AVIC411.com

8000NEX Owners: What Speakers do You Have?

sound really gonna be a function of a lot of things - i swapped out the stock speakers in my wrangler unlimited rubicon and upgraded to morel separates and a pioneer sub (which i love and am very happy with) - however, i also upgraded the amp to an alpine unit, and my guess is without doing that, the sound improvement wouldn't be quite as good. so' it's really a combo approach in my opinion with new amp, new speakers, new sub etc. to really fine tune the sound you want. swapping out speakers is a start for sure and there are probably a host of aftermarket options you'd prefer, but don't expect miracles...

Hertz HSK165XL's and a JL 10W3. Frankly, they're amazing but spendy. Having said that, I'm not sure I would bother hooking up any aftermarket speakers without an appropriate amplifier. Sure, you might get some marginal benefit out of aftermarket speakers over whatever cheap factory speakers came preinstalled in your car, but it's asking a lot of a head unit to be able to drive any aftermarket speakers efficiently.

So my setup is already:  8000NEX, 600w JL Audio amp, JL audio sub.

speakers are kenwood.  2 in the door, 2 in the rear deck and 2 tweeters on the dash.  my comparison is that my BMW has 9 speakers and 2-6in subs, all harmon pardon, and the sound is clear, crisp and rich.  In comparison, the honda sound is flat and tinny.  Sure, there's 6 speakers and a sub in the honda, so I get the unequal comparison.  I'm looking for a fuller, richer sound.  I'm also considering custom made door panels that would house another pair of speakers to improve the sound.  I guess I'm not sure if expensive focal speakers are worth the cash - or what.

If you're only interested in 8000 owners, feel free to ignore this, but I have a 4000NEX with the following setup:

Hybrid Audio Imagine 6.5" components up front

JL Audio 8W3-v3 8" sub in a sealed enclosure

JL XD/700/5 amp

I absolutely love my Hybrid Audio speakers, but I am tempted by the new Focal PS165FX components with the flax surround. Has anyone used these (or any other Focals)?

7000nex.rockford fosgate amp boston acoustic components jl 10" single sub. Very happy w sound. I agree that you will need an amp to get the most out of new speakers. Remember that underpowering speakers is as bad if not worse that overpowrring. You can turn down amp but if underpowered distortion will kill aftrrmarket speakers.

... I agree that you will need an amp to get the most out of new speakers. Remember that underpowering speakers is as bad if not worse that overpowrring. You can turn down amp but if underpowered distortion will kill aftrrmarket speakers.

Absolutely correct.

My A/V system components:

Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX head unit
Rockford Fosgate 360.2 processor
Lanzar OPTI250X4 4ch 2000Wrms amp
3 Lanzar OPTI4001D 4000Wrms sub amps
*2pr JBL 660GTi 6.5" component spkrs (front)
*4pr Pioneer Premier TS-D702P 6.5" 2-way spkrs (rear)
*12 Pioneer Premier TS-W2502D4 10" subs
Pioneer CD-VS33 A/V Switcher
NAXA NX550 13" LCD TV/DVD
Behringer AMP800 4ch Headphone Amp

I replaced the standard GM / Delco Bose in my 07 Vette with the 8000, aside from the obvious (BT, Camera Input, MP3 and everything else that the Delco can't do) it's just a solid unit but I've not replaced the speakers YET! I smell Infinity Reference door speakers in my extremely near future.