AVIC411.com

Alpine's CarPlay Unit Has Been Announced

WHAT? Does the Alpine really lack any dedicated GPS antenna? What a shame if this is actually the case.

If it is a CarPlay only display then I don't see what an external GPS antenna would get you. The iPhone only uses its internal GPS antenna and does not take advantage of an external antenna.

If it is a CarPlay only display then I don't see what an external GPS antenna would get you. The iPhone only uses its internal GPS antenna and does not take advantage of an external antenna.

Incorrect. The iPhone can use an external GPS antenna when appropriate, and in the case of pioneer head units with built in GPS the iPhone is able to use it. 

Incorrect. The iPhone can use an external GPS antenna when appropriate, and in the case of pioneer head units with built in GPS the iPhone is able to use it.

Show me proof that the iPhone can use an external GPS antenna. There are external GPS receivers but in my searches I cannot find any evidence that the iPhone can use an external antenna (not receiver). Plus there are no pins on the lightning connector to pass the signal from a GPS antenna.

Show me proof that the iPhone can use an external GPS antenna. There are external GPS receivers but in my searches I cannot find any evidence that the iPhone can use an external antenna (not receiver). Plus there are no pins on the lightning connector to pass the signal from a GPS antenna.

Pioneer's Appradio 4 does not have native GPS navigation; the only navigation possible is through the connected phone. Nevertheless, it includes an external GPS antenna for the following reason:

"included external GPS antenna for boosting signal while using GPS apps" (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130SPDA120/Pioneer-SPH-DA120-AppRadio-4.html)

For what other reason would Pioneer include a GPS antenna for a unit where navigation is possible only through a connected phone?

(http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/SPH-DA120_InstallationManual070714.pdf)

And it's not like Pioneer is new to the iPhone GPS boosting game, as they offered this in 2011 for the old 30-pin iPhones (http://9to5mac.com/2011/01/05/pioneer-announces-iphone-gps-booster-with-built-in-speakerphone/)

Look at the Appradio forum to see users using iPod touches to run Appradio mode.

Ligning is a digital solution. There is no need for a dedicated Gps input. It's just data. Just like the data from the headunit of where you're touching the screen, or the voice from the microphone, the gps signal is sent to the phone via Usb 2.0. You're talkig about 480mbs transfer rate for the port. There's plenty of bandwidth for the gps data.

According to Pioneer directly on their web site:

GPS antenna to ensure accurate positioning whilst the phone is inside the car. (External GPS Antenna included)

ericvic and KarNPlay are right: sometimes the GPS reception of an iPhone can be poor in certain circumstances and when this is the case the dedicated GPS antenna is there to provide a good reception.

Almost nobody seems to have hands on this unit yet. As of Early November I found only those two short videos:

- Unboxing where John Haynes from Al & Ed's Autosound talks of an MSRP of $599 (instead of $800)

- Quick demo on a Jeep dashboard from Inphase Car Audio.

Thanks for those links. I have the unit on order from Crutchfield and keep hoping that it will ship soon.