AVIC411.com

D3 Install in an 07 Jetta Wolfsburg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup all of it myself. So far the bluetooth works great with my LG EnV from Verizon. It gives battery life, signal strength, and you can control the bluetooth audio since the EnV supports both protocols for audio. (AVCVR and A2DP) Although, the phonebook cards had to be sent one by one, but other than that it's been flawless. The XM rules so far as does the iPod interface. Also, the speed pulse given by the CARP adapter harness is dead on. The speedometer under vehicle diagnostics is neck and neck with the actual speed of the car. I have only driven it a little more than a mile so far and the thing is already out of learning mode.

As for the GPS and XM antenna placement, I installed them on the metal bar inside the dash and I get 6-7 out of 8 satellites and strong XM reception.

Not bad considering it was my first install since I got my license a year ago. The most difficult parts were taking off the door sills, trying not to break any clips, and running the subwoofer interconnects/turnon lead into the dash. I'm proud of myself since I did not break any clips/trim, no lost or extra screws, and no scuffed or scraped dash panels.

I'm about to install a D3 in my '06 Jetta. Sorry for all the questions, but you did a great job and this will be a big help to a lot of us.

Which dash kit did you use? It looks like it matches the factory color and texture, does it?

What is the CARP, and where do you get it? Is it required for speed pulse, or can you use the white/purple wire behind the dash?

Which wiring harness did you use? Did it require you to splice into any of the factory wires? Are you using the factory amps and speakers?

Thanks, and great work!

Get the Scosche dash kit, it fits perfect AND has the proper factory smooth texture, unlike the BestKits dash kit for the GTi which is rough.

The Scosche dash kit can be found here at Sonix: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8186_Scosche+VW2317B+-+VW2317.html

VW2317B.jpg

Also the antenna adapter can be found here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4440_Scosche+VWA3+-+VWA3B.html

And most importantly, the wiring harness. As you may or may not know, our VWs do NOT have a switched 12v ACC line in the stock harness, nor does it have the orange Illumination wire that dims the head unit when the head lights are on. This means that those ordinary harnesses for VWs will not give us the 12v switched line or illumination. Also, to get the VSS wire for the GPS (And with the AVICs it is important to have this connected to get the most accurate positioning) you can not tap a VSS wire behind the gauge cluster in many 06s and all 07s. That means in order to get the most out of your AVIC, you gotta buy the Pioneer CA-R-PI.221 VW/Seat/Skoda Steering Wheel Remote Adaptor. I got mine in the mail yesterday from Incarexpress in the UK. This adaptor is not sold anywhere in the US right now so I had to import it. Check it out here: http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CARPI221

You can not use their online ordering to order internationally, so just email them at sales@incarexpress.co.uk . It costs about 54 pounds shipped. That's $109US. Totally worth it. This harness gives you speed pulse wire, 12V ACC, illumination, REVERSE, AND full steering wheel controls for Pioneer head units and VWs. NO SPLICING OF ANY FACTORY WIRING. Tell them what you want, give them your shipping info, you want it standard airmail, and make sure you open up a free Google checkout account in order to pay them. It took two weeks from emailing them to getting it to my door. The item was back ordered and did not ship out until last Wednesday. Their communication was EXCELLENT and it took four business days to get from england to New Jersey. Do yourself a favor and get this adapter. It will save you from having to cut and run wires to your headlight switch for illumination, your car's computer/tail lights for reverse signal, your cigarette lighter for 12v switched, and gives you the VSS signal which is quite important.

Basically, it's like this, if your not installing a subwoofer and you are getting this adapter, you will not have to splice into a single factory wire or rip apart the whole dash. You just take out the 7 torx20 screws, plug in the nav system, mount the gps ant and your done.

I am using the factory speakers powered by the AVIC and they sound incredible. As for the wiring, all you need is the CARP, when you get it, chop the smaller brown and black ends off and just match them up to the colors on the AVIC's wiring harness.

I just received my CARPI221 harness from them too, but what did you do about the ISO connectors (one for power, one for speakers) that are suppose to fit perfectly for the europe car audio market?

I know I can cut the harness and splice them in, but I want to see how you did it.

I just received my CARPI221 harness from them too, but what did you do about the ISO connectors (one for power, one for speakers) that are suppose to fit perfectly for the europe car audio market?

I know I can cut the harness and splice them in, but I want to see how you did it.

I just cut the black and brown connectors off. The rest of the wires are all stardard ISO colors that match up to the AVIC harness. The only difference is that the ground wire is brown instead of black. Also, the purple wire is reverse and the Blue/Black striped wire is the VSS. Illumination is orange, yadda yadda.

Here's a link to a PDF of the VW standard wiring harness:

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/VW-Wiring.pdf

Also, an extra tip, make note of the purple reverse wire that is in the black connector and put a piece of tape or something on it. That way once you cut the connectors off, you won't get it confused with the purple wire for the right rear speaker's positive connection.

• 1 month later...

Do you have to hook up to the ignition wire also?

Thats what the audio shop guy told me when I tried to get them to lower their quote. (said the ignition wire isn't behind the audio):?

So if I want to do this myself,

D3

Scosche dash kit

antenna adapter

CA-R-PI.221 VW/Seat/Skoda Steering Wheel Remote Adaptor

Are those four things all that I need?

Also, is the bypass method different for CA-R-PI.221?

I've never done anything like this before. Do you guys think this is something I can take on?

Sorry for all those questions but I'll appreciate every reply!

• 2 weeks later...

alright now im confused... i have a D1 in my 06 VW now... lets say i remove it, and assume i've never seen any of the crap that sits in that hole in the dash... i've read that all i need to do is cut the connector off of the harness that went into the D1 and mach up the wires to the harness that goes into the D3 (please correct me if im wrong)

so i guess im unsure how the carp fits into the mix... thanks for any help you guys can provide...

anyone live in the california bay area care to install into an 06 vw GLI ? lol there'll be a twelver in it for ya or know of a good install place ? haha

I just cut the black and brown connectors off. The rest of the wires are all stardard ISO colors that match up to the AVIC harness. The only difference is that the ground wire is brown instead of black. Also, the purple wire is reverse and the Blue/Black striped wire is the VSS. Illumination is orange, yadda yadda.

Here's a link to a PDF of the VW standard wiring harness:

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/VW-Wiring.pdf

Also, an extra tip, make note of the purple reverse wire that is in the black connector and put a piece of tape or something on it. That way once you cut the connectors off, you won't get it confused with the purple wire for the right rear speaker's positive connection.

What do you mean by matching them up? do you mean splicing?

• 2 months later...