AVIC411.com

replacing factory microphone

Is the microphone that came with the z1 a mini 3.5 jack?
is it possible to replace this mic?

I wonder if using a lavalier microphone would allow for better VR and phone calls.

i'm wondering if a mic for film production like these would work:
[url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=244802&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... Navigation[/url]
I don't think it's a stock mic, one guy here tried replacing it with another mic and it didn't quite fit exactly the same (something like the depth is not the same) and it fried his Z1. I don't know if that would happen with everyone one or every mic, but just a warning.
I haven't received my V1 yet, so I don't know what to expect from the VR and voice quality on calls, but I have to think on a device like this, that highlights the voice command as a main feature they would have used a relatively high quality mic.

If it works as well as the OEM system in my Acura I'll be thrilled, and that's the benchmark I'm aiming for.
My wife has an 06 Acura MDX and it's not as good as that. It's not bad, I would give mine 80% - 90% as good as the acura. The mic is pretty cheap looking but it seems to recognize my voice as well as the acura, but I think the acura knows more "words" or can handle more combinations better.
I know with the Parrot kit I had in my car the voice quality for other callers wasn't very good, but it improved dramatically when I switched to the OEM VW/Audi mic that is designed for installation in the overhead console.

I'll have to see if there is any way to improve the sound quality when mine finally comes in.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]My wife has an 06 Acura MDX and it's not as good as that. It's not bad, I would give mine 80% - 90% as good as the acura. The mic is pretty cheap looking but it seems to recognize my voice as well as the acura, but I think the acura knows more "words" or can handle more combinations better.[/quote]

I would completely agree with Steve's assessment. The VR on the Z1 isn't as good as what's on my 06 Acura TL...but it's not bad either. I'm thnking about buying the mirror from Ford that has the mic in it and seeing if I can't integrate it to the Z1 and try that. But honestly...the only complaint about the mic on the Z1 is the feedback from phone calls. It seems to be fine with everything else.
I have the mic on top of the driver's pillar just to the left of the sun visor. I have the speaker set to the right side only. I haven't had anyone complain about feedback, but I noticed on a couple of calls to my wife (she was using the Z1) that I got an occasional echo. Just once in a while for a word or two. It isn't bad enough to worry about...but I might play with it just for grins and giggles and see what can be done with it.
[quote name="stryfox"]I have tried everything and still have echo.
It is unacceptable.
How do you adjust the mic. sensitivity?
I have not come across that setting.
Please help.[/quote]

There is no adjustment for that that I know of or have ever heard of. I would suggest a different placement position of the mic to start. Another thing that might help is to put a piece of foam rubber over the mic. I really think that might help. Worth a shot at least!
My mic is so bad. I had it mounted on teh steering column ( I have a an FJ Cruiser). About the only command it seems to recognize is Home, Back, and Cancel route. It's so bad, my kids have be hit it and say words to see what it recognizes. Funny in a sad sort of way considering how much the Z1 costs.
I'm not a wiring guy, so I'll ask this question in the hope that someone else might be able to help out. Can you cut the mic wire and wire a new mic to the existing mic wire, so you use the connector that fits into the Z1? I have solved the echo issue with mine by using electrical tape over the entire mic, but it really kills the sound quality - people say that it sounds like I'm in a tunnel and there are no highs/mids to the voice tone. When I poked one hole in the tape (with a pin) to allow some air to get in to improve sound quality, the echo came back...very frustrating!!! There is no mic gain/sensitivity control and moving the sound between speakers has done nothing for my echo problem...let me know what you think...
I was fed up with the feedback during calls and tried my own experiment... The mic that came with the mercedes is located under the rear view mirror. I spliced the Pioneer mic wire and installed the Merc Benz mic. It was worst. The MB mic picked up more sound thus giving more feedback. I had to resolder the original Pioneer mic back...

I don't think it's the mic as much as the unit not giving the option to turn the volume down independenttly between voice volume and how you hear the sound over the speakers. When the unit is turned down, it reduces the feedback, but then I can't hear....maybe i'm deaf...