AVIC411.com

Z1/Z2 HDD Replacement Trial and Error Thread

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This drive will handle the beating that a car installation will put on a hard drive. The drive is Hitachi Endurastar Extreme Environment Hard Drive, it is available in 30gig now and should be available soon in 40gig and 50gig. It is not cheap. The J4K model will handle temperatures between Operating -20 ~ 85°C; Non-operating -40 ~ 85°C.

Hitachi DK23EA-30 30GB 4200 rpm ... Full day with this HDD and no problems at all .. radio, dvd, bluetooth ipod etc.. Not one reboot.

Look like we should start the search for this hdd. Go Ebay :)

Why would I want to buy a drive that's exactly the same as the original.... IMO the point of replacing the drive is to get something faster and/or with more storage. For the price of what that drive costs you can just pay $5 and wipe your HDD clean and install the Z2 image.

Hitachi DK23EA-30 30GB 4200 rpm ... Full day with this HDD and no problems at all .. radio, dvd, bluetooth ipod etc.. Not one reboot.

Look like we should start the search for this hdd. Go Ebay :)

Why would I want to buy a drive that's exactly the same as the original.... IMO the point of replacing the drive is to get something faster and/or with more storage. For the price of what that drive costs you can just pay $5 and wipe your HDD clean and install the Z2 image.

Agree. What did I think? :?:

Rage: I got a backup image from my Z1 -- so it's not a fresh image but if you want it I could upload it somewhere if you would like..

dodgeboy: is that toshiba drive running the Z2 image?

You got PM!

As soon as I get the image, I'll do some testing on the Z1 image on a few drives to get a better idea of what's going on.

BTW - noticed you're in Canada... which part?

Rage: I got a backup image from my Z1 -- so it's not a fresh image but if you want it I could upload it somewhere if you would like..

You got PM!

As soon as I get the image, I'll do some testing on the Z1 image on a few drives to get a better idea of what's going on.

BTW - noticed you're in Canada... which part?

ok sounds good! I'll rar and start the UL tonight.

It sounds like 1 or 2 people have got the z2 image working on certain drives -- so it will be interesting to see what happens with the z1 image.

I'm in Ontario -- Toronto area...

ok sounds good! I'll rar and start the UL tonight.

It sounds like 1 or 2 people have got the z2 image working on certain drives -- so it will be interesting to see what happens with the z1 image.

I'm in Ontario -- Toronto area...

Sweet thanks! As soon as I get the image, I'll do some extensive testing on the 7200rpm drive with the image... I figure if it's a power issue, it'll manifest itself fairly quickly. Since people haven't heard of random reboots with Z1, I'm kinda curious if Pioneer implemented some sort of a security update to lock out non Pioneer approved drives by doing random checks and rebooting if it fails the check.

Oh ya, I'm in Calgary.

Yes... It's running the bypassed Z2 image. Tomorrow should be a pretty good test, as I will be doing quite a bit of driving. So far it seems far more reliable than my Hitachi test drive. The Hitachi drive would power up and boot when the stock drive would not (heat), but the Hitachi drive rebooted. So far no reboots with the Toshiba 60GB. I expanded the music partition to 37GB as well.

Dave

Also, in response to some of your posts: The primary reason I replaced the drive was to fix the freezing on boot-up issue. The stock drive seems to tolerate very little heat. I don't care about expanding the library size (although I did anyway). We all have our reasons for upgrading. Hopefully the Toshibas are the answer to fixing the reboot issue.

Dave

Well, the unit still hasn't rebooted with the Toshiba MK6034GAX HDD. I put 2-3 hours of driving on it today, and no reboots. It was also very hot when I got in my car after work, and it started up just fine.

I don't consider myself out of the woods just yet, but after a few more days of no reboots I'll be very satisfied.

Dave

Toshiba MK8032GAX

No reboots in 2 weeks, over 3000 miles.

It has been over 100F here, as well. No freezing, not any heat issue at all.

I used Ghost to do a drive copy, using the "Image All" option, which copies even unpartitioned space. Maybe you guys should also discuss imaging tools that you use. It's my belief that the image write/rewrite is part of the problem.