AVIC411.com

AViC-8000 nex appmode for android question

Guys i`m torn between the 8000 nex or the kenwood dnn991hd, I had the dnn990hd before and that unit was so slow, also I`m wanting a captive touch screen, so with the  App mode on the 8000 nex, so say if i`m using the Appmode for my android and running waze will I be able to still listen to Sirius satellite radio when running the app mode? I know the navigation in pioneer is ok, but the in the DNN991HD it has garmin which the 990 had, i really liked that, but looks like the Pioneer starts up faster, which I want the most, so I always listen to Sirius, that`s my main concern is do I lose Sirius when I switch to app mode to Run Waze? 

My apologies in advance, if this post comes across as hijacking this thread, I'll remove it or move it, not my intent. But the Waze and Android mentions caught my eye. :)

I don't have an answer as I have an AVIC-5000NEX and even though Pioneer markets it as being able to use AppRadio compatible apps, I've had zero success (any advice/links to other threads welcome). But I wanted to mention a few things regarding Waze and guess-timates on what might be coming down the pipe from Apple.

My understanding is Waze belongs to Google and there is no plan to allow it to run in CarPlay. Not sure how true that is, or whether it's just Google not wanting to submit Waze for review (#1) because they own it and are coming out with Android Auto (#2). I'd absolutely LOVE to be able to use Waze, but not if it costs me all the integration that CarPlay gives me. As an iPhone user who manages/supports thousands of Macs in enterprise, I'm interested in what Android Auto will bring, but not likely to switch. I love that there is competition though, hopefully that'll be the kick in the rear-end that Apple needs to get hot with CarPlay.

There hasn't been a lot out of Apple on any new developments, acknowledging bugs, etc., and the only place to submit feedback that will get back to the CarPlay team is through the iPhone feedback site (#3). Yes, I submitted a Feature Request asking for a CarPlay Feedback page. :)

Apple does all single feedback submitted, and I'm sure they've got a folder for all mine (30+). I'm hoping we get an early Christmas present...CarPlay 1.1 or 2.0. One can only hope.

I also with Google success with Android Auto, healthy competition is good for everyone. :)

#1 https://developer.apple.com/contact/carplay/

#2 http://www.android.com/auto/

#3 https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Happy holidays!

Don

Yes ,you can still listen to Sirius satellite radio,when  using waze , i do it all the time you will be able to adjust the volume for both, independent of each other when doing so,this combination gives you the best of both worlds

Awesome, thanks for answering my question :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is Waze belongs to Google and there is no plan to allow it to run in CarPlay.

You've got to love Jobs for being such an ass that Google told him to pound sand and now...as is usually the case with Apple...the consumer takes it in the back side.  Hate to speak ill of the dead, but that man created a lot of heartache for his consumers.

What I don't understand it how people like Pioneer (and others) cater most of their programming and offerings to this company.  There are millions more Android phones out there than iphones. 

You've got to love Jobs for being such an ass that Google told him to pound sand and now...as is usually the case with Apple...the consumer takes it in the back side.  Hate to speak ill of the dead, but that man created a lot of heartache for his consumers.

What I don't understand it how people like Pioneer (and others) cater most of their programming and offerings to this company.  There are millions more Android phones out there than iphones.

Apple is only the most successful company on earth right now. They are, because they care about their customers. They provide a great product that just works. Google is nothing more than a company that wants to sell who you are to others. And Android is another vehicle to make that happen.

Don't diss what you don't understand.

Apple is only the most successful company on earth right now. They are, because they care about their customers. They provide a great product that just works. Google is nothing more than a company that wants to sell who you are to others. And Android is another vehicle to make that happen.

Don't diss what you don't understand.

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.  Steve Jobs screwed his people up one side and down the other.  For example...he sold one of his phones for an outrageous price (and the phone was a POS to boot) and when he discovered he was way overpriced, he dropped the price to near half of what it was.  And the folks who stepped up and paid the freight the first time??  He said sorry...screw you. 

Yea...a top notch company.  There are a lot of companies who are extremely successful who have put track marks up the back of the customers to get there.  Apple leads the bunch of them. 

I have to agree that Apple makes products that are useful...and I may have to break down and buy one some day because companies like Pioneer cater to them...so if I want to get the full benefit of Pioneer's products, I may have to use an Apple product.  However, that doesn't change the fact that Apple is one of the most miserable companies in the world to their customers. 

I understand perfectly well.  I just don't have blinders on.