AVIC411.com

Can the IP Bus cable be installed backwards? No sound.

I just routed and installed my GEX P10XMT XM unit to my D3. After spending an hour routing the cable very nicely hidden, to my horror I realized I routed it so the blue end was towards the XM unit, and the black end was towards the head unit.

When connected this way the head unit seems to detect the XM unit, but I get no sound. I get sound from everything else just fine.

Anyone know if the IP bus cable matters if it is installed backwards like this?

OK I reversed the cable, checked to make sure all connections were in tight. Now the black end is at the XM output, and the blue end is plugged into the Head unit.

No difference, I can still see the XM channels, artist, etc etc just fine, I can even switch channels. The artist/song updates with each song on the display so I know I'm getting info from the XM unit.

But still no sound. I'm starting to wonder if the XM is only output on the preamp RCA's? I have my Avic hooked up thru the speaker leads directly to my stock amp. The radio/DVD's and navigation work perfectly this way.

Any ideas anyone?

I'm not running traffic so don't see what the purpose would be. But in any account I did hook up the data cable and it makes no difference at all.

I actually also temporarily purchased another D3 to see if the HU was having problems, same thing. I also tried another IP Bus cable, same thing. The only thing I can figure is that the XM unit itself is defective.

Hopefully someone else on here has an idea.

Blue/white is amp turn on, not solid blue.

What kind of vehicle is it and do you have an amp running your speakers?

Huh? Everything else works perfectly, radio, GPS, voice nav, cd's, dvds, etc. The head unit is connected to the stock amp/speakers on a mercedes SL500. I'm not sure what you are asking or what the amp/antenna wiring have to do with it.

I've triple and quadruple checked my connections and everything is connected correctly. Weird thing is that I am getting full XM data, song names, artist, etc etc.

Just for the hell of it I installed my old Terk XMDirect for Pioneer that I used to have on my old Avic P7500DVD. There is also no sound from this unit, but I have read that the XMdirect units don't play well with the Avic D3.

At this point every single item has been swapped out and tested, except the XM unit itself, that's next.