BestBuy are now offering the App Radio 4 online:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/fr-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-appradio-4-6-2-bluetooth-double-din-smartphone-receiver-sph-da120-sph-da120/10327763.aspx?path=e861ade425676888b27dd8e53045fd9dfr02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-appradio-4-6-2-bluetooth-double-din-smartphone-receiver-sph-da120-sph-da120/10327763.aspx?path=afb75bb53ae2d376212ac8cac9d64c7den02

meall, I didn't say non apple apps would not be able to work with Carplay...I said for more apps (especially one's Apple will NEVER approve like Google Maps) to work, likely a jailbreak tweak would have to be developed.  A developer cannot have their app CarPlay compatible without Apple authorizing it to do so.

meall, I didn't say non apple apps would not be able to work with Carplay...I said for more apps (especially one's Apple will NEVER approve like Google Maps) to work, likely a jailbreak tweak would have to be developed. A developer cannot have their app CarPlay compatible without Apple authorizing it to do so.

I clearly understood your words, but you are supposing that Apple will put such restrictions out of nowhere. Who told you that Google Maps we'll be refused to use Car Play? If so, Why Apple permits Google Maps at all to be in the App Store in the first place?

Your arguments does not rely on anything solid.

More, if Apple wants manufacturers to build Car Play enabled head units and car, the more apps the more likely.

I installed one of these last week. Works great. (Bought from Halfords in the UK, shipped down to Spain and installed myself)

Still learning the ins and outs but so far it does everything I need.

However, I installed a good quality reversing camera today and have a problem that I'm hoping someone on here can help me with. (I've been searching the web like crazy this afternoon but none of the work arounds seem to be working for me!)

I wired it up as follows:

Camera + to reverse light +

Camera - to ground. (camera works. so far, so good)

HU reverse input to reverse light + (Spliced into reverse light +, along with the camera +)

Camera Video output to HU video input.

HU handbrake sensor wire to ground to fool the HU into thinking the handbrake is on.

Heres the problem. When engaging reverse, the HU display instantly switches to a black blank screen with the usual warning "screen images may be reversed". I press the "X" and the screen instantly reverts back to whatever was displayed prior to engaging reverse, instead of going to the reverse camera input display.

If I'm in app mode I then press "mode" and then "AV" and then "AV" and up comes the rear view camera display perfectly.

Car play mode is the same with an additional step "Pioneer Home" to get to the app mode menu.

Heres the thing..........I was expecting the rear view display to come up automatically without having to press the additional menu buttons!

So, is this normal or have I messed up the wiring?, or is there a hidden menu option I haven't found?, or is the handbrake sensor ground messing things up?

I've been through all the possible menu settings and nothing makes any difference so far.

Its the same whether in carplay or app mode.

I'm really hoping I've made a mistake somewhere because having to scroll through menus to get the rear view image every time I engage reverse is a right royal pain in the ass!

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as its driving me nuts! :?

Many Thanks in advance  :wink: