AVIC411.com

What am I doing wrong? (8000NEX, Galaxy S5, AppRadio Mode)

I have an AVIC-8000NEX that I've been trying to get to work with my Galaxy S5 in AppRadio Mode, but I have thusfar been unsuccessful. Though the S5 isn't on Pioneer's list, others have reported that it works, so I must be missing something.

I have the Samsung MHL adapter connected to USB1 and the HDMI connector on the 8000NEX. I am able to go into AppRadio mode, but all that I get is a mirror of the phone's screen (a small sun-like globe on a gray background and the buttons on the left side). The 8000's button's work (for example, I can access the phone's menu from the 8000's screen), but I don't have any apps available. There are two apps checked within the AppRadio app as compatible - CarMediaPlay and Waze. The Bluetooth connection looks good.

So, basically, it looks like it's connected, the screen is mirrored, but I can't access any apps. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm happy to clarify anything that I haven't explained properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, no replies with help. That stinks. I just spent the $50 for the MHL, HDMI, etc kit, hooked it up and NOTHING! Not even screen mirroring. I will recheck my connections again. I was really hoping there would be many more S5 users out there and this forum would be of some help. Guess we are alone lol.

Oh crap, my s5 is hooked to usb1. I will try usb2 as my apps wont work. Dont know how many times the connectors on my dash can handle disconnecting/connecting lol. I tried the fw 1.08 and NOW my keyboard in maps SUCKS! I have to stare at whats being pressed because it takes several tries to enter one damn letter. So pissed, waste of a grand.

I have an 8000 trying to get an S3 to work with it. I have USB1/Aux at a plug I installed in the lower dash and the HDMI cable coming out of the dash for access. Ive played with all sorts of combinations connecting my phone but I don't get AppRadio, HDMI, or anything to work in any fashion. I can get BT to work all day long all up and down the block but nothing that I want to work. I just keep getting told that the fix for Android AppRadio will be here sometime before the end of the year.

your S five will work but you may need to do some things to get it to work. Pioneers basic AppRadio sucks there's only a few apps that work and the selection is quite dismal. Most if not all people are using AppRadio unchained Or AppRadio Liberator. to see if you can even get the basic stuff to work I'm assuming you have an HDMI connection into the back of the head unit as that is required along with the USB connection to the MHL adapter you purchased. Go into your smart phone settings on the head unit and change the device to other and HDMI. Go back and try to click apps not HDMI because HDMI mirror what your phone is doing but that is not actually Appradio. I suggest using AR Unchained as it is continuously supported and free to use at the basic level. There is a forum dedicated to it at XDA developers.com. Many people are using the s5 however it does require the phone to be rooted. Doesn't require you to lose anything your phone has or use any custom ROMs just to have root access. In my opinion it is well worth it to take the time read about it and use one of these alternative and better methods so you unlock your entire phones capabilities on the screen of your unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to gripe, and thank you so much for your help..but I gotta say, Pioneer pisses me off for advertising the capabilities of the 8000 and not delivering without having to go through so much to get some things to work. $1000 mistake and its all my fault for not researching well enough. They got me once, never again.

Well, in my case I'm fortunate in that AppRadio wasn't really a consideration when I bought it. I'd like to get it working since it's an available feature and is useful, but I would've purchased the 8000 if that wasn't one of its features. However, your point is right-on: if they're going to include a feature and advertise it, it needs to work.