AVIC411.com

Crutchfield says NO to D3 in VWs

I have dug around on here and I beleive my question is answered in that I need a "sleeve" to install the D3 in a 2007 VW Passat Wagon. Anyway below is my experience this morning with Crutchfield.

I went online this morning to buy a D3 from Crutchfield and used their fit program and found that the D3 does not fit into my 2007 Passat Wagon. I found this bizarre as a few weeks back the program spit out that it would fit. I also remember on the Pioneer site that it would fit although it looks like Pioneer has taken down their fit chart. I then checked all the VW models on the Crutchfield site and none of them fit. I contacted Crutchfield and they told me that they have done some testing with aftermarket double DINS and found the D3 not to fit. I was told there was no way to secure it without modifying the dash. I did not push them as their response seemed generic. They did not offer any install kits as a remedy. Maybe they gave me that explanation because they are sold out. Who knows but how in the hell is everyone installing theirs? Thanks for any input.

Crutchfields site did the same for my 04 tacoma, they said it wouldn't fit. I ordered it anyways cause I knew it would fit and they told me to put "custom installation" in the comments box when I ordered. I installed it the other day and it fit like a glove. I have no idea why they say it won't fit. It bolted it just fine and the trim went on perfectly. I would get on a VW forum or maybe someone here with a car like yours can let you know for sure if it will fit or not.

Dan

Thanks for the input. I posted this on VW Vortex also. Yeah that is what they told me that it would have to be a custom install. There are couple of guys on here who have put them in VWs maybe they will see the post and respond with the parts they needed. It appears that all that is needed is a cage to put it in although Pioneer has not released any parts for the D3 yet. I do have some patience so maybe I will wait until the waters clear before getting mine.

yeah, they say it wont fit cause there is no actual kit, all you need is a d2 cage and trim plate, it takes very little modification to make it work. I probably have extra parts lying around. If you buy a d3 from me, i'll throw in the parts

can i just buy a sleeve from tweeter? i have an 06 vw rabbit and i currently have a 2 single din kenwood units installed right now (flip out screen and separate dvd player). i am going to be installing the d3 on friday so i am trying to figure out what i will need. since my factory radio has already been replaced most of the wiring should not be too bad. Will i need a new harness going from the kenoowd to the pioneer or are they pretty much universal. one of my friends that has done car stereo is comng to help but i told him i would get all the parts and i do not want to seem completely clueless when he comes over.