AVIC411.com

Any way to sort the POIs by distance?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

resurrecting a relatively older thread - but my unit appears to do just this

when i do a "vicinity search" - it gives me a list of everything by distance away from me

i just tested it out to make sure i wasnt mistaken - i clicked "vicinity search", then selected the poi's i wanted (in my test, i chose fast food chains and restaurants) - and clicked "ok" - it then listed all of the poi's in its database according to distance

starting with 0.1 miles, then a few with 0.3 miles, 0.6 miles, etc...

basically - it takes your current location, then lists the poi's nearest to you (in order of their distance - closest to furthest)

is that not how your models work?

resurrecting a relatively older thread - but my unit appears to do just this

when i do a "vicinity search" - it gives me a list of everything by distance away from me

i just tested it out to make sure i wasnt mistaken - i clicked "vicinity search", then selected the poi's i wanted (in my test, i chose fast food chains and restaurants) - and clicked "ok" - it then listed all of the poi's in its database according to distance

starting with 0.1 miles, then a few with 0.3 miles, 0.6 miles, etc...

basically - it takes your current location, then lists the poi's nearest to you (in order of their distance - closest to furthest)

is that not how your models work?

you are talking about "vicinity search". the thread is talking about "search POI". (the button next to "vicinity search").

you are talking about "vicinity search". the thread is talking about "search POI". (the button next to "vicinity search").

but within the vicinity search - you select the poi's you want (the EXACT same ones you find in the "search poi" menu) - and it sorts them by distance

to do what the op wants - instead of pushing "search poi", he/she should push "vicinity search" (the button next to "search poi") - and it will do the exact same thing

its silly to say the d3 doesnt sort poi's by distance when, in fact, it does - you just have to press a different button...

EDIT - in fact, i think the vicinity search is better because you can select multiple poi's to search (restaurants + fast food + restaurant chains = ALL eatery poi's sorted by distance from where you are at)

If I'm not mistaken, isn't vicinity search limited to 5 miles, however?

i believe that is correct - if youre looking for a poi more than 5 miles away, this particular method will not work

but if youre looking for poi's in the usual fashion, this method works just fine

its definitely not as good as a lot of nav units - but its definitely not amongst the worst

one of my main gripes with this unit deals with the address book - i have 2 cousins in milwaukee that just moved and another buddy that just moved to peoria illinois - these are two areas that im not very familiar with

i punched their addresses into the d3 and saved them using their names (ie - "steve's place", "marks house", etc)

it was after this that i noticed either you can store by the actual address (which is pointless in a nav unit - why would i want to store it as "123 main street milwaukee wi"?) OR by their names

so now, i have three places ive NEVER been to in my nav unit and the thing will take me all the way in front of the house - but why cant you store which address it is?

in my garmin unit, i could store: "steve's place" - and then in the next section itll store the entire address - THAT's helpful

oh well, i suppose its better than nothing - especially when youre lost in an unknown area - tons better than having to pull out an actual map, but definitely not the most advanced nav unit

garmin FTW!

To get around that, I do a POI search, type in the city I am in, then Home Depot and it will bring up the home depots in only that city

Jeez, even the GM factory Nav in my Corvette was better than this. Sometimes I want to punch in 'Home Depot' and see where the closest one is. If it's not within 5 miles, I don't think the D3 can do it. Booo.

It will list the address, not the name in destination history if you really want it that bad

its definitely not as good as a lot of nav units - but its definitely not amongst the worst

one of my main gripes with this unit deals with the address book - i have 2 cousins in milwaukee that just moved and another buddy that just moved to peoria illinois - these are two areas that im not very familiar with

i punched their addresses into the d3 and saved them using their names (ie - "steve's place", "marks house", etc)

it was after this that i noticed either you can store by the actual address (which is pointless in a nav unit - why would i want to store it as "123 main street milwaukee wi"?) OR by their names

so now, i have three places ive NEVER been to in my nav unit and the thing will take me all the way in front of the house - but why cant you store which address it is?

in my garmin unit, i could store: "steve's place" - and then in the next section itll store the entire address - THAT's helpful

oh well, i suppose its better than nothing - especially when youre lost in an unknown area - tons better than having to pull out an actual map, but definitely not the most advanced nav unit

garmin FTW!

Vicinity search will search 'categories' while POI search will search specific points of interest. When I want a coffee, I want it from Tim Hortons, not any old coffee place. I want to use POI to search for Tim Hortons, not Vicinity because Tim Hortons is not one of the options in Vicinity search.

I tried using POI search to try and find the 'nearest' Canadian Tire in a unfamiliar city we were in and it was useless. My wife pulled out her portable Garmin GPS V and we used that to find what we were looking for.

I emailed Pioneer with sorting POI's by distance suggestion when I first got my AvicD1. I was hoping it is a feature they could build in with a future firmware upgrade/map release. They seem totally disinterested.