AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna Mounting!!

I am curious to where and how most people installed their GPS Antenna. I am not sure if people put it upside down on the rear window, flat on the back dash, or in the front of the car somewhere. Let me know some feedback. I have a 99 Honda Civic Coupe. So pictures etc, of that type of car would be great. I am a very picky guy, so I don't want to install it till I know of a good clean place. Also I don't want it on the outside of my car at all.

Thanks.

Left corner of dashboard. Don't have to worry about leaks from routing it outside of the car, it never loses satellite signal, and I pretty much don't even notice it's there most of the time. It's also pretty much the easiest place to put it.

DSC02425.jpg

Sweet, thanks for the fast feedback. I will continue to wait for more replies as I don't want to rush into installing it that way, cuz then I bet someone will reply with another great spot! Time will tell...keep the posts a commin'!

Also if it is installed upside down on the rear or front window...does that flat black mat need to be used? And then the antenna sticks to that? I am still not certain.

i ALWAYS put them on the outside of car. i hear what your saying about leaks ive had to fix a few myself. if theres not enuff room to hide the wire in the windshield seal then i put i t on the trunk lid

I figure why expose it to the elements if I don't have to, you know?

Just means it's gonna last longer.

Also if you go through an automatic car wash, if you don't take it off you risk either having it ripped off or slid around and scratching your paint.

Admittedly, I am a complete novice when it comes to doing navigation installs, but I left mine sitting on the dash for a week after wiring the hu, just to see how the reception was, and honestly, it was fine. I mounted it in the corner shortly afterward, and haven't had any issues. Really wish I had tried that before I stuck that ugly sirius antenna on the rear deck lid.

So no one has mounted it upside down on the rear window up it a corner so it is not too noticeable? That is where I wanna put mine. Just don't know if the signal will be good upside down! Guess there is only one way to find out if no one has done it.....try it myself...ha

upside down won't work well as the magnet in the unit will block some reception. The cleanest look with decent reception is to install the antenna under the dash, as far forward as possible. Secure it to a flat metal bracket or use the magnetic pad.

In my vehicle, it's under the dash, pushed as far forward as possible, almost near the window, but still under the dash. It's velcroed to plastic and I didn't even use the metallic pad. I get 5-8 satellites with 1 to 3 green signal bars. You only need 3 satellites for the GPS to calibrate properly. Of course the more the better.

Most OEM nav units also mount their antennas under the front dash.

I mount all my installs under the front dash. Make sure no metal is over the antenna. I just silicone it down and all is well. No one wants to see the antenna and you don't have to.

I mounted mine under the dash too, no need for silicone however, I agree that nobody wants to see it, I have my sirius antenna on top of the cab and would like to move that somewhere too, preferrably i would like to mount it by the 3rd brake light but would need to feed it under the headliner somehow, some day I'll get to it

BTW, my signal status displays reception from all of the satellites shown

I mount all my installs under the front dash. Make sure no metal is over the antenna. I just silicone it down and all is well. No one wants to see the antenna and you don't have to.

I mounted mine under the dash too, no need for silicone however, I agree that nobody wants to see it, I have my sirius antenna on top of the cab and would like to move that somewhere too, preferrably i would like to mount it by the 3rd brake light but would need to feed it under the headliner somehow, some day I'll get to it

BTW, my signal status displays reception from all of the satellites shown

I never trust the sticky tape. I like silicon because it doesn't fall off, but you can still remove it completely if and when you need to.

I always put the satellite radio antennas outside the vehicle. Because reception sometimes cuts out I like to put them in the best possible location. Plus if you put it inside the vehicle and it cuts out the customer usually comes back and wants it located outside for better reception. I have mounted XM antennas inside under the dash pad before and not had problems, but I don't do that unless the customer asks that I hide the antenna.