AVIC411.com

8100 or 8000nex, who uses anti-glare screen protectors? Best one?

It's funny that I read this just now.  I just cut down and stuck on an anti-glare screen protector this evening.  I used one that was originally designed for a 2012 nexus 7, and cut it down to size.  As with anything that will reduce glare, it will also reduce some of the screen sharpness, but also help with fingerprints.

Here's a link to what I ordered from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OHRJ32

Considering the price ($7 for 3), it's well worth it even if you throw two of them away.

• 2 weeks later...

Just measure with a ruler. Cut it a bit small so it doesn't overlap the rounded corners.

I honestly don't remember the exact dimensions I used. I did a rough cut and trimmed as needed using a paper cutter (for perfectly straight cuts.)

• 2 weeks later...

I found a few via amazon for the 8000nex, which is the same screen size, I'm going to try this one out, will let you know how it goes. If not, I'll go the custom cut route, but pretty sure this one will do what I want. Appreciate everyone's help.

http://www.amazon.com/Lexerd-AVIC-8000nex-Anti-glare--Dash-Protector/dp/B00KGKLAL2

I ordered and installed this one for my 8000nex. It works well for the glare but be aware that it doesn't cover the whole front face of the HU. It should be installed so that it's centered right to left and flush with the bottom of the screen. It will cover the "business" part of the screen, but it will leave the Pioneer logo at the top exposed and a gap of about 1/4 inch exposed on the left and right.

I got a custom size protector from Best Skins. It cost about $14 and you can usually find a 10% off online coupon. Here are the dimensions I used for a perfect fit:

Width: 166mm

Height: 84mm

Corner Raduis: 1mm

Film: Matte

Overall Size (just for ordering purposes): 200 x 140mm

This will cover the entire glass, except for a 1mm undercut on both sides (as recommended by Best Skins to prevent peeling). You don't notice the undercut unless you look really, really close. There is a slight loss of sharpness (to be expected), but no more fingerprint problem. Less glare, but not totally gone. If you have ever had a Garmin GPS or a built-in nav system in your car, the look and feel of the screen is identical.

Overall look:

post-130414-0-77709000-1432766601_thumb.jpg

Taken head on with a flash. With a stock screen, you would see me, my phone, and the flash. Now only the flash is seen:

post-130414-0-73239100-1432766605_thumb.jpg

Close up to show undercut:

post-130414-0-43444300-1432766609_thumb.jpg

post-130414-0-52906400-1432766612_thumb.jpg

I got a custom size protector from Best Skins. It cost about $14 and you can usually find a 10% off online coupon. Here are the dimensions I used for a perfect fit:

Width: 166mm

Height: 84mm

Corner Raduis: 1mm

Film: Matte

Overall Size (just for ordering purposes): 200 x 140mm

This will cover the entire glass, except for a 1mm undercut on both sides (as recommended by Best Skins to prevent peeling). You don't notice the undercut unless you look really, really close. There is a slight loss of sharpness (to be expected), but no more fingerprint problem. Less glare, but not totally gone. If you have ever had a Garmin GPS or a built-in nav system in your car, the look and feel of the screen is identical.

Overall look:

attachicon.gifDSC_0074.JPG

Taken head on with a flash. With a stock screen, you would see me, my phone, and the flash. Now only the flash is seen:

attachicon.gifDSC_0075.JPG

Close up to show undercut:

attachicon.gifDSC_0077.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0078.JPG

Thanks for sharing!  I'm glad to see the custom Skin worked well for you.  This is the perfect application for it.  We noticed a couple people ordered the same size custom screen protector for the same device so we decided to make it easy and add this to our catalog as a standard product.  

I'll avoid being spammy and posting a link but you can find it in the Other>Car Electronics category or a quick search for Pioneer will bring it right up.  It's just available in matte for now so if anyone wants it in glossy just let us know.

Cheers!

Michael at Best Skins Ever.

Thanks for sharing!  I'm glad to see the custom Skin worked well for you.  This is the perfect application for it.  We noticed a couple people ordered the same size custom screen protector for the same device so we decided to make it easy and add this to our catalog as a standard product.  

I'll avoid being spammy and posting a link but you can find it in the Other>Car Electronics category or a quick search for Pioneer will bring it right up.  It's just available in matte for now so if anyone wants it in glossy just let us know.

Cheers!

Michael at Best Skins Ever.

This is great news! Thanks Michael!

Make the opening a little bigger and install the unit with a little tilt down. That's what I did and I rarely have screen glare

U have a picture of yours. I wish I would of had told the stereo place to tilt it. It sucks facing up towards light.