AVIC411.com

Z1/Z2 HDD Replacement Trial and Error Thread

Hi Guys....

I looked all over the forum and I didn't see any cons or pross for MK1032GAX 100GB Toshiba. Originally I didn't want this 100GB size but I found one with a very good price. Also in Toronto and surroundings is very tough to find one in any size.

P.s Mazdaspeed thanks a lot for willing to help..I was away for a while...but I'll get back to you asking 4 help again... :roll::roll:

Thanks in advance 4 any reply..

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you find them?

Well it's physically impossible find a MK6034GAX now.

So have people really had success with the MK8034GAX? I thought the biggest it could handle was 60 GB. Are people really using the 80 GB without reboot problems?

What about the fact the MK8034GAX is SATA and not ATA?

Has anyone tried the Toshiba MK8026GAX or MK8032GAX?

EDIT: Nevermind, found some MK6034 hard drives. Sure it'd be nice to go bigger but I want to stick with what is working right now. Is it possible to throw videos onto the hard drive while I have it connected to the computer to put the z2 image on it?

Duke

Anyone try a Seagate ST98823A? I have one laying around and wouldn't mind putting it in my z2. Thanks!

Well a bit of bad news... here are the current results:

Seagate ST910021A 2.6W max - reboots within 15 minutes.

Seagate ST9100823A 2.3W max - reboots within 1 hour.

Toshiba MK4025GAS 2.6W max - no reboots

Toshiba MK4019GAX 2.9W max - currently testing

Fujitsu MHT2060AT 2.3W max -

Seagate ST9160821A 2.0W max -

The Toshiba MK4025GAS, at 2.6W seek, is as heavy of a power user as the Seagate 7200rpm. No reboots at all for 2 days of driving (about 2-3 hrs worth). I dug around more around the office and found 2 more drives, a Toshiba with 2.9W draw, and the latest Seagate 5400rpm (as fast as some 7200rpm drives) which only draws 2.0W. If the Toshiba works and the Seagate doesn't, that's bad news, as it would mean we can only use Toshiba drives. Toshiba does not make any PATA 7200rpm drives. Their new 7200rpm line is SATA only which doesn't help us at all.

To be continued...

:o
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump for the question above....

The 2 popular hd choices from a few months ago the Toshiba MK8032GAX and the MK6034GAX both are not offered at Newegg. And it's really hard to find NEW Toshiba drive using PATA and not SATA...

Ordered a MK8032GAX on ebay and they sent me a Samsung Spinpoint HM080GC instead... Although the drive is new and works, i don't know if it will work in my Z1... I complained and they gave me thirty days to test and return for a full refund, so I guess I'll try it...

Has anyone come up with alternatives that won't freeze/reboot?

• 2 months later...
I'm going to be getting a Sandisk flash drive, 32G for testing. No moving parts, much lower power draw, that should help confirm if it's a power draw issue :).

It's a LOT faster than standard HDD's, but it's kinda pricey at $1100 lol.

Have you tried the Flash Card? It's a lot cheaper now $140 @ newegg plus $10 for 2.5" adapter. I'll love have this mod if it works.

No go for the Samsung Spinpoint HM080GC. Just shipped it back. Found a Toshiba 120GB drive MK1234GAX at Fry's... Mrre space than I wanted, but if it works....

It should work, at least for me.

Thanks for the quick reply. So it worked for you? Did it improved the performance? and are you using it now? Any cons??? Sorry for so many questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this HDD?

http://www.impactcomputers.com/p000384300.html

Its a toshiba 7200rpm and it is pata. From what I've read, it appears the avic does a check to ensure only toshiba drives are used. This drive should pass that and give us a speed increase. Let me know if someone has tried this and I missed it....

Its definately not cheap, but if it works it might be worth it for the speed difference/increase in size (even if capped at 40GB or what ever).

Eric

Has anyone tried this HDD?

http://www.impactcomputers.com/p000384300.html

Its a toshiba 7200rpm and it is pata. From what I've read, it appears the avic does a check to ensure only toshiba drives are used. This drive should pass that and give us a speed increase. Let me know if someone has tried this and I missed it....

Its definately not cheap, but if it works it might be worth it for the speed difference/increase in size (even if capped at 40GB or what ever).

Eric

This drive appears to be a Hitachi drive used in Toshiba notebooks. Toshiba does not make a 7200 RPM PATA drive that I have been able to find.