AVIC411.com

Alpine's CarPlay Unit Has Been Announced

No HDMI input, only one USB input port on the back. Can't tell if the faceplate is removable or not, but at $800 MSRP (only $50 more than MSRP on the 4000NEX) I've already listed two big things that my Pioneer 4000NEX can do that this Alpine unit can't, and another that looks doubtful.

I had high hopes for the Alpine unit, especially given how underwhelmed I was with Pioneer's implementation (I've completely turned CarPlay off).  Unfortunately, it looks like I'll continue to be left wishing.

The web page on Alpine web site: http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/carplay-ilx-007

I also found the ILX-007 owner's manual: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/500/500ILX007.PDF

The faceplate is indeed removable (see p. 27)

Some advantages over AppRadio 4:

- bigger screen (identical 7" capacitive multitouch screen as in the much more expensive -although more complete- 8000NEX)

- shorter (cooler?) 3.3" chassis

- dedicated physical Siri button (useful to activate Siri without having to actually WATCH the HU nor press and hold the nonphysical Home button)

Another thing: some Alpine HUs retain the MFD/DIS functionality for a variety of cars, through the appropriate steering wheel control interface. I wonder if the ILX-007 offers it too.

The web page on Alpine web site: http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/carplay-ilx-007

I also found the ILX-007 owner's manual: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/500/500ILX007.PDF

The faceplate is indeed removable (see p. 27)

I don't think this is what you're thinking of.  Based on the diagrams in the manual, it looks like the plastic trim around the unit is removable, not the actual screen itself.  Not much in the way of a theft deterrent.

After reading through the manual of the Alpine, and knowing my 4000, here are my thoughts on all 3 options

Alpine ILX-007

Advantages

7 inch Capacitive display 600 dollars less than an 8000NEX

much smaller footprint

Dedicated Siri Button

Smartphone integration for audio tuning

Disadvantages

Most Expensive of the 3 choices

Nowhere near as expandable as Pioneer units. Specifically

No iDatalink Connectivity. 

No HDMI

No HD radio

only 1 USB port

No Bluetooth

Only 1 camera input

No SD card which btw means you have to pull the head unit or route the extension cable to the cabin every time you update the software

No mention in manual of sound cancelling for microphone

No android support, so this radio is dead in the water if you switch apps. hope you like your aux port. 

Non removable display

No dedicated Nav option (some people care)

AppRadio 4

Advantages

Cheapest of the 3 units. 

Capacitive 6.1 display. Also might add, all displays have the same resolution. 800x480 LED lit TFT display so you lose little with the smaller display

Almost as many inputs as the 4000. Only missing the SD Card, so put your extension cable in a good place. 

Built in GPS to enhance your positioning for carplay or appradio apps. 

Noise cancelling microphone with Parrot Tech.

Disadvantages

No dedicated Nav option

No SD card support

AVH-4000NEX

7 inch Removable display. Gives you a nice sense of security that the display can come off. 

SD card support

Can install optional dedicated Nav.

Disk drive for if you care

Disadvantages

Resistive display-carplay does not work anywhere near as well with this. 

Display has poor daytime properties. 

Personally right now my money is on an appradio 4. I'm going to wait to see if the Alpine drops in price. I don't use any of the extra features of the 4000. I just use carplay, but I can't in good conscience spend 800 bucks just to get a 7 inch capacitive display.

Nice comparison. 

I agree that the Alpine is priced too high. After reading the few articles on this new unit, it seems that they justify the cost by having a larger screen than the $600 AR4, and also having a 7" capacitive display, like the $1400 8000NEX. I suppose that makes sense with an MSRP of $800, but really it should cost the same as the AR4 in my opinion. A $499 street price would make it really attractive.

I do like the fact that you can use a 45w watt/channel power pack that simply plugs and plays with the Alpine head unit. That is a super convenient option that only costs about $130. 

I'm also waiting for the prices to drop while my AppRadio2's screen is slowly dying. 

It is listed at $600 for preorder at Crutchfield. Given I can get AppRadio 4 for the same price, which one should I choose (I only plan on using CarPlay)? The main benefit for the Alpine is the larger screen. The main benefit for the Pioneer is I could hook up my iPod Classic to USB 2 and use it for short drives when I don't feel like taking my phone out of my pocket.

AppRadio 4

Advantages

Built in GPS to enhance your positioning for carplay or appradio apps.

WHAT? Does the Alpine really lack any dedicated GPS antenna? What a shame if this is actually the case.

AppRadio 4

Advantages

Noise cancelling microphone with Parrot Tech.

Can you please give a link supporting that statement? Nowhere in Pioneer owner's manual I see a ref to Parrot nor any noise cancellation technology.

WHAT? Does the Alpine really lack any dedicated GPS antenna? What a shame if this is actually the case.

Can you please give a link supporting that statement? Nowhere in Pioneer owner's manual I see a ref to Parrot nor any noise cancellation technology.

Most modern pioneer head units use the parrot fc6000s bluetooth chip. They at one point advertised this fact with the Appradio 3, but at this time, they have pulled all mention of the chip. I plan on taking apart my nex4000 out of boredom in the near future. I will let you know if that chip is in there as well.