AVIC411.com

Should 2008 Update use Navteq instead of TeleAtlas?

Do you think that for 2008, Pioneer should switch to Navteq?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that for 2008, Pioneer should switch to Navteq?

• Yes, switch to NavTeq Maps
    • No, stay with TeleAtlas Maps

I leave in Canada and honestly, the navigation is poor. The newest roads/poi does not show in the maps. I went into the TeleAtlas website and see the latest version of their maps and nothing is there either. I am worried that the 2008 version (for where I live) would be an exact copy of the 2007. So far, I have sent 20 change request for their map. Imagine!

So I went into Navteq just to take a look and I found out that everything was perfectly up to date in their maps! All the changes I submitted were already built in their map and even found other modification. This is a huge update for me. I am pretty sure Navteq would have updated maps for most of you!

The other thing is that the Avic uses Navtraffic. As the name says, NavTraffic uses Navteq Traffic software to generate the traffic information. So by switching, Navteq would be able to provide a full solution and probably better options then merging the product of 2 competitors.

I sent a email to Pioneer and they told me to coverage of Teleatlas was bigger as it would cover Alaska and Hawaii. First, I am pretty sure that most of the market is not in those regions! (Sorry). Also, I have checked NavTeq and they do cover those regions.

Personally, for all those reason, I really think they should consider switching to Navteq Maps.

So my question is to know if you think that in 2008, Pioneer should switch to Navteq.

NavTraffic is a service provided by XM. Probably not a decision Pioneer had any say in so I don't think we will see any improvement in NavTraffic, although I wish the traffic flow would update more often

I don't think also but I think 2 product from the same company would work better then 2 product from competitors!

its weird - the only gripe i have with the d3 is the navigation - i mean, MOST standalone units are better (in terms of poi's and user-interface)

its kind of embarassing to have my friends see the thing for the first time and play with the navigation unit - enter in a simple address like 123 main street and you STILL have to go through a number of other clicks to ensure that you select the "correct" address (which can be difficult if youve never been there or dont really know the area that well) and then start to navigate...

on the flip side, i only paid $700 for the thing instead of the $2K some of the other units with nav cost...

i had a magellan navi unit before i bought the d3, the magellan runs on navteq... even though the processor seemed a bit low in routing and rerouting, it was almost always dead on with a quick and efficient route regardless of whether i chose "shortest distance/time" or "use only highway" etc. the d3 certainly routes and reroutes fairly quickly, but it tends to forget my car can't fly over non-driveable areas.