AVIC411.com

Z1/Z2 HDD Replacement Trial and Error Thread

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes these are interesting results so far.. i'm anxiously awaiting the rest as well. For now I'm running on the stock drive -- but if we find a great 7200rpm drive that works (preferably with the same temperature rating specs) -- then I'm all for upgrading! :)

Today my Z1 would power on, it would show the Pioneer logo, i had XM sound, but it wouldnt get out of that screen and go to the nav. I drove for 20 minutes until my car was cool inside. (indicated 101 when i got IN the car, then 30 seconds later 91 outside temp). As I was driving down the street (nobody around) killed the car for about 5 seconds, turned it on and kept driving. Nav powered up fine. Temperature?

Well a bit of bad news... here are the current results:

Seagate ST910021A 2.6W max - reboots within 15 minutes.

Seagate ST9100823A 2.3W max - reboots within 1 hour.

Toshiba MK4025GAS 2.6W max - no reboots

Toshiba MK4019GAX 2.9W max - currently testing

Fujitsu MHT2060AT 2.3W max -

Seagate ST9160821A 2.0W max -

The Toshiba MK4025GAS, at 2.6W seek, is as heavy of a power user as the Seagate 7200rpm. No reboots at all for 2 days of driving (about 2-3 hrs worth). I dug around more around the office and found 2 more drives, a Toshiba with 2.9W draw, and the latest Seagate 5400rpm (as fast as some 7200rpm drives) which only draws 2.0W. If the Toshiba works and the Seagate doesn't, that's bad news, as it would mean we can only use Toshiba drives. Toshiba does not make any PATA 7200rpm drives. Their new 7200rpm line is SATA only which doesn't help us at all.

To be continued...

For all you bargain hunters out there:

The 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapters are on sale at NewEgg for $1.99!!!

Rosewill RCW-603 Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter - Retail

Item #: N82E16812119020

I purchased one of these as well for $48.99

TOSHIBA HDD2D17 (MK6034GAX) 60GB 5400 RPM ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

Item #: N82E16822149041

Combined shipping and handling was 7 bucks.

I didn't want to take the chance on turning my recently installed X1 (soon to be an X2) into a paperweight.

Now if I can just get the darn files to download without monitoring.

Hope this helps.

Richard

I just purchased the exact same setup from Newegg. I actually bought two of the adapters because I have a Z2 and was hoping just to back it up onto the new drive.

My main thing was the heat issue and the lock ups on startup. I ended up having to back up the Z2 onto my desktop hdd and then restore it on the new drive.

Crossing my fingers, it only has been a day, but it has been really hot here in So. Cal and my unit was locking up everday when I would leave work. Yesterday, the drive booted right up no problem.

I also increased the music partition to 20 gigs.. I was only using about 2 gigs before, but I thought I might as well increase it while I have it all out.

Also, be real careful with that adapter. It fits so snug in the IDE cable that it is really easy to bend the pins when you pull it out.

Jason

For all you bargain hunters out there:

The 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapters are on sale at NewEgg for $1.99!!!

Rosewill RCW-603 Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter - Retail

Item #: N82E16812119020

I purchased one of these as well for $48.99

TOSHIBA HDD2D17 (MK6034GAX) 60GB 5400 RPM ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

Item #: N82E16822149041

Combined shipping and handling was 7 bucks.

I didn't want to take the chance on turning my recently installed X1 (soon to be an X2) into a paperweight.

Now if I can just get the darn files to download without monitoring.

Hope this helps.

Richard

I currently don't use ANY of my music partition. However, I have in the past put a CD on it and seen how much more responsive it is over the iPod interface. So maybe with more space I might invest in some CD-RW and just burn a ton of music.

With that said, the other reasons I would consider upgrading are...

1. I want to do the Z1 -> Z2 image update. It would be nice to keep the original Z1 hard-disk. I am not sure if it is even possible to put it back in the Z1 after it becomes a Z2 though.

2. Speed!

The stock drive is 4200rpm right? So I would love to see faster response on the NAV.

If at some point someone finds an even faster than the drive listed above from NewEgg, man I would even be down for that.

I too have encountered the heat issue in SoCal. Today and yesterday my nav wouldnt POST. I had to wait till my car was cold inside (a/c) and then power off/on my car.

I finally got around to expanding the music partition on the Z2 image running on the Toshiba 60gb drive, and everything is working flawlessly.

I orignally imaged the 60gb, but left all the unused space as unallocated. I then began the process of ripping the cd's. I made it to 179 albums covering 155 artist before I filled the initial 10gb music partition. After expanding the music partition to use all the unallocated space (40 gb total), I am now only 25% full, and I have been able to start adding cds again (up to 400 albums or 400 artists). I decided to do this because the hdd is much faster than the ipod interface...

I started using cd-rw discs, but it was a pain having to erase them. I decided to pick up some 100 packs of cd-r from Circuit City for $8.99 ea. Can't beat .09 per disc :)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/NexxTech ... tDetail.do

I've honestly never burned a RW disc in my life. I always have bought CD-R and just throw them away. I didn't know the process included having to 'erase' them. "F" that. I agree with the spindle.

I suppose one issue I have is that all my music is in iTunes. While I can browse the folder structure (../Artist/Album/Song.mp3) I don't have the original CD's. So this might not work perfectly then, because GraceNote won't know about my songs/artists/etc. , right? Hrmmm

I finally got around to expanding the music partition on the Z2 image running on the Toshiba 60gb drive, and everything is working flawlessly.

I orignally imaged the 60gb, but left all the unused space as unallocated. I then began the process of ripping the cd's. I made it to 179 albums covering 155 artist before I filled the initial 10gb music partition. After expanding the music partition to use all the unallocated space (40 gb total), I am now only 25% full, and I have been able to start adding cds again (up to 400 albums or 400 artists). I decided to do this because the hdd is much faster than the ipod interface...

I started using cd-rw discs, but it was a pain having to erase them. I decided to pick up some 100 packs of cd-r from Circuit City for $8.99 ea. Can't beat .09 per disc :)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/NexxTech ... tDetail.do

You do not need Gracenotes if you use a burning software that supports cd-text. WMP does not support this. I know that Nero does support cd-text. It will pull the song name from the MP3 tag, and you will only have to type the album title and artist. I use this for any album that Gracenotes is not able to decipher.

I've figured out the pattern.... doing one more test to confirm. Suffice to say, I'm pretty sure that we can ONLY use Toshiba drives at this point.

Results:

Seagate ST910021A 2.6W max - reboots within 1 hour. After first reboot every 15 mins.

Seagate ST9100823A 2.3W max - reboots within 1 hour. After first reboot every 15 mins.

Seagate ST9160821A 2.0W max - reboots within 1 hour. After first reboot every 15 mins.

Toshiba MK4019GAX 2.9W max - no reboots

Fujitsu MHT2060AT 2.3W max - currently testing

As posted above, the MK6034GAX looks to have had success too....

I've figured out the pattern.... doing one more test to confirm. Suffice to say, I'm pretty sure that we can ONLY use Toshiba drives at this point.

Results:

Seagate ST910021A 2.6W max - reboots within 1 hour. After first reboot every 15 mins.

Seagate ST9100823A 2.3W max - reboots within 1 hour. After first reboot every 15 mins.

Seagate ST9160821A 2.0W max - reboots within 1 hour. After first reboot every 15 mins.

Toshiba MK4019GAX 2.9W max - no reboots

Fujitsu MHT2060AT 2.3W max - currently testing

As posted above, the MK6034GAX looks to have had success too....

At this point, I believe any Toshiba drive will work. There's definately a HDD type check in the firmware to ensure only Toshiba drives are used.

Some of you guys have access to test all these drives, I don't. So if I saw there was a 5400 80GB toshiba with exactly the same specs as the others, I wouldn't want to take the risk in purchasing it. I really rely on you guys testing them, and I *do* appreciate it.

I think I am going to go the route of getting a new drive, restoring the Z2 image to it, rather then unlocking my 30gb and then restoring the Z2...

Now I just need to find the damn image. It is supposed to be on the newsgroups but ah well... anyhow, back to the topic.

I also really appreciate all the work you guys put in on testing theses drives.

I was thinking about getting a 120 gig toshiba drive, because i would like to have a lot of music on my system. Does anyone think this would be too big?

I was checking out this one from newegg because the specs seem to be the same as the toshiba drives that people are using without reboots.

TOSHIBA 120GB 2.5" ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

120GB

5400 RPM 8MB Cache

ATA-6

$70.99

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I also really appreciate all the work you guys put in on testing theses drives.

I was thinking about getting a 120 gig toshiba drive, because i would like to have a lot of music on my system. Does anyone think this would be too big?

I was checking out this one from newegg because the specs seem to be the same as the toshiba drives that people are using without reboots.

TOSHIBA 120GB 2.5" ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

120GB

5400 RPM 8MB Cache

ATA-6

$70.99

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMHO chances are good that drive will work.

Still, your limitations of the Z1/Z2 will hold you back with the what... 400 artists, 1000 albums? I forget... So with 110GB extra, what will you do with it? Also the possibility you'll drop the $70 bucks and find out it won't work. Good luck.