AVIC411.com

CarPlay, NEX 4000, no call audio

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siri's voice used to come in loud and clear for me. Then I noticed (no new software applied) that I couldn't hear her anymore. I noticed when I parked that her volume was just really low. I think if you adjust the head unit's main volume while Siri should be talking then you can make adjustments. It did not appear this had any effect on the volume of music, etc. I still need to confirm but I think this is what I experienced yesterday. How else could Siri be loud and all of a sudden become quiet?

@rockthebeef - I'll have to try that when my wife gets home with her car. I'll report back.

I'm an iOS developer by trade and as such, I actually filed a bug on this issue with Apple. I have no idea if it's actually their fault or Pioneer's (or user error) but I figure if one of their engineers looks at it, can't hurt (though typically you don't get bug feedback very quickly unless it happens to be an issue they're currently tracking and running down).

I actually double checked this today. I should disclose that I use an AppRadio 4, but I believe they should be extremely similar. I started playing music and then turned the volume to 0. Then I pressed the 'talk' button on my steering wheel to bring Siri up. I could hear her fine and was able to adjust her volume while she was talking - I noticed Siri's volume did not start at 0 as I had previously set the music to. As soon as Siri's on-screen volume display vanished I could then again adjust the music's volume, which was previously set to 0. There is no on-screen difference that indicates whether you're adjusting the media volume or Siri's volume. You just need to be situationally aware. Perhaps a firmware update could label the on-screen display more appropriately. 

By the way, Maps' voice guidance volume is still controlled by the "Alerts" volume level. 

Ok, was able to give this another try.

At this point, I'm virtually certain it's not operator error. I tried adjusting the volume (both via the soft buttons on the unit and also on the steering wheel) while Siri would be talking. Nothing. The volume indicator is in the '30s'. The alerts level is about the same. Still nada.

Anybody else have any great ideas? I guess it may be time to loop in Pioneer support. Sigh.

BTW - anyone heard anything about upcoming firmware releases? Hoping that might help.

Keep in mind, Siri voice and HF calling audio plays out of front channels only, the rear speakers are muted. 

Try adjusting the fader on the radio all the way to front speakers, if audio cuts out on all sources it's an installation issue. Most common is Chrysler/Jeep amplifiers with 2 channel rear input to the OEM amplifier. Easily resolved by wiring the front preouts or speaker wires to the rear channels on your installation harness.

Keep in mind, Siri voice and HF calling audio plays out of front channels only, the rear speakers are muted. 

Try adjusting the fader on the radio all the way to front speakers, if audio cuts out on all sources it's an installation issue. Most common is Chrysler/Jeep amplifiers with 2 channel rear input to the OEM amplifier. Easily resolved by wiring the front preouts or speaker wires to the rear channels on your installation harness.

Huh. This is a Jeep... Superjet, much thanks. That sounds like a hot lead. I'll dig in and report back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sure I wasnt the only one hoping iOS 8.2 would resolve these issues. It made no difference for me. I finally disabled CarPlay after pulling the unit and checking all the wiring. Everything works fine in the non CarPlay mode. FIX THIS PIONEER. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

I may have found something that helps.  Go into the Pioneer settings, and then phone setup, and turn carplay off.  It tells you that it will disconnect everything and it does.  Then turn the car off, turn car back on with radio playing in non carplay mode for a minute or two. THEN go back into settings and turnn phone input settings and turn Carplay back on.  Now try Capplay.

That has seemed to work for me.  All the Siri/connection issues I was having have been fixed, at least for several driving sessions.

I may have found something that helps.  Go into the Pioneer settings, and then phone setup, and turn carplay off.  It tells you that it will disconnect everything and it does.  Then turn the car off, turn car back on with radio playing in non carplay mode for a minute or two. THEN go back into settings and turnn phone input settings and turn Carplay back on.  Now try Capplay.

That has seemed to work for me.  All the Siri/connection issues I was having have been fixed, at least for several driving sessions.

I will give it a shot though I think my problem is related to the navigation not been working. It does not detect gps signals and display a message asking to take it to the dealer.