AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna Mounting!!

I mount all my installs under the front dash. Make sure no metal is over the antenna. I just silicone it down and all is well. No one wants to see the antenna and you don't have to.

I mounted my under the dash too, no need for silicone however, I agree that nobody wants to see it, I have my sirius antenna on top of the cab and would like to move that somewhere too, preferrably i would like to mount it by the 3rd brake light but would need to feed it under the headliner somehow, some day I'll get to it

BTW, my signal status displays reception from all of the satellites shown

I never trust the sticky tape. I like silicon because it doesn't fall off, but you can still remove it completely if and when you need to.

I always put the satellite radio antennas outside the vehicle. Because reception sometimes cuts out I like to put them in the best possible location. Plus if you put it inside the vehicle and it cuts out the customer usually comes back and wants it located outside for better reception. I have mounted XM antennas inside under the dash pad before and not had problems, but I don't do that unless the customer asks that I hide the antenna.

Yes GPS antenna is mounted on a metal base under the dash as well. No need for sticky tape either. And trust me, it's not going anywhere. If you have installed in a Silverado you would know where I am talking about.

I did not mean that I was intending to place my Sirius antenna inside the cab. I would still like it mounted outside on the roof of the cab. Currently, I have it mounted above the windsheild (as shown in Sirius' installation guide), off-centered the equivalent and opposite side the shark fin that houses my On-Star and factory XM antennas (the older silverados had two separate antennas for those features; i located my Sirius antenna where the second one would have been). I would prefer that I wire the antenna lead under the headliner and through the opening exposed when the third brake light is removed. It would be six inches or so forward from the top center of my rear window.

I would not like to imagine what kind of reception is received by the satellite radio antenna if it were placed inside the vehicle. I live in one of the flatest regions of the U.S., and still the signal cuts out easily when I drive around tall objects such as rows of trees and downtown buildings. I was not able to distinguish and differences in reception between the antenna supplied with my Sirius tuner or the factory XM antenna.

• 2 weeks later...