AVIC411.com

Android Auto Not Working (2nd Gen Moto X & 8100NEX)

I am not able to get android auto to work on my new install.  I have a 2nd generation Moto X (2014), running Android 5.0 (lollipop).  I have installed Android Auto.  When I connect it to the unit via USB 2, which is configured for Android Auto via the menus, nothing happens.  The App does not launch and it appears to make no attempt to run Android Auto.  Calling pioneer for assistance is a waste of time.  I am very technical and am assuming there may be some compatibility issue with my version of lollipop and android auto.  I have the latest version of google services installed if that helps.  Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

AVIC 8100NEX is on 1.03 (latest FW).

Phone: Moto X 2014 (2nd Gen) 5.0 - Verizon

Thanks for the replies...tried a number of cables and given that another phone works using the exact same cables I am 'assuming' that it's the combination of the Moto X 2nd Gen and Verizon.  Hopefully someone else on Verizon has the same phone and can post.  I also tried a friend's Samsung Galaxy S5 on Verizon and it did NOT work (running Lollipop 5.0 flat).  Verizon, as usual, seems to have done something with their custom ROM that prevents phones from working with Android Auto.

Thanks for the replies...tried a number of cables and given that another phone works using the exact same cables I am 'assuming' that it's the combination of the Moto X 2nd Gen and Verizon.  Hopefully someone else on Verizon has the same phone and can post.  I also tried a friend's Samsung Galaxy S5 on Verizon and it did NOT work (running Lollipop 5.0 flat).  Verizon, as usual, seems to have done something with their custom ROM that prevents phones from working with Android Auto.

The Verizon S5 issue has been corrected recently. I have been using AA since around May 31 with no issues.

I have a 4100NEX and MotoX 2nd Gen on Verizon and ran into similar problems at first.  Ended up wiping data for Android Auto, Google Play Services, and Google App and tried at least three different cables.  Probably a little overkill but I finally got it working after a frustrating 30 minutes, but now it works flawlessly.

Also noticed my phone needs to be unlocked before it connects.  I tried setting up the NEX as a "trusted device" but the way Pioneer pairs the device messes it up.  Hopefully this gets fixed eventually.

UPDATE: I was able to get it working on the Moto X 2nd gen on verizon.  I had to update FW to 1.03, which was the first thing I had done.  I also needed a different cable.  For whatever reason the motorola cable I had would not work with my phone even though it worked fine on the Samsung Galaxy S6.  I had tried multiple cables, just all before updating the FW (bad luck on my part).  Had I tried a cable after the FW update, I would have figured it out then.  The reason I did not suspect my cable after the update was 'cause it worked on my friend's phone.  Moto X must be more sensitive to the cable type.

Anyway, thank you for the replies on this.  As an aside, I called pioneer on this issue and they assured me that the FW did not fix anything for Android Auto.  That is NOT true.  I was just at the installer and we tested my phone on a 1.01 system and it did NOT work.  Updated FW, and it worked fine using the same HW/cables.  Anyone who does have issues with Android Auto definitely needs to go to the latest FW, then start checking cables, etc.

I have a 4100NEX and MotoX 2nd Gen on Verizon and ran into similar problems at first.  Ended up wiping data for Android Auto, Google Play Services, and Google App and tried at least three different cables.  Probably a little overkill but I finally got it working after a frustrating 30 minutes, but now it works flawlessly.

Also noticed my phone needs to be unlocked before it connects.  I tried setting up the NEX as a "trusted device" but the way Pioneer pairs the device messes it up.  Hopefully this gets fixed eventually.

Buy a Motorola KeyLink. It works great as a SmartLock device. I keep it on my keychain. or you can just throw the keylink in your glovebox. battery lasts quite a few months on it (not the one year they claim tho)

• 3 weeks later...