AVIC411.com

D3 won't turn off amps

That's how it works. You can not turn the D3 unit fully off unless you turn off the ignition. As long as the ignition is on, the D3 unit will be powered on, regardless of whether it's actually performing any functions, and so in turn, the amps will always be on when the ignition is on. The only difference between the D3 and your old unit is you could turn the power off to your old unit with the car still on.

In short, the ignition is the only power switch for the D3 and your amps.

the reason it stays on with the ignition is in case you need nav voice guidance, the unit would not have to wait for the amps to come on, speak, then turn off. was much easier to just have a turn on that was linked to the ignition. that way, amps were already on and no need to wait. i had an old zapco amp that would take almost 7 seconds to turn on. traveling at 70 mph(or more as my case usually is) :shock: you could miss your turn. that would suck.

the reason it stays on with the ignition is in case you need nav voice guidance, the unit would not have to wait for the amps to come on, speak, then turn off. was much easier to just have a turn on that was linked to the ignition. that way, amps were already on and no need to wait. i had an old zapco amp that would take almost 7 seconds to turn on. traveling at 70 mph(or more as my case usually is) :shock: you could miss your turn. that would suck.

Oh, alright! As long as that's how it's supposed to operate, I guess I'm happy with it. Although, I would think that if I turn the radio off, along with all of the navigation, that it would turn the amps off also.

So do your D3's keep the amps on ALWAYS, no matter what??

I have a d3 that was draining my battery, I thought. Took back to installer today and trouble shooted for 1 hour. Even unhooked radio completely and still had a large mliamp draw. Come to find out we checked the stock bose amp fuse. What was happening was the amp was not powering down even when vehicle was off. Installer tied the amp wire into a relay and the ignition wire so the amp will only power on now when the ignition is on. After he did that we checked the draw and it was great. Could have been the amp itself but I had no problems until d3 install. So I hope that solved the problem. I am going to let the truck sit until next Saturday and see if I continue to have a dead battery after truck sits that long.