AVIC411.com

HTC One M8 with 6000NEX?

Hi All,

Long time reader and finally need to ask some opinions.

Currently have an iPhone 5s IOS 8.1.1 with a Pioneer 6000NEX firmware 1.08. Disappointed with Car Play.

"Hey Siri" works once, then fails.

Disconnect iPhone from Pioneer during call results in no audio to/from phone, requiring phone reboot.

Have an open case with Apple tier 2 support for over a month. Apple has not addressed these issues and I am ready to upgrade and dump Apple. Almost all of my apps have an Android version, so migration is not an issue.

Looking to go with an HTC One M8 and wondering if anyone has this combo? The One M8 supports MHL. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for a debate of Apple vs Android, just want first hand info on the M8 with an NEX receiver.

Thanks

Dave

Yeah, upgraded Appradio 3 to 6000NEX for CarPlay and total disappointment.

Waze blows away Apple maps and the Pioneer navigation.

iPhone 5s with IOS 8.1.1 will NOT run App Radio mode and Pioneer has NOT fixed it.

Pioneer is a horrible company with releasing updates.

Also iDataLink is sort of a joke. The Pioneer units won't show gauges and other vehicle info.

Don't know if I would recommend the Pioneer/Apple combo after this fiasco. Lot of money to pay for something as buggy as this.

I even jailbroke my iphone6, hoping to make the experience better, but apps i jailbroke for aren't compatible with ios 8 yet. I agree, not a recommended combo. What really sucks, i love the nex and love the iphone6, but connected, the only usage for me is Bluetooth phone calls. Not what i invisioned with all the hype from pioneer and apple.

I have the HTC One M8 with the 4000NEX and they work great together. I use the MHL/HDMI connection and I have my phone rooted using AppRadio Unchained Reloaded. It connects everytime with a problem and sounds awesome.

Glad you posted this. My wife is up for upgrade and wants iphone6, think i will get M8 and give her my iphone6.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the phone and NEX. My experience with the iPhone 6, CarPlay and the 8000NEX has been nothing but positive. I tried and quickly stopped using AppRadio due to all of the issues that have been well documented here.

It seems to me that Apple has done a good job integrating CarPlay with the NEX radio. Most of the time going back and forth between the two systems is seamless. As far as the maps thing is concerned, I have no issues with the Apple maps. While Waze is cool, any crowd sourcing app needs input from its users in order to make it work. Unless you live in a urban area, it really does not work well. And traffic is the one redeeming quality with Waze. That's just my opinion of course.

iDatalink has been a bit of a disappointment for me as well. The only thing I am getting out of it is my steering wheel buttons. In hindsight, I guess I should have choosen a less expensive option to get what I needed. At the time I was a Ford Sync users for many years, and I did not want to give that up. And iDatalink promised that. But, CarPlay does everything that Sync did, plus it's a lot more speech friendly with Siri.

I spend most of my commute time listening to my music library, Sirius Radio or podcasts. I am still waiting on a

true Beats CarPlay app, but I can stream that from my iPhone easy enough. I do plan on using the MBL At Bat CarPlay app when the season starts, but beyond that, I'm not sure what kind of apps I would use... but here is my wish list.

Gas Buddy app to find the cheapest gas when going down the road

Yelp

Waze traffic inside of Apple Maps

Travel pointers to talk about specifics of an area that one is driving through. This would be kind of cool and educational

What's on your wish list?

I made the change to the HTC M8. Using the Pioneer HDMI to MHL adapter that comes with the Pioneer CD-AH200 cable kit. I haven't had a lot of time to set it all up yet as I normally don't drive that vehicle during the week. Initial setup has Appradio mode working with Car Media Player and Waze. When I bring up the voice input in Waze I find it does not mute the music, but I do remember in Nav settings in the 6000NEX I did not have it set to mute. Will try that.