AVIC411.com

HDMI input for Smartphone on NEX series

I will soon have an 8100NEX, which I am purchasing for Android Auto.
I can not use Android Auto yet with my phone (Verizon Galaxy S5) and I'm wondering about an alternate method of using Google Maps on my phone.

Is it possible using HDMI? Can I control the screen via the Head Unit or must I use AppRadio or something like that?

You can mirror your phone to the 8100NEX via HDMI using a Samsung MHL adapter. If you want to have control from your head unit's screen you will also need to root your phone and use ARUnchained Reloaded. The app is expensive (as far as apps go) but it does exactly what you are looking for.

You can mirror your phone to the 8100NEX via HDMI using a Samsung MHL adapter. If you want to have control from your head unit's screen you will also need to root your phone and use ARUnchained Reloaded. The app is expensive (as far as apps go) but it does exactly what you are looking for.

Thanks for this. 

And if MirrorLink worked (I think 8100 models are still on MirrorLink 1.0, whilst the S5 regardless of carrier is a 1.1 implementation), I could use that as well? 

Thanks for this. 

And if MirrorLink worked (I think 8100 models are still on MirrorLink 1.0, whilst the S5 regardless of carrier is a 1.1 implementation), I could use that as well? 

I'm not sure. In theory mirrorlink works but in reality Samsung devices can sometimes be contrary. I would ask the developer of ARUR (Area 51) for his input before proceeding.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you know if your handheld device supports MirrorLink? Is there an app on the phone? I have an 8100 Nex and I purchased the MU200 cable and I can't seem to get it working.

I think the mu200 will only work with android auto, I think the mhl adapter has to be used for mirror link. I know it has to be used for app radio and app radio unchained. 

I have played around with the samsung s5(sprint s5 sport) rooted with ar unchained, using 4.4 kitkat. and have since unrooted and installed lollipop 5.0. I have not tried with it. (my phone is iphone6) and the samsung is not activated, just got it to play with on the nex. I did have to purchase the mhl adapter, and i did have total control over the phone and all the apps with ar unchained. Just curious, why the verizon s5 does not work with android auto or does it have to have 5.01 lollipop?

Thanks for the update -- To be honest, I am done with purchasing all these crazy cables, installing apps and all these crazy configurations to connect my device to the Head unit.. I am pretty content with connecting my ipod Classic to the radio and connecting my phone to the radio via Bluetooth to make and receive calls.  Car Play / Android Auto/ App Radio/ Mirror Link / AR Unchained...It all seems to be overkill if you ask me.

The next generation pioneer radio should have all this via wifi.  No need for all these HDMI, Lightining, USB cable nonsense.

Thanks for the update -- To be honest, I am done with purchasing all these crazy cables, installing apps and all these crazy configurations to connect my device to the Head unit.. I am pretty content with connecting my ipod Classic to the radio and connecting my phone to the radio via Bluetooth to make and receive calls.  Car Play / Android Auto/ App Radio/ Mirror Link / AR Unchained...It all seems to be overkill if you ask me.

The next generation pioneer radio should have all this via wifi.  No need for all these HDMI, Lightining, USB cable nonsense.

Fair enough, getting this set up can be admittedly complicated, particularly if you are not overly familiar with what makes your phone tick. On the other hand it opens up interesting possibilities once you do have it up and running.

I tend to agree with you, While i did buy all the cables, adapters and other BS, if only to see what was possible. I never use CarPlay, seldom use AppRadio. I have smartphone setup for usb, and calls are made via BT. All music and ripped DVDs are on either solid state drive or 256gb SDCARD. Pandora is available, along with HDRadio. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I have the 8000nex for a few months now. I was able to get ARunchained to work on my Samsung Note 2 via MHL adapter. Now I got a new phone, Samsung Note Edge and it's rooted running a custom Android Lollipop. Now I can't get ARunchained to work. It doesn't connect via Bluetooth but I was able to mirror the display. You guys know if the Note Edge is supported?