AVIC411.com

06 Ford Explorer install Questions

goto CircuitCity and pick up the "Metra" install kit

The only other thing you're gonna have to do is install a 4k7 or so resistor between the grey wires on the small connector (it will stop your amp from turning on hard) and popping the subs on powerup

Oh yeah, the other thing you're gonna need to get hold of is a 6mm .8 pitch bolt (cut the head off the bolt) and use the existing nipple from the back of your stereo to hang the rear of the Avic into the orifice of your car

Andy
Probably not..... BUT if you got the interface from Crutchfield, it should come with 2 separate connectors... the small one contains to 2 grey wires, if (wen you take your existing radio out) you have that connector pluged into the back of your existing radio, it may be pre-wired for the sub scenario even if speakers aren't currently installed.
Not on an 06 Explorer (I would expect it to be similar to my Mustang BUT) you know what these manufacturers are like... everything is different between models... Mine is in the main ecu connector at the front of the engine (pain to run the cable) BUT I was lucky having already installed 06 Pony Upgrade fogs. I have a nice place to hide my pink wire in some conduit that I used to do that install.
[quote name="jmoney715"]awesome, thanks. Would you happen to know where my speed sensor wire is?[/quote]

If your factory stereo has speed sensitive volume, (it probably does...read your owner's manual) there will be a VSS wire right at the stereo itself. I believe it was a GY/BK wire on the Aviator. See if you can get someone with a wiring diagram manual to look at the connector view for your radio. It will show exactly what wire it is and what color along with the exact pin location.
I don't have the 06 wiring diagrams available to me. You really need to get your hands on that. Go to the same radio diagram that you have in the car, look up the connector numbers on the diagrams, then go to the connectors views. It will tell you just what wire is to what circuit, what the pin number is, and the color code of the wire. Your 06 could very well have a different color code. But before you go that far, read your owner's manual and make sure the radio in your Explorer has speed sensitive volume. I'm betting it does... If so, the VSS wire is how they sense the need for volume change and the wire will be to the radio. Alternatively, your speedo will use the VSS wire too. You will find that feed in your instrument cluster connector. Again, a wiring diagram will be needed to ensure you get the proper wire.
ok, so... before i do anything, i actually do have a gray/blk wire. BUT... it isnt located in the stock wire harness for the radio. I have the a gray/blk wire for the "info" button that came with the vehicle.. the info button has a "gas economy" section where it tells you how much gas you are using, up means your getting more gas per gallon and down means your getting less gas per gallon.. im assuming that it uses your speed to sense this? what do you guys think?
For what its worth....I have a 04 F-150 and the wire is grey with a black stripe. Its in the trucks wiring harness. I just tapped directly into it with the pink wire. Its wasnt on the metra wiring harness but the truck harness that attached to my old HU.
[quote name="jmoney715"]well guys, since i still cant find the VSS wire and i know for sure its there because i have the speed senstive option in my factory radio, should i just try and tap into every wire that isnt used and see what happens? or is that stupid?[/quote]

Stupid? I wouldn't say stupid, but I don't think that would be my first choice. I would do some more research and see if I could find a wiring diagram before I resorted to something like that.