AVIC411.com

I have a Z1 installed in a 2006 camry. It was correctly and professionally installed. After a few months the car started downshifting at odd times like while driving at 65mph. After multiple diagnostic trips to the installer and toyota dealers it was decided it was the VSS connection from the Z1. Sure enough the weird shifting (it is an automatic) stopped as soon as the VSS wire was disconnected. But the unit is definately less accurate now. My question is--does anyone know of a device (capacitor, resisitor, etc) I can install between the VSS wire of the Z1 and my car to solve this problem? Thanks.

the connection probably broke the wire almost all the way through. the vss wire from the avic only reads, it does not put out. so it wouldnt interfere with the car. try reconnecting it, and make sure its a good clean connection

For what it's worth, a quick Goggle got me these two references:

From this site:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6265&highlight=camry

2004 Camry AVIC installation notes...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23214

and

VSS on purple/white wire at clock...

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~81348~PN~2

Check your installed VSS wire against the above. Curiosity beacons, so please advise your findings...[/url]

Thank you for the links-they help. But the VSS wire was correctly hooked up when the erratic shifting occured. It stopped as soon as it was disconnected. I realize it should only work one way but there must be some feedback on the VSS sensor in the Z1. Is there some type of limiter I can place between the Z1 and the VSS wire in the car?

You could always try a diode...but I'm willing to bet the farm feedback isn't your problem. I would look for another source for the VSS wire. If you find one...and the problem still occurs, send your nav unit back to pioneer for warranty. It has to be a problem inside.

You have looked VERY carefully on your wire lead for the nav unit to make absolutely sure it's not shorted anywhere, right? The VSS signal is VERY "delicate". Trace every inch of the wire and make sure it isn't pinched anywhere. Where you're not having any vehicle issues with the unit disconnected, I would be more apt to believe that is the problem more than a bad connection where you plug it in. Or the nav unit is bad.

The VSS wire is just a pulse and the Z1 is just supposed to count pulses. You don't want anything in there. If you need a diode in the line then there is something wrong with the Z1. Don't put anything in there. I'm sure pioneer did their homework with the types and kinds of vehicles and the protection of that wire to the rest of the electronics in the car are much better than any of us could just "stick in there" and we might even mess stuff up if we are not careful.

If there is something wrong with the car when the Z1 is hooked up, either the car is not compatible with the Z1 (which I don't think is the case) or there is something wrong with the Z1 (possible) or there is a problem with the wiring. It's possible that there is a short between the VSS wire and something else (when the Z1 is hooked up) either through harness and wires or the Z1 itself.

The only real way to know what's going on is to hook a scope to is and drive around. Watching what the VSS wire looks like hooked up and not.

I'd be a little worried about just sticking a diode in there or something, but I guess it's something to try if you don't have access to a scope or don't want to bother troubleshooting what's really going on. I think that actually might work but not find the problem, it sounds like a bandaid to me unless the Z1 is not compatible with the VSS wire in your vehicle.

If you want to try a diode in there, get a 914

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062576

and put the black band towards the Z1 and the other end on the VSS wire and see if the car makes any weird shifting. This is "in line". Take the VSS wire you had going to the Z1, cut it and stick this in the line with the black band on the Z1 side.

But I still think this is a bandaid of a bigger issue (wrong VSS wire or Z1 problem). But it's cheap and easy to try.

Wow thank you Ducati boy. You are always a wealth of information. Is it possible my installer hooked up the VSS to the wrong wire? When it was hooked up I got a correct reading by the Z1 on the VSS pulse and he is very familiar with pioneer and toyota. Right now it is disconnected and I have no shifting problems. But it is more accurate when it is hooked up.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a Z-2 installed in my "04 Thunderbird about five weeks ago. The installer had trouble finding were to connect the speed pulse wire. After two additional trips to the shop he assured me that he finally solved the problem. I have discovered that my speed pulse numbers are not growing and when I go to Connections Screen while driving the speed is "O".

I really need to find a source for information on where to connect the speed pulse wire. The '04 Thunderbird is very likely the same as a Lincoln LS since they are basically the same car with different bodies.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I had a Z-2 installed in my "04 Thunderbird about five weeks ago. The installer had trouble finding were to connect the speed pulse wire. After two additional trips to the shop he assured me that he finally solved the problem. I have discovered that my speed pulse numbers are not growing and when I go to Connections Screen while driving the speed is "O".

I really need to find a source for information on where to connect the speed pulse wire. The '04 Thunderbird is very likely the same as a Lincoln LS since they are basically the same car with different bodies.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

YOu have to go to a wheel speed snesor to get vss in that car. In the future, there is a forum specifically for wiring information requests.

What is the VSS wire used for? I didn't connect this when my Z2 went in and everything seems to work fine. Even the speedo on the "dash screen" seems to be showing the correct speed. It match my speedo.

It allows your Z2 to have a more accurate speed reading by using the same sensor that your speedometer uses. It will also let your Z2 know how fast you are moving when there is no sat signal (i.e in a tunnel or garage).