AVIC411.com

Z1/Z2 HDD Replacement Trial and Error Thread

Thanks for the info Agro. I wasn't aware of the limits on artists ect.

I am still trying to read and learn as much as I can.

I really love my z1, but I want to get the new maps and upgrade to a z2, and while I'm at it, would like to make the drive bigger for music. but I guess that is limited. :cry:

So what would you reccomend for hard drive size? The 60 gig?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are ways around the artist/album thing, if you want to tweak things. Like you could start combining stuff together, etc. Honestly I am just too damn lazy and want it to be easy.

The 60GB with about 50GB free space should give you more than you need to fill up those artist/album limitations. Maybe someday Pioneer or someone else will know how to bypass that and increase them. Then at that point I think we'd look to a bigger drive. IF the bigger drive worked without the restarts AND was faster then I would say that is the way to go, but if it has the same specs, I personally wouldn't waste the extra money for no benefit and also take on the risk of the drive possibly not even working.

I for one placed an order on Saturday for the 60GB Toshiba & 2.5" to 3.5" adapter from Newegg.com They sent me my tracking number tonight, should have it by Thursday. I figure, more space, faster and about the same as paying the unlock code for my 30GB Z1 drive, right? why not!

There are ways around the artist/album thing, if you want to tweak things. Like you could start combining stuff together, etc. Honestly I am just too damn lazy and want it to be easy.

The 60GB with about 50GB free space should give you more than you need to fill up those artist/album limitations. Maybe someday Pioneer or someone else will know how to bypass that and increase them. Then at that point I think we'd look to a bigger drive. IF the bigger drive worked without the restarts AND was faster then I would say that is the way to go, but if it has the same specs, I personally wouldn't waste the extra money for no benefit and also take on the risk of the drive possibly not even working.

I for one placed an order on Saturday for the 60GB Toshiba & 2.5" to 3.5" adapter from Newegg.com They sent me my tracking number tonight, should have it by Thursday. I figure, more space, faster and about the same as paying the unlock code for my 30GB Z1 drive, right? why not!

Well thanks for your advice. I will probably get the 60 gig, and see how it goes.

Would anyone be interested in selling me a new hard drive (mk8032 gax) with the Z2 info already on it. I have a Z2 that only works about 25% of the time due to the Houston heat. I would pay for the time and equipment to get this done for me. Or, is there a very simple way to down load this info directly to a new hard drive and then just replace the stock hard drive. I dont mean to sound lazy or stupid but this is not my expertice.

A big thanks to this thread for helping me avoid the hit or miss drive shoot. I purchased a Toshiba MK6034GAX from newegg and it works great. No reboots and noticeably faster than my Z1 drive.

Imaged and expanded the partitions and now have a fully functional Z2 in Z1 hardware. The added space seems to have showed up, but I usually use an Ipod and haven't had time to upload many CDs.

Anyway, can't thank everyone enough to help me from blowing money on a drive that wouldn't work like stock.

NYMETRANGER: PM me maybe we can work something out if your local. I don't know about the legal implications of that sort of thing. I'm on the island.

Has anyone replaced their HDD and had it cure the "freezing on startup" issue? Or the skipping through tracks in the library problem? I was thinking of trying to remote mount my stock drive, but if I could just spend $80 and get a new drive I'd prefer to do that.

I was having the freezing on start-up and the library skipping problem. I bought the 60 gig toshiba drive and have not had one freeze-up yet! (Now I just jinxed myself)...

This is on a Z2.

Jason