AVIC411.com

Z1/Z2 HDD Replacement Trial and Error Thread

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm...this ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822149048 ) is the drive you guys are referring to, right? $53.99

They also have the 80GB version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 822149040R

It says open box though. $57.75.

Kuj,

Yep. Go for the 60g drive. I have the 40 and it's performing flawlessly. Much faster than the stock drive.

Kuj,

Yep. Go for the 60g drive. I have the 40 and it's performing flawlessly. Much faster than the stock drive.

How much faster? I just purchased the Z2X package from crutchfield and it will be delivered monday. Do you think it will have the latest maps or maybe even a newer/faster hard drive? How will I know if it has the latest maps?

It will have the factory 30gb 4200 RPM Toshiba drive, and it will have the Z2 software and maps (2007 vs 2008).

All Z2's ship with the same hard drive and maps. All Z3's ship with the new software, maps, and a 40gb drive (only partitioned to use 30gb though).

Kuj,

How much faster? I just purchased the Z2X package from crutchfield and it will be delivered monday. Do you think it will have the latest maps or maybe even a newer/faster hard drive? How will I know if it has the latest maps?

To be quite honest, the speed is noticed mostly upon startup (for me at least). With the stock drive I used to start the truck and get to the end of the street (15 houses down) before the dvd would kick in or th elibrary music would start. Now it's about 1/3 that distance.

It's not mind blowing speed difference, but you can tell it's quicker. Latest maps (2008) can be found here along with instructions on how to load. At first it looks intimidating, but just follow the road map and take your time and it will be well worth it.

If you end up getting the new drive, I'd suggest putting the 2008 maps on that first. Do the security disable and unlock as well. Get your practice on the spare drive before you go messing with the stock one.

Later,

B-F 8)

Hello,

I was reading thru the forum and noticed that there is no need for drive unlocking if the drive is new. Reading this forum it states to disable security with MHDD. http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728, Then you need to unlock the drive.

But in other postings it says you don't need to if the drive is new.

What I did thus far is use the MHDD tool and disabled the security feature, then I used Acronis true image to place the Z3 image on the drive. Is there anything else i need to do before place back into my vehicle?

Can some pls clarify this for me?

Thanks, G

Hello,

I was reading thru the forum and noticed that there is no need for drive unlocking if the drive is new. Reading this forum it states to disable security with MHDD. http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728, Then you need to unlock the drive.

What I did thus far is use the MHDD tool and disabled the security feature, then I used Acronis true image to place the Z3 image on the drive. Is there anything else i need to do before place back into my vehicle?

Thanks, G

If you don't disable the security of your new drive, it will be locked as soon as you insert it in the Z and power the unit up.

Hello,

Thanks, G

G, You're good to go :!:

If you're working with a brand new drive (not the drive that came with your Z), then all you need to do is what you did; use MHDD and disable the security on the drive.

Now when you insert that new drive into the Z, the Z cannot lock it.

Unlocking and disabling security are two totally different procedures. In a nutshell:

Stock drive has security feature enabled. Because security is enabled, the Z locks the drive. If you want to disable the security featur, you have to unlcok the drive and then remove the security feature.

Aftermarket drive (brand new) has security feature enabled. Since it hasn't met the Z yet, it's still unlocked. All you need to do is disable the security and now when it gets inserted into the Z, it cannot be locked.

Hope that helps some 8)

Hello,

Thanks, G

G, You're good to go :!:

If you're working with a brand new drive (not the drive that came with your Z), then all you need to do is what you did; use MHDD and disable the security on the drive.

Now when you insert that new drive into the Z, the Z cannot lock it.

Unlocking and disabling security are two totally different procedures. In a nutshell:

Stock drive has security feature enabled. Because security is enabled, the Z locks the drive. If you want to disable the security featur, you have to unlcok the drive and then remove the security feature.

Aftermarket drive (brand new) has security feature enabled. Since it hasn't met the Z yet, it's still unlocked. All you need to do is disable the security and now when it gets inserted into the Z, it cannot be locked.

Hope that helps some 8)

big-fokker couldn't said it clearier. You are good to go.

Best